Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lost and found

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lost and found

Postby Lefty » 01 11, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Yesterday coming back from a hunt, a drink thermos was laying on the road in the snow. Looked new, the coffee cold. Im lucky I even recognized what it was.
Ive found good sunglasses snowmobiling. The best mittens frozen beside a mud hole . A $700 tent tarp blowing across the Nevada desert ( I called the company that makes the tent and I would ship it to the owner)
My father-in-law found a 1/2 caret diamond when we drug my daughters moose to the road.
I had a goose decoy bounce out of my pickup,.. Big blue sharpie with my name and phone number,.. never saw that decoy again.
A few years back I left a cow call (diaphragm) on a stump,.. and hour later it was gone
what have you found on the hunt,.. or lost, left.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Lost and found

Postby Tigger » 01 12, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Not much! I found an old diamond wedding ring in some fill I brought in for a low spot in my yard once. Left a water bottle at a pretty little lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. We lost and found my buddies bow release on a hunt a couple years ago. Of course I found some old campsites that had been abandoned.
Tigger

Postby T.B. » 01 12, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Found Leupold binocoulars in Colorado one year. They were half burried and had been there a while but still function . Left a bugle somewhere in Idaho. I'm sure lots of those have been left or lost. Lol
T.B.

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 12, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Add me to the left a bugle list... I lost my binoculars this last elk season and it still irks me thinking about it... they were well used and needed replaced, but still had plenty of use left
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Found a really cool native American (color themed) bandana spread out on a log in a WA wilderness area 25ish or so years ago; I still have it hanging from my rear view mirror in my truck. I've lost a few bugle tubes and hats over the years :?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkduds » 01 12, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I left my favorite swiss army knife by a creek in Big Dominguez Wilderness, never been back to that spot. In Oct. I forgot my replacement swiss A was in my bag when I showed it to TSA @ the airport. Another one bites the dust.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 01 15, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Duds comments reminded me about a knife.
25 years back while hunting the Klicitat river for deer. I took an outdoor bathroom break The next week from some distance I noticed something shining in the sun. Just a small edge of the top of the blade reflected the sunlight.

While squatting the week before my folding knife slipped off my belt. The worse part I never realized my knife was missing
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 16, 2017 •  [Post 8]

This year I found 2 Scott releases, the 1st was crossing stream it was hooked on a log 2 miles from the road the 2nd was 2.5 miles 3/4 of the way up the hill. both were rusted and well be never used again. Maybe I look down to much lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby the weasel » 01 16, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Probably more things than I care to remember...... But one that really hurt was about 4 seasons ago (archery) I forgot 2 sets of scent lock base layers hanging on the barb wire fence behind camp. I remembered them when I was home and doing my hunting laundry. :oops: :cry: . A guy in camp years ago found a gut pile with a nice 6" Gerber non folding knife laying on it. And I've YET to find the spot where they keep these darn Elk tied up!!!
the weasel

First Name: john

Postby saddlesore » 01 19, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I have lost watches, elk calls,ammo pouches, glasses,tack. shooting sticks,tripods, gloves, hats, head lamps. It's a miracle when I don't lose anything on a hunting trip.

The most irksome was a pair of glasses ( fairly expensive) fall out of my pocket and into the hole in the ice when ice fishing. It was 9 ft of crystal clear water and I could see the glasses on the bottom
saddlesore

Postby bow82 » 01 19, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt -- Abe Lincoln
bow82

Postby bow82 » 01 19, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Found this on a turkey hunt a few months after my son was born which made our blended family a family of 7. It goes on every hunt with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt -- Abe Lincoln
bow82

Postby wawhitey » 01 20, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Found this little dude in november while i was deer hunting. Or he found me is more accurate. Doubt hed have survived another night in those woods. Lots of wolves cougs and yotes around that would be all too happy to make a meal out of a 40lb 8 month old pup. Lost half my deer season taking care of him, figuring out what to do, but it was well worth it. Got me a new buddy.
Attachments
daisy_and_jake-1.jpg
daisy_and_jake-1.jpg (382.66 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkduds » 01 20, 2017 •  [Post 14]

U R a good man, Whitey.

Back around the turn of the century I was ML hunting in Sept. on Grand Mesa. A very skinny, skittish herding dog skulked up when I got in the truck to drive home. Didn't want food or water, but hopped in the truck. I took him home, then to the shelter. They followed up on his rabies tag to a vet's office in a town 50 miles away. I got a phone call from a rancher who lost the dog while rounding up his herd on the Nat'l Forest where I hunted. He was thrilled, said the dog had been lost for 2 weeks.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 01 20, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I don't remember, but I know I have found arrows, a couple of knives, and Stringunners barbeque outfit hid under a bush. I think Stringunner repaid me for cleaning up his barbeque mess by cooking some good hotdogs and buns one afternoon.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkhuntfever » 02 03, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Lost a rangefinder in Colorado. Also saw someone had posted a notice they had lost a pistol.
elkhuntfever

Postby TimeOnTarget » 02 03, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I was coming out well after dark in WY one year. It was snowing hard and was super dark. But i knew right where i was going...until i found some boot tracks, I then realized those were my boot tracks. I had made a giant circle. It took me some time to get my bearings even after getting my GPS out.

I was always the guy who said "how can you get lost" Then i went and did it.

i lost myself, but then i found me :D
TimeOnTarget