Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Luckiest elk in the world contest!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Luckiest elk in the world contest!

Postby Jhg » 10 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok everyone, sharpen up your story telling skills. What is the luckiest elk in the world given your own personal hunting experience.? Special points for shots taken...

Here is mine:

I had been playing cat and mouse with a nice 6x and his group of 6 or 8 cows for 3 days. The wind was the big deal breaker all along and it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do each time it was obvious I needed to pull out or get busted. Be smart and hunt another day I kept telling myself. Finally I had them at 50 yards in a really thick scrunch of timber that grew along a small seep. The bull was vocal and I could place him, but dared not approach as I couldn't see him or any other elk for that matter. Then, like it so often plays out there were elk everywhere just seconds before when there were none.
And the bull! OH MY! There he was all magnificent and broadside not a clue in the world I was nearby. He was a skittish one though and I was very careful in raising my bow. Wind quartered across my cheek- perfect. The string was back and full draw my mind quiet the release relaxed. The arrow lept like a laser, razor sharp broadhead almost eager. The arrow filled the sight picture of the spot on the bull I was focusing on a lethal hit there for sure. But it never entered his side.
Then the bull was trying to bolt away- he caught his antlers all thick beamed and sharp tined in the branches of a dead spruce but he fought his way free and was gone.
What the hell?
I walked over to the spot. It was plain as day where he had stood, then where his hoofs tore the soft ground in flight. There across where his his body had been was an unseen twig the size of a pencil that had deflected my arrow (just 6 inches from his hide). He was lucky.
Jhg

Re: Luckiest elk in the world contest!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Nice, good thread Jhb. I've got a few "lucky elk" stories. Here's one that I already had typed up from an old thread.

Six or seven years ago or so I invited a guy from Alaska to hunt with me in WA (he'd recently relocated that summer from AK to WA to work in Seattle's West Marine). Bumped into him in the Hunting Washington forum. Since he was here, Jeff has since relocated to the East coast to manage a West Marine for a year or so and now he's back in Anchorage. I think the season started around the 8th of SEPT or something similar. We did one of my favorite wilderness area hunts that morning and with no luck. We stopped on a game trail a few hundred yards above a small area that has had seasonal wallows in the past (probably around 12:00 by then), about to take a break and munch a snack. Packs off, bows laying on the ground beside us, I told Jeff "well, you never know" and threw out a short locater; I really wanted to get Jeff into a bull as he'd never hunted elk before. Within 35 or 40 seconds, I glanced over my right shoulder, down in the small open draw below us (30 yards or so) and there was very, very nice mature 6 point walking directly towards us. No sound, not a peep, just a very nice 6 point WA Roosey. I dropped below the log we were leaning on and said "Jeff, knock and arrow, knock an arrow".. It all happened way too late and the bull turned and went back down in the direction of the wallow area... The roosey came in not just silently, but double secret probation silent... He had come from the wallow area, over the top of the opposite brushed choked ridge, and was coming to see us without a peep. That incident serves as a constant reminder that impatience is one of my shortcomings (and obviously that one should set up each and every time they call). "I" screwed up an opportunity for my Alaska friend to get a shot at a nice bull by not setting up before I tooted my horn. That bull should have been a pin cushion the way he came in.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I heard a bugle down the draw below where I waited in my tree stand. The wind was in my face and I was about 30 feet above the wallow. It was 10:00 on a warm sunny morning. I was standing and ready to draw my bow. Soon I saw the huge bull approaching; walking behind a single cow. He had less than ten yards to go before I would have a good shot. But as long as he continued to get close, I would wait. It was obvious the wallow immediately in front of me was his destination. She would probably stop for a drink. All of a sudden a cold down draft, like I had not felt all morning hit me right in the back. You know the rest of the story. Bye-Bye elk.
That happened about 10 years ago and it still haunts me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 10 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

First year elk hunting with a bow. Stop to glass and take a break mid morning up about 50 yards from the bottom of a drainage. Throw out a locator bugle. All of a sudden, CRASH! SNAP! CRASH! An Oldsmoblie....no an ELK! was came running across the face in front of us. Not toward us, but across us about 100 yards in front. We sat there dumbfounded and watch it run out of si....no, it was crossing to our side and coming toward us! A spike runs up to us and stops panting at 30 yards. All of us are holding smashed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. none of us made it to our bows in time. we still laugh, err cry about that one.
Tigger

Postby ishy » 10 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

We have a late rifle season for bow hunters the end of October. They have already been hunted for two weeks with rifle hunters and I rarely see anything. I had been on call so couldn't leave till after 7 and had to be back by noon. So I was more out to retrieve cameras than hunt. Having slept at the hospital I had all my gear buried and not very accessible in my rig. All of a sudden there's a cow. I am thinking that's cool, with all the traffic this road gets I don't think I've ever seen an elk in the road during daylight. Then there's another...and another...and now I am scrambling and throwing gear knowing what is probably coming. Frantically I trying to locate bullets. Then he rounds the corner, heavy 340 type 6x6. I still am amazed how nonchalant they acted. Under 100 yards and seemed to be in no hurry, which still wasn't slow enough for me to get a bullet in the gun and off the road until all I could get in the scope was antlers cresting the ridge.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 10 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Oh the pain

Ive told this story. Short version. rock steady , 200 yards, good slow trigger pull,..the bull charged down hill towards me after the shot,..
Scope lens was loose and the shot went wild,.. another guy killed him 20 minutes later, scored 357

Or how about my first archery shot,.. 3rd evening I ever hunted,.. 6x6 bull come charging in.. I use my 21 yard pin,.. cool
bull was at 11 yards,.. head back glunking. bounced an arrow hard off his G-4 and main beam . He stood and looked at the blind for 18 minutes,.. yep I timed him
Or how about,.. oh wait I need a tissue to wipe the tears, while responding to this thread :(
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Not me, but 1 of the guys in our group did this. He was doing some glassing and eating lunch with his buddy, backs again a tree on a hillside meadow. The end of the meadow a spike walk out and he said to his buddy want to shoot a spike he's walking right at us, heck yes he waited a few minutes with his bow all ready to go, the spike turned broadside at 30 yards he was zoned in for the shot and a little bull stepped out, dont shoot a bull is coming. As the bull take the same trail as the first spike he got into range 30 yards broadsided, I'll help him out and get the bull to stop so being a huge whitetail hunter he grunts at the bull........ that bull bolted out of there so fast it made Usain Bolt look slow. The shooter looked over and said in a clam voice. " ya dont do that again" and smiled.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 10 24, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Contest? Does the winner get a prize or just a sympathy party? :lol:

Story one: I had just sat down for a mid day lunch break. I always call when I sit down because I can tell you about several bulls who died during siestas. My brother let out a bugle and lunchbwas immediately terminated when a bull cut him off right in the middle. The thermals were rising and he was below us so itvwas a no brainer. As we got tonhis level he bugled again giving away his location so we stopped and spread out on our side of the small ridge we had come down. All he had to donwas come over the top to get a peek at the cows he was so eager to hook up with. Well he got to about 35 yards which meant I could see the top 2/3 of his antlers but he wouldn’t top the finger. He was shredding a tree stopping every 30 seconds to bugle. He would move away but as soon as I cow called he’d come running right back to the same spot and start tearing up the tree bugling his brains out. I swear he bugled a hundred times! He never did top that finger..... but he was NOT the lucky bull that day. I’m at lunch.... more in a bit.

So as this is all going on we hear thundering hoof beats come over the finger behind the bull and up higher. Another bull, Lucky, is bugling behind a herd of cows. Gotta love September 21st! As he rolls across the ravine the herd begins to sidehill the finger and lose elevation. I moved up a bit and onto their side of the spine. It was a little thick but plenty of holes to shoot through. Next thing I know there they are. At 10 yards the first cows start streaming by. As usual the herd bull is last. As the cow in front of him comes into my best shooting lane she stops dead and turns her head right and looks right at me. I guess Mr Bull thought that was the green light because right away he rears up on his back legs and mounts her. On the first thrust her head moves forward out of the shooting lane. On about thrust number 5 the bulls vitals had come right into the lane. I was totally ready and let the arrow fly...... to parts unknown! It was the first bull I had ever released an arrow at. I have no idea how I missed or whether it went high, low, or hit a branch. The cow moved forward out from under the bull and he started bugling again as they moved away. All the while I expected him to just fall over dead.

I watched that herd move just one finger over and bed down. That evening I had made my way closer but ran out of cover in a wide open burn. With an hour of light left I could hear my brother and a bull going back and forth uphill from me. Then it got late fast and I let out our signal that it was time to call it a day and head back to camp. The signal is about 30 bugles in a row non stop as loud as you can. Nobody could ever mistake it for a real bull..... except that bull from lunch who never did come closer. I had been looking straight uphill when I heard a twig snap to my right. There he was way out in the burn heading right at me. He was about 5 yards higher in elevation. There was no way I could get away with drawing my bow. But.... there was a single Charlie Brown Christmas tree about 20 yards from me. When he got above it he turned straight downhill. As his eyes went behind it I drew and when he came out the other side I ventilated both of his lungs. He barreled straight downhill and piled up about 100 yards below me. I had my very first archery killed bull. A 6 point that netted 260 3/8 making Pope and Young by the width of my pinky finger. He is the bugling bull on the right in my profile picture. I never did see Mr. Lucky again. But I know he almost ran out of luck in the middle of getting lucky that day!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 10 24, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Ok a bull who has his eyes rolled back in his head oblivious to everything around him and is missed at under 10 yards is pretty luck. But this story is about the luckiest freakin bull on earth.

One crisp opening day of Wyoming’s rifle season found me sitting at a favorite locating spot we call the Glassing Tree. I saw some elk and a small bull in the morning then close to last light I spotted a nice 6 point bull on the far ridge. As always I looked over the trees and rocks over there so that I’d be able to pinpoint the spot he was in once I got over there. The next morning I got my hind quarters up early, saddled up and made the long treck to his area. I’m sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that he never showed up. The next day I went the opposite direction and up high to my upper honey hole. Up there I passed on a 4 point bull at 75 yards and at the very end of the day I made my way back to the lip of the ridge so I could get a peek way over to where I had seen that bull. There he was by the same bright yellow patch of aspens thumbing his nose at me. This at least told me he felt safe there in spite of the fact that there is moderate pressure down where he was. By now my one partner had a nice 6 point bull hanging in camp and my other partner had missed a decent bull. So the next morning I went low again and my plan went exactly as expected. He never showed. Don’t you love it when a plan comes together? :roll:

I camped out at that spot for 2 days and never saw him again. I took a look back in the direction he had come from and saw nothing but moose. So I figured I’d come from over by the Glassing Tree, ride my horse down the trail that follows the creek down the gut and hike out the bench that was at the same elevation I’d seen him. It isn’t often I am hunting a specific bull but the nose thumbing thing had me a wee bit peeved. :evil:

Mind you I had never been down that trail so I just blindly rode down there until I got the feeling I was in the zone and tied off my two horses. Then I hiked about 3 minutes further downhill before I saw a single super fresh pile of elkduds right next to the small creek. Hmm. Immediately after crossing the creek I came upon what looked like the original trail route from yesteryear. It turned straight uphill and was blocked by some small trees someone had laid across the ground. I could see on my gps that at the top of that hill which was a short 10 minute hike it benched out nice a flat. So up I went eager to explore and hunt the area where I had a hunch Mr Nosethumber might have holed up in the timber. I never did get a chance to explore much. As soon as I topped the uphill part and looked up there he was! Usually this is the end of the story as the bull turns and vanishes in a flash but holy smokes!!! He was standing there quartering toward me but his entire head was behind a fat tree. I could see his rack sticking out both sides of the tree and his entire body AT 35 YARDS!!! A great opportunity with a bow and a slam dunk with a .300 Remington Ultra Mag right? Wrong. :?

I pulled the gun up and he never moved. I put the crosshairs right where they needed to be. I’ve killed a few so I’m pretty calm. By now the safety had been off for the entire time so I’m thinking dead bull fo sho! I could already see his picture in the Wapiti Talk Meat Pole thread. I squeezed the trigger and heard a click that I can still hear to this day. My first thought was omg you rookie idiot you forgot to chamber a round after you pulled the gun out of the scabbard. So I slid the bolt back and MUCH to my surprise a live round flopped out the side and onto the ground. Holy crap I just had two firsts at the same time.... a bull at bow range in gun season... and a misfire. With factory ammo! By now he is walking to my right. Not fast but it’s pretty thick. He knows something isn’t right so he is about to shift gear when I ventilated.... the tree right next to him. Lord Jesus just take me now! This is it Elizabeth the big one! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I trailed that bull but he was out of there. So instead of going slow I hurried to the lip of the next drop off. I was looking down when I noticed the bright yellow aspens at eye level on the other side. I flipped up the binos and there standing right next to them where I had sat for three days was a familiar sight. A 6 point bull thumbing his nose at me. I never knew bulls had thumbs but this one sure did. I went back over there a couple other evenings but never saw him again. I was sure I knew enough to get back on him the following year.... which was this year. But as luck would have it..... his dang luck..... I was one of only 26 people who didn’t draw a license in the special drawing with the points I had. This truly is the big one Elizabeth!

I have a guaranteed bull tag the next two years and next year I’m hitting it for two weeks. So stay tuned if you would like to see pictures of a bull with thumbs who ran out of luck! :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lsb » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 10]

This year we went out for an evening hunt. Fog snow and wind, pretty miserable. We topped a ridge and spotted a bull 500 yards or so out. We get in some cover put the wife out front 20 yards and I went to cow calling. Kind of a lost cow hot cow combo. He wouldn't even look, so I called louder. Heard a bugle from the fog, here comes a dandy out of the fog on a trot. He'd stop and bugle, I'd cow call and he'd keep coming. Brought him to 20 yards of her, he saw her draw and spooked. I called him back, she physically couldn't get drawn. He left, I called him back. Broadside at 35 yards, she has him lined up and her release fails, won't turn loose. She goes to let down and it goes off, put it in the dirt. He wouldn't come back after that.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer wrote:Ok a bull who has his eyes rolled back in his head oblivious to everything around him and is missed at under 10 yards is pretty luck. But this story is about the luckiest freakin bull on earth.

One crisp opening day of Wyoming’s rifle season found me sitting at a favorite locating spot we call the Glassing Tree. I saw some elk and a small bull in the morning then close to last light I spotted a nice 6 point bull on the far ridge. As always I looked over the trees and rocks over there so that I’d be able to pinpoint the spot he was in once I got over there. The next morning I got my hind quarters up early, saddled up and made the long treck to his area. I’m sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that he never showed up. The next day I went the opposite direction and up high to my upper honey hole. Up there I passed on a 4 point bull at 75 yards and at the very end of the day I made my way back to the lip of the ridge so I could get a peek way over to where I had seen that bull. There he was by the same bright yellow patch of aspens thumbing his nose at me. This at least told me he felt safe there in spite of the fact that there is moderate pressure down where he was. By now my one partner had a nice 6 point bull hanging in camp and my other partner had missed a decent bull. So the next morning I went low again and my plan went exactly as expected. He never showed. Don’t you love it when a plan comes together? :roll:

I camped out at that spot for 2 days and never saw him again. I took a look back in the direction he had come from and saw nothing but moose. So I figured I’d come from over by the Glassing Tree, ride my horse down the trail that follows the creek down the gut and hike out the bench that was at the same elevation I’d seen him. It isn’t often I am hunting a specific bull but the nose thumbing thing had me a wee bit peeved. :evil:

Mind you I had never been down that trail so I just blindly rode down there until I got the feeling I was in the zone and tied off my two horses. Then I hiked about 3 minutes further downhill before I saw a single super fresh pile of elkduds right next to the small creek. Hmm. Immediately after crossing the creek I came upon what looked like the original trail route from yesteryear. It turned straight uphill and was blocked by some small trees someone had laid across the ground. I could see on my gps that at the top of that hill which was a short 10 minute hike it benched out nice a flat. So up I went eager to explore and hunt the area where I had a hunch Mr Nosethumber might have holed up in the timber. I never did get a chance to explore much. As soon as I topped the uphill part and looked up there he was! Usually this is the end of the story as the bull turns and vanishes in a flash but holy smokes!!! He was standing there quartering toward me but his entire head was behind a fat tree. I could see his rack sticking out both sides of the tree and his entire body AT 35 YARDS!!! A great opportunity with a bow and a slam dunk with a .300 Remington Ultra Mag right? Wrong. :?

I pulled the gun up and he never moved. I put the crosshairs right where they needed to be. I’ve killed a few so I’m pretty calm. By now the safety had been off for the entire time so I’m thinking dead bull fo sho! I could already see his picture in the Wapiti Talk Meat Pole thread. I squeezed the trigger and heard a click that I can still hear to this day. My first thought was omg you rookie idiot you forgot to chamber a round after you pulled the gun out of the scabbard. So I slid the bolt back and MUCH to my surprise a live round flopped out the side and onto the ground. Holy crap I just had two firsts at the same time.... a bull at bow range in gun season... and a misfire. With factory ammo! By now he is walking to my right. Not fast but it’s pretty thick. He knows something isn’t right so he is about to shift gear when I ventilated.... the tree right next to him. Lord Jesus just take me now! This is it Elizabeth the big one! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I trailed that bull but he was out of there. So instead of going slow I hurried to the lip of the next drop off. I was looking down when I noticed the bright yellow aspens at eye level on the other side. I flipped up the binos and there standing right next to them where I had sat for three days was a familiar sight. A 6 point bull thumbing his nose at me. I never knew bulls had thumbs but this one sure did. I went back over there a couple other evenings but never saw him again. I was sure I knew enough to get back on him the following year.... which was this year. But as luck would have it..... his dang luck..... I was one of only 26 people who didn’t draw a license in the special drawing with the points I had. This truly is the big one Elizabeth!

I have a guaranteed bull tag the next two years and next year I’m hitting it for two weeks. So stay tuned if you would like to see pictures of a bull with thumbs who ran out of luck! :D

Instant classic 8-). Mr. Nosethumber.... :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Great story I.S. I think some of the best stories are to be continued. Good luck next year. That bull deserves a bullet.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 10 31, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I had decided to hunt late rifle using my recurve. (I know, I know). Late rifle is a freezer tag for me and why I needed to make it harder than necessary is anyones guess. I prefer hunting a low area that borders a large swamp holding a series of sloughs and beaver ponds. The wind down there can be a faint hearted maiden, but every dance has its reasons no matter who the partner is. The elk felt safe down there and that was good enough for me. There was 6 of fresh snow and a breeze coming over my left shoulder and across my cheek. First light was the way it always is for a hunter, full of promise, full of hope. I crossed a series of short hogbacks and was looking up and across a broad bench when 4 cow elk appeared. Single file, mom daughter mom daughter. They were relaxed. The wind was still coming over my shoulder and recurve distance would put them on the edge of my scent stream. They walked behind a stand of bushes, I drew my bow fingers already cold 3/4 draw. I held and held and held some more but they never appeared on the other side of those bushes. The tracks in the snow told the story- the lead cow hit my scent stream while behind those bushes. She stopped, took a half step my direction to confirm, then made a perfect right angle away from me. Covered by the bushes, I never saw any of this. I could/would have made a rifle shot before they hit the bushes. Lucky elk. I was stubborn, hunting in the cold and snow with a recurve. Not making that mistake again. I never saw another elk that season.
Jhg

Postby jonbmx3 » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Jhg wrote:I had decided to hunt late rifle using my recurve. (I know, I know). Late rifle is a freezer tag for me and why I needed to make it harder than necessary is anyone's guess. I prefer hunting a low area that borders a large swamp holding a series of sloughs and beaver ponds. The wind down there can be a faint-hearted maiden, but every dance has its reasons no matter who the partner is. The elk felt safe down there and that was good enough for me. There was 6 of fresh snow and a breeze coming over my left shoulder and across my cheek. First light was the way it always is for a hunter, full of promise, full of hope. I crossed a series of short hogbacks and was looking up and across a broad bench when 4 cow elk appeared. Single file, mom daughter mom daughter. They were relaxed. The wind was still coming over my shoulder and recurve distance would put them on the edge of my scent stream. They walked behind a stand of bushes, I drew my bow fingers already cold 3/4 draw. I held and held and held some more but they never appeared on the other side of those bushes. The tracks in the snow told the story- the lead cow hit my scent stream while behind those bushes. She stopped, took a half step my direction to confirm, then made a perfect right angle away from me. Covered by the bushes, I never saw any of this. I could/would have made a rifle shot before they hit the bushes. Lucky elk. I was stubborn, hunting in the cold and snow with a recurve. Not making that mistake again. I never saw another elk that season.

This is a great story. Seems like the lead cow isn't the only one that got lucky in that group. And agree with Swede, that bull will earn one someday.
jonbmx3