Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best and Worst on the Forum

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best and Worst on the Forum

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Please be honest. What do you consider the best things about WapitiTalk, and the worst. What would you like to see more and less of?

I think we have a number of good and knowledgeable hunters posting here. There are a lot of very successful hunters with many years of experience. They can speak and share their ideas and experiences, and not put down others because they do not see all the same things. We have differences of style, and personalities. I think that builds a strong foundation. "Me too" may have its place, but it is not helpful when everyone seems to be reading off the same script, and you know it does not match your situation.
I think we need more people to engage in many conversations, and some of the forums are hardly getting any use. I champion the tree stand forum and see some new threads getting no response. It makes me wonder if lurkers are following, or no one. I see some tallied views, but still wonder what the thread meant to them.

The person(s) that says "more prizes" gets to sponsor a contest. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Best and Worst on the Forum

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Best and the worse are the same thing. I can mostly keep up with current threads and posts,..
I wish more hunters would share their hunt stories and experiences.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 18, 2018 •  [Post 3]

IMO, It's just that time of year. Everyone is out hunting or enjoying the last days of fall before winter starts.
I just don't think there is as many people on this site as there once was. Just look at the meet pole is there a dozen pictures of elk. The 1st year I was on it was close to a 100 elk. Yes the season is not done yet and I have failed to post my picture of the 1st elk I shot with bow. But I dont have the time right now to sit down and figure out how to get the picture off my phone to the computer to try to resize. I have done it the past but it took me a hour.
I have recently joined another forum but just dont like it as much people are way way way more negative. But the classified are awesome.
Sorry I dont have a lot to offer because I consider myself a 6 year archery rookie. And well visit this site every days, because information can only help.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Jhg » 10 18, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I'd like to se more elk encounters shared no matter the outcome. I get tidbits to add to my own experience base from them. I like seeing the hunters talk about prep work they do training wise. Disappointing encounters are also appreciated. We have all been there.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Jhg wrote:Disappointing encounters are also appreciated. We have all been there.

Jhg: I don't know how far it will go, but I will start a thread on that today. When it comes to elk hunting mistake, I could have my own forum here just for those. It would be like the flip side to Elknut's Tips and Clips. :lol:
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 6]

This site is great.You want to experience bad, go over to 24 hourcampfire.com
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 7]

The desire of RJ and the mods is that this place be a fun and informative experience for anyone that wants to hunt. The emphasis is on elk, like too many other forums. Experienced hunters like Saddlesore are greatly appreciated. In a sense your pictures of a dead bull confirm what you say about elk hunting. You and other successful hunters are passing on a heritage as well as solid information. I believe that is more valuable than any single book on the subject. No single book or other source gives the full picture.
Together we can give a much broader perspective.
I will debate with Saddlesore to broaden the picture. Elknut said I was full of bologna on some post. My being full of bologna was not about my elk hunting, but still we can put together a broad mosaic of what is elk hunting, by showing different ways to hunt. Saddlesore got his bull with a rifle with no calling. I rarely call, but Elknut lives to call. I like this site as we can agree on different points or disagree and still be civil. Actually I got a good laugh out of being told I was full of bologna. I knew I had hit a nerve. :D
The reason I brought up this thread and wrote to RJ, was that I have invited some people to join with us in our discussion and they think it is a waste of time. Another person said forums are too argumentative and lack substance. I don't think that is true here, but if we can do more within reason to better meet the wants of the people here, maybe we will attract even more hunters to join in the conversations.
Swede

Postby ishy » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Here-no judgement, all about helping each other. Feels more like the guys I hunt with.
Other forums-lots of judgement.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I was told recently that hunting forums have very little useful information and the members are either bragging or arguing. I don't find that to be a problem here, but really wanted to know what people think. Is there something we could do to make it better.
I don't have a problem with "bragging" within reason. I enjoy sharing in your success when it happens, and can empathize with you when you get skunked. I draw the line on bragging if it is used as a put down to others, or one lucky moment in life makes a person an expert in their own eyes. We do need experts too, but most truly experienced people don't need to brag excessively. Their accomplishments will speak for themselves.
If the arguing is demonstrating differing experiences, what is the problem. I believe our members and lurkers too should know hunting is not just a cookie cutter experience and one way is not always best. If you hang our here, you will add a lot of good tools to your hunting chest.
What can an older hunter learn here? Well I have started using the gutless method of butchering. Sure I got all of my elk out before, but I think I am going to go gutless all of the time now. I was a hard sell on that, but I not only have been convinced it is better that quartering most of the time, but I have convinces two other guys this year that it is the way to go.
I still am not comfortable with calling from my stand 90% of the time. It works, but not the way I would like it to. Is there something there I am missing. Maybe someone will convince me that have the magic bullet trick to make it more effective for my situation. To be sure I am still learning as I go, and WapitiTalk is a big part of that.
Swede

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 26, 2018 •  [Post 10]

ishy wrote:Here-no judgement, all about helping each other. Feels more like the guys I hunt with.

Couldn’t agree more! Tried and true elk hunting information. Just the guys sharing stories and information. Thanks for letting me come along for the ride.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lsb » 10 28, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Elkhntr08 wrote:
ishy wrote:Here-no judgement, all about helping each other. Feels more like the guys I hunt with.

Couldn’t agree more! Tried and true elk hunting information. Just the guys sharing stories and information. Thanks for letting me come along for the ride.

Agree 100% another forum I was on was nothing but braggers putting each other down. I swear guys on there would call you an idiot for saying the sun sets in the west.
Lsb

Postby Tigger » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I spend most of my time here but touch base on a couple more. There is 1 other site that is run well and provides a lot of info IMO, but most of the time I wonder why I bother going to those other sites.

I really want to see more posts, especially by the lurkers. It is amazing how even a very experienced hunter can pick up a little tip or trick from a newbie. I really like stories of elk encounters (like previously mentioned). Pictures of smashed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are always entertaining as well! The scenarios that RJ posts are fun. It is neat to see how different people would approach the same situation. Rarely is there only 1 right answer....or there may be no right answers!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Lsb wrote:I swear guys on there would call you an idiot for saying the sun sets in the west.

What an idiot. Don't you know the sun does not set? The earth rotates and it just appears the sun goes down. :lol:
Swede

Postby Lsb » 10 29, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:
Lsb wrote:I swear guys on there would call you an idiot for saying the sun sets in the west.

What an idiot. Don't you know the sun does not set? The earth rotates and it just appears the sun goes down. :lol:

Nope, the earth is flat :o
Lsb