Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gotta vent

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gotta vent

Postby Lefty » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

In the past I’ve tried to hunt away from others.
Including where I place my trail cams
One new location I set trail cams on was in 1.25 miles before season the sd cards were deleted and cameras shut off or ad cards popped out
I removed those cameras and placed one in deep and down some in elevation yesterday I found it with a blank sad card and battery popped out

For the past 2 years at my bear bait a group has always deleted my sd card and left it out
In June it appeared as if they killed the two bears on the bait from my stand, legal but notAnother hunter ran into a hounds man who ran and killed the bear and bragged about killing the bear with in sight of the baitit the trail cam pic were deleted again
Last week in the 16 inches of snow my trail cam was goneBut I suspected a bear and planned to look this’s week after some snow melted
Well a single set of tracks someone brought it back the old files all deleted with the sad card out

It’s one thing to delete pics of some who gets a pic taken but viewing and deleting everything is frustrating

Oh well I’m going up to look for fresh track bear and elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Gotta vent

Postby Treestandgoatman » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Have you tried placing your cameras up high? I bring in climbing steps which put them up about 10' -14'. Out of reach for bears, and most people won't see them, or be able to get to them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Treestandgoatman

Postby lamrith » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If you have the ability and this is happening in same area, maybe set a cam way up high overlooking the primary cam. worst case you get who is doing it on cam..?
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I HATE thieves, really brings out the worst in me. I've had something like this happen only once (Lamrith will remember) and it was in Idaho also. We'd set up a good handful of trail cams in AUG? and upon returning in SEP for the hunt, somebody had taken the cards out of two of our cameras. Both were at the same location (one was set to VID and the other to PICS). May a swarm of locusts and bald faced hornets infest their damn boxers :x
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jhg » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I always wonder how they rationalize their behavior. I am sure of one thing- they had/have lousy roll models or none at all.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Taking your pictures and even the SD card is probably not considered theft by some people. But it is. There is a lot of hard work and expense that goes into getting the pictures.
I have found cameras at water holes where I had a stand. I thought it was not respecting my stand to put up a camera there. I guess it goes both ways.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jesse208 » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I have been caught on camera before, and didn’t even cross my mind to delete my own pictures or any for that matter. If I am just as legal to be there, why does it matter? I would almost rather be caught on camera because that may keep some from hunting that area if they think a lot of people are in there. All the people messing with cameras nowadays (our bear bait cameras get messed with a lot) it makes me worry about leaving any gear in the truck. Now it’s either with me or it’s at the house, no more back up gear sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jesse208

Postby Swede » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Do you guys have trail cams that allow you to delete individual pictures in the field? None of mine do. I could steal your SD card if your trail cam is not locked. Most people lock their camera where I hunt. The only way I could delete my picture from you trail camera would be to have my camera with me. Sometimes I do, but it would be a pain to spend time messing with someone's property and resetting it after monkeying with it. I am not all that tech savvy, so taking your SD card and viewing it somewhere would be the only option to just leaving things alone. As Jesse wrote, I have no problem being photographed walking past your camera. I might feel different if I looked around while pooping, and saw I was on camera. :oops:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 20, 2018 •  [Post 9]

If I get caught on someone’s camera I smile and wave
One year some guys placed bat and cameras where we had had bait for three years
My daughter danced in front of the camera kind of funny but really lame they placed a bait location we had used

I guess they took the camera to delete the evidence
Another archer told me the hounds man finds baits runs his dogs off of them and always deleyetes pics

I had an 8 foot ladder at that location years ago for that exact reason

We had a fish and game guy that was sector put his hat over the cameras
Which is fine but I suggested one pic of his fish and game badge
He seemed a bit set back on the idea

I had four bear go to that location two I had fed for years and 3 were killed within 50 yards of the bait the other archer sad the hound guy killed the bear at the bait

I pulled everything fresh mvthat location just frustrating
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 10]

The camera came back, the Sd card was one from August so I got those pictures back,.. :? :? . at least they brought it back. I wasnt even going to check the bait location but saw ATV going up the trail.
Lefty