Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Giving Thanks

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Giving Thanks

Postby Old school » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Taking some time today to reflect on just how good I have it. I was born in a nation where I have the opportunity to go hunt some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere - elk in the mountains...doesn't get much better than that.

So much to be thankful for all year long, not just this week. First of all, Christ paid my sin debt in full and I've personally accepted Him as my Savior. I also get to live in America. I've been blessed with a wonderful family. I've got a tremendous church family that loves The Lord and loves each other. Lastly, I'm able to take almost yearly trips out west with my boys to hunt elk. God's been real, real good to me!

Psalm 68:19 "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah"

--Mitch
Old school

Re: Giving Thanks

Postby saddlesore » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Amen Mitch.
I sat on a mountain top this past season at 11,000 feet ,75 years old, hunting solo with a big bull down.Couldn't get much better than that. Earlier in the year, it had really gone down hill. Death in family, health issues and a lot of stress.

Sometimes you ask the Lord for something and many do not realize the answer is no.They say, He never gives you something you can't handle , but He sure tested me this past year. Lot to be thank full for. A few things,not so much
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I too am thankful for all of our Lord's blessings. But, I have to remind myself sometimes "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Rom. 8:28
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby southernelk » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Good thread Mitch. Amen to that. We should give thanks every day of the year for everything the Lord has provided. I try to spend time doing that each day but we often get caught up in our lives and forget. We all have so much to be thankful for. Including elk hunting!!
southernelk

Postby Lefty » 11 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

A good start!

so many have no idea how good we do have it, no matter our other trials.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 22, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Right on Mitch. I know we will never meet except for right here on the computer. But one day we will be together. May the good Lord bless and keep you and yours on this day of Thanksgiving. Numbers 6:24
>>>---WW---->

Postby Elkduds » 11 22, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Gratitude becomes grace, w practice. I strive for gratitude every day, am getting better w practice. Happy Thanksgiving to all on WT. Join me in enjoying leftover gratitude after the holiday.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby six » 11 24, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Amen
Elk are where you find em...
six

Last Name: Cool

Postby Lsb » 11 24, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I might complain but I got no reason to. I'm very blessed.
Lsb

Postby stringunner » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Reflecting on Luke 9 when I think of how thankful I am for what really matters, life found only in Christ. Luke 9 says to pick up my cross and follow daily, the man who loses his life will save it and the man who tries to save his life will lose it. It’s one thing to be thankful for life, its another to live life picking up our cross (essentially laying down our lives daily for Him and others) and living in that thankfulness. For those following the way, may we endeavor to follow in such a way that our thankfulness is lived out and actualized in relation to Luke 9.
stringunner

Postby Old school » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 11]

No doubt about that Stringunner - I'm preaching through the Sermon on the Mount on Sunday nights and preached that principle last Sunday night. Much of so called Christianity today has it backwards - God is like a vending machine and He exists for us and what we want. Reality and truth is this - we exist for Him and His good pleasure and to bring Him glory.

Real easy for us to make ourselves the center of our life rather than making Him the center. He is a good God regardless of my circumstances, but, just as the leper returned to give Him thanks for what He had done for him, we ought to do likewise. He's been real good to me!

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Old school wrote:God is like a vending machine and He exists for us and what we want.

Good analogy. I had never thought of it in that way. "Lord: This is Jimmy. Let me tell you what to gimme." Folks look over the vending machine, and find out that God is like a father. They scoff and walk on, never realizing even the air they breathe belongs to Him.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I agree Mitch, many approach Christ today as a genie in a bottle. Want to live with one foot in eternity and one foot in the world. When I read the red letters through the gospels, it seems the way is much narrower than what we see lived out in most cases. I’m preaching through the book of Acts on sundays and our body is grappling with how different the lives of those in the early church looked in comparison to our western church of comfort and vending machines. Thus my previous post about Luke 9, what does Luke 9 look like lived out.

Like you say Swede- thankful today as well for the common grace of air in our lungs.

Good things to wrestle through.
stringunner

Postby Tigger » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Give me your thoughts on this scenario. A good friend of mine went on a hunting trip with some guys I barely know. The other guys like to wear their religion on their sleeves if you know what I mean. The first thing that happens is they see some birds behind a no hunting sign right by the owners house. The other guys get out and shoot the birds and proceed to even hunt some of the area!! Then, the next day, they have a great bird hunt where they limit out by noon and my buddy has to leave early. One of the other guys says, "we have nothing to do the rest of the day, lets go shoot another limit". My buddy didn't partake in either illegal activity. He then discussed with me and he had a hard time separating their Christianity from their illegal activities. It really bothered him how "religious" these guys were yet had no regard for game laws. We had a pretty interesting conversation. I see the other guys at church every week and part of me wants to get up and point to them while yelling "POACHERS!!!".
Tigger

Postby Old school » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Tigger - that very scenario reminds me of this saying "What you are doing is speaking so loudly that I cannot hear what you are saying." Hard to be a testimony or witness for Christ when your actions are contrary to what the Bible teaches. I couldn't tell you the reasons why some behave the way that they do, too many variables involved.

Matt. 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Tigger, You sure know how to open a can of worms. It comes under the heading of "Hypocrisy".

Some so called Christians are so un-Christ like that I feel like telling them "please don't tell anyone you are a Christian or you go to this church". We are all sinners. When I get to heaven I believe I will be the wonderful person you wished I was down here. You may have to wait awhile.
BTW: How many pastors do you know that drive like the devil is chasing them?
Swede

Postby Elkduds » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Many use religion for external reasons: social affiliation, dating, business connections, to impress their family. I see these as the loudest trumpeters, shouting to impress their peers. Meanwhile, others are quiet in voice, loud in example and actions regarding their faith. I agree w Old School: Consider people's words. Believe their actions.

Except on the internet ;) .
Elkduds

Last Name: Scott

Postby Lsb » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 18]

My father in law is that way. He had a heart attack this summer. Nurse would come in he'd tell her about God. Next time she came in he'd hit on her in front of my mother in law. He'll tell you how good a Christian he is and cuss out his wife in the same breath. Drives me nuts, I'm far from perfect but man he's a hypocrite.
Lsb

Postby Tigger » 11 27, 2018 •  [Post 19]

It drives me nuts too. But as stated, we are all sinners. The hypocrisy drives me nuts. It makes me look at them way different (again, I barely know them but see them at church). Then I think to myself, I shouldn't be judging others. then I think back to what they did and it ticks me off. Then the circle keeps spinning just like that little thing on your phone when it is searching for reception!

One good thing came of this. My buddy complimented me on always being the one to know all the laws and said he could really appreciate that after this experience.
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 11 28, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Elkduds wrote:Many use religion for external reasons: social affiliation, dating, business connections, to impress their family. I see these as the loudest trumpeters, shouting to impress their peers. Meanwhile, others are quiet in voice, loud in example and actions regarding their faith. I agree w Old School: Consider people's words. Believe their actions.

Except on the internet ;) .

Well said
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 11 28, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Here is something else to consider: The wages of sin is death. Spiritual death and separation from a holy God for eternity. Jesus did not allow Himself to be beaten beyond recognition, spat upon, mocked and crucified for my sake, because I am such a wonderful and sinless person. The punishment Jesus received had to match the crime. My sin! He came to pay my penalty for sin. I am a sinner by nature and by deed.
It is because I have come to the point of realization of the grievousness of my sin, and that Jesus had provided the one way back into an acceptable relation with a holy God, that I have received Him as my Lord. It is all based on the finished work of Christ Jesus that I am no longer under condemnation. Make out of it what you will, but my sins are paid for in full. Are yours?
The apostle Paul said he was the chief of sinners, and he said that the things he should do he did not do, and vice versa. Well Swede would not be worthy to carry Paul's lunch for him.
Never look to me as the shining example of what a Christian should be, but remember someday I will be all of that in the presence of my Savior.
Giving Thanks Again to Him. :D
Swede

Postby Lsb » 11 28, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Swede wrote:Here is something else to consider: The wages of sin is death. Spiritual death and separation from a holy God for eternity. Jesus did not allow Himself to be beaten beyond recognition, spat upon, mocked and crucified for my sake, because I am such a wonderful and sinless person. The punishment Jesus received had to match the crime. My sin! He came to pay my penalty for sin. I am a sinner by nature and by deed.
It is because I have come to the point of realization of the grievousness of my sin, and that Jesus had provided the one way back into an acceptable relation with a holy God, that I have received Him as my Lord. It is all based on the finished work of Christ Jesus that I am no longer under condemnation. Make out of it what you will, but my sins are paid for in full. Are yours?
The apostle Paul said he was the chief of sinners, and he said that the things he should do he did not do, and vice versa. Well Swede would not be worthy to carry Paul's lunch for him.
Never look to me as the shining example of what a Christian should be, but remember someday I will be all of that in the presence of my Savior.
Giving Thanks Again to Him. :D

Well said sir. See you there
Lsb