Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Now what

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Now what

Postby Lefty » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Most elk hunts are over. Just a few depredation and late hunts.

I have a deer archery tag but looks like I’m eating that tag too.
However while out and about today a lot of geese have moved into the region.

Tomorrow I’m banking on a few geese straying onto a field where I’ll be.
I’ve been thinking of maybe a cast and blast well fishing through the ice with decoys along the open water

Instead of holing up for the winter what’s after elk hunts
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Now what

Postby Lsb » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

When season is over for me it's back to remodeling the house. I've got to finish the new laundry room, by finish I mean start. Then move on to the bathroom.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Right now I am focusing on Christmas and dreaming of a August/September elk hunt. I am working on developing a study in Exodus and planning a Christmas message for the family.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Newt » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I drew a late season muzzle loader tag for Iowa. I will be up there hunting the day after Christmas. I am super excited.
Newt

Postby scubohuntr » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tie some flies. Load some ammo. Try to find some perch or Kokanees through the ice. Try to sell my Palma rifle.
scubohuntr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Planning next year's adventures (scouts/hunts)! Working with old Gus the yellow dog to get him trained up on shed hunting; he's doing pretty well and hopefully, will be biting some dropped antlers in a few months. GET THE BONES GUS! :D Getting to know the new smokepole (first one I've owned); getting the projectiles, powder, cleaning gear, etc., ordered up pretty soon so I can get to the range on post and try her out. Will probably get the new ML worked into my elk hunting plans next year. Maybe archery elk Idaho, smokepole elk in WA, and not sure on how I'm gonna hunt WA deer yet? Gonna dust off the Darton and start shooting again soon (I did not hunt anything with my bow this year...... weird). And, catch up on some house/property chores. Oh, and continue my reading/study/research and winter/spring scouting on those reclusive WA blacktail. As always, spend time on our humble hunting forum talking elk, and other hunting and outdoor activities, with you cats ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Old school » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Getting things in order to build a small house on some property my wife and I just bought. Hopefully we're able to break ground in mid March and I'll be completed by August...just in time for elk season :-)

Got to stay under budget so I can afford to head out west for a couple of weeks in September.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Lefty » 12 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Old school wrote:Getting things in order to build a small house on some property my wife and I just bought. Hopefully we're able to break ground in mid March and I'll be completed by August...just in time for elk season :-)Got to stay under budget so I can afford to head out west for a couple of weeks in September.--Mitch

Im jealous
Im hoping to do the same. We really need to down size. I see absolutely no reason for two people to live in a bigger house.

The best way to stay under budget is to not let your wife chose the kitchen :lol: My overall advise would be. Build the shop/garage first so you have a good place to store items while you build,,,,,,,,,, and to mke sure the budget doesnt take from the shop :o
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H