Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Starting over

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Starting over

Postby scubohuntr » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Okay, here's a theoretical situation I thought of a while back. It doesn't represent any actual circumstance I know of, I just thought it would be interesting to see what people's thoughts are on it. It might be illuminating for new hunters.

In this scenario, you have lost all your elk hunting gear, due to a fire, messy divorce, or very thorough burglar. You have managed to scrape together the bare essentials- a beat-up 4X4, an old Savage 110 in .308 (or a thirty-year-old PSE compound bow), thrift store Tasco binoculars, an Army surplus packframe, and a second-hand gutting knife. Oh, and your usual hunting area has been bought up by the Wilks brothers and posted, so you will need to start in an entirely new area (just so you're not coming up with a location-specific solution).

You can manage to save up enough cash to buy one item before next season (I know, you can buy a lot of gadgets for the price of a new rifle or spotting scope, but work with me here). You still have all your knowledge and experience, but you'll need to apply it to an entirely new area. What is it going to be? You have the things you absolutely NEED, but none of them are high-end. Do you upgrade the basics, or start filling out the semi-basics? And how about next year?
scubohuntr

Re: Starting over

Postby Swede » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I did not have any of the disasters you mentioned, but I started off with a iron sighted rifle and a Ford coupe with highway tires for transportation. I added a little here and there. I am not sure what you mean by having everything I absolutely need. I am going to assume that is clothing, pots, pans and dining stuff. If I was going to camp out, I would start with a tent assuming I have enough blankets to keep warm. A propane stove would sure be handy too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 3]

This was just meant as a thought experiment. We've all accumulated our stuff a little here, a little there, until we have the gear load we have today, and generally don't give it much thought. It's easy to say, "Yeah, I'd just go out and replace everything I have now", but that's kind of a cop-out, hence the one item limit. I was just kind of curious what people would consider the most important to replace, provided you had only the bare minimum of gear and could only afford to add one item to it before next season. This is only "hunting" stuff- assume if you are a backpacker in the offseason, you still have your backpacking gear, but nothing you use only for elk hunting. There are no right or wrong answers; I really don't know what I would choose myself. Probably optics this year and rifle next year.
scubohuntr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Hmmm, tough one. Since that old .308 will work, that old bow will work (get it re-strung tho), that old knife will work, those binos will work for closer quarter work (bowhunting thicker terrain), but...... that pack will not! I'm getting a new all-in one pack with a big/fat waste best, that can serve as both a day pack and meat/camp pack in-out unit, and hold a water bladder. Since I'm not a slave to my GPS, I'm not gonna worry about getting one of those this year. Yep, I'm getting an all in one pack (Exo Mountain Gear probably).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I can hunt quite comfortably out of army-navy surplus clothes and boots. Biggest need is either a better pack, or better binoculars. When I upgraded, I chose pack first a couple years ago... So in this case I go with a Kifaru Reckoning again!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Elkduds » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Do I have boots w a year of comfortable service left? If not, I start there. If I do, optics are my 1st investment.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Tigger » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

The one thing I would get? easy, I would get my brother's stuff! Or borrow from a buddy. But that, as you say, is a cop out. since I use my Sitka and my OnX for camping, by your rules I must have had them stashed in my truck when the house burned down (by the way, my house DID burn down in 1991!).

I would upgrade the bow. a 30 year old bow? that is 1988. That is my first thought. But then that pack frame....I am envisioning blisters from that sucker. as long as I have a day pack that is serviceable, I upgrade the bow first, then next year the pack frame. My thinking is, if the bow doesn't do its job, the pack frame isn't needed.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 8]

A new bow set up. A few calls and pants with cargo pockets,.. I would manage without the rest if necessary.
I would hunt near home,.. I could get dropped off,. run an ATv, car, or bicycle if need be. or hunt with my neighbors

Next would be binos then warm clothes, boots pack
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H