Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

"Hey WapitiTalk, answer me this"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

"Hey WapitiTalk, answer me this"

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Let's see how this one rolls. It's along the lines of "Dear Abby", an enduring write in, advice columnist who has been around for many, many years. In fact, Dear Abby was probably around when Swede was with Lewis and Clark, spearheading the westward expansion :D. Well maybe not that long. At any rate, here is a thread to pose a specific question about outdoor (hunting, fishing, shooting, backpacking, etc.). After a question is posed, forum members will chime in with answers, further discussion, etc. The sky's the limit on what you may ask (as long as its pretty much outdoor activity related). If a particular question and follow on discussion get rolling really well, myself or one of the MODs will bust it out into its own thread (in the appropriate sub-forum).

Allrighty, I'll start this train wreck.

Hey WapitiTalk, what is the best way to hunt deer that inhabit extremely thick re-prod areas? I'm talking 10' tall Xmas trees that are un-thinned and touching branches. There are solid trails throughout said area but it's so damn thick you can't hardly even crawl through it. What is the best way to hunt these types of areas if you know they hold big ol' stinky bucks?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: "Hey WapitiTalk, answer me this"

Postby Lsb » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Dear ol stinky buck,
work the edges rattling in late November. In North Idaho anyways, that's how we pulled them out.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

You can use the buddy system. Walk in and stop on the old fire line at the top of the logging unit. Be sure to have some good shooting lanes available in both directions. Stay quiet while you buddy goes to the bottom of the unit. Tell him when he gets into a good position to a good place to stop to sit down and make some noise, but not too loud. He or she can sing if they want. After a few minutes the deer get nervous and slip out of their bed. Usually they go uphill where you are waiting to properly greet them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Dear WapitiTalk (from a 25 year old woman): I am currently living out of a cardboard box and have a trendy shopping cart stocked with things I have found. Soon I will be moving up in the world as I am marrying a well established meth dealer. We want to have a large family reception after the ceremony. His parents are welfare cheats. He has one sister that is a kleptomaniac that spent 5 years in the State pen. Another was sentenced and sent up the river for prostitution. Two brothers are timber thieves. A third brother is an avid hunter. My question is what can I do about this embarrassment of a hunter in the family?
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Dear 25 year old woman ;), I think perhaps you load up your residence in that shopping cart and move out of the Portland city limits, perhaps to a small town west, just off the Columbia River and start over (I know a guy down there who would probably let you park in his yard). Who knows, you may just find that there is a much better quality of dudes to shop for. Good luck :roll:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

From the 25 year old bride to be: Dear WapitiTalk, I think I went past that dude's place on my way down from Tacoma. That was a scary experience. That nut job prides himself in shooting and skinning animals, especially elk. When I return to Nalley Valley, I will stick to Interstate 5.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Just a bit more info from John Prine tribute regarding Dear Abby

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-iba-1&hsimp=yhs-1&hspart=iba&p=John+Prine+Dear+Abby#id=5&vid=0cd83897450bcf659db01bef2f20dbd9&action=view

Ole Stinky bucks,..
Get your cousins from Arkansas to bring up their beagles, run em like rabbits
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Single white male elk hunting junkie. Brown eyes. Gemini. Likes romantic walk in the woods... mostly sidehilling, with a weapon and backpack. Enjoys campfires and sunsets.... next to the meat pole. In search of attractive single white females.... or males I guess... heck anyone who is interested in joining me on these walks and willing to let me strap dead elk to their back. Hit me up. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro