Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunter Extremes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunter Extremes

Postby Swede » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Personalities and values are unique and may run to extremes. We have all kinds in the hunting game. So, which would you rather hunt with: A person that is up at 3:30-4:00 every morning for six days straight and hunts until dark, or one that is out for the fun of being in such a spectacular piece of the world? If there is a happy medium for you where is it?
There are many other extremes we can discuss. What are some that you see?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunter Extremes

Postby Indian Summer » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I don’t care if you hunt until dark. That’s up to you. But I like a partner who gets up on time to be out of camp with me at a time that gets us where we need to be at first light. Yes I can go alone but I just prefer that we help each other be motivated to giddy up in the morning. I’m flexible in that if you want to take a day off that’s fine but I’d still like to see you help me deal with the horses and be on my way. Whatever you do DO NOT think about going home early! Even if we have punched our tags I love my time in the mountains and there’s sooooo much to learn by being there during hunting season. Let’s go find a new spot! After we sleep in of course. ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Pretty much like Joe. I hunt mornings hard. Not so much late afternoons.I'd prefer to get back to camp well before dark and set up for the next day.Using horses or mules takes a little more effort that just getting up in the morning and hiking off.Ditto at night. Getting up at 3:30, sometimes even 2:30 to be at that magic place before first light wears a guy out of they hunt until dark too.
Late afternoons might find me breaking out the dutch over and throwing together a cobbler served with fresh cream, or maybe just a bag of peanuts and sitting around having a beer discussing the day's hunt and tomorrow's
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I'm not sure. Elk season only comes around once a year, so I take it seriously... but not so seriously to take the fun out of it.

I guess that's why I hunt solo mostly, really hard to find the right mixture of effort and personality
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

When I was a youngster I hunted with older guys. As I got older only the younger could keep up with my style of hunting. When younger I hunted hard and serous.
Sort of the way my dad taught me to work. I now enjoy my time in the outdoors,.. Still serous but not the hardcore thing going on. I enjoy the hunt

I guess my extreem has been where I sleep ( not in the elk but near as practicle) No reason to be up hours before first light when elk could be in sight when you get out of bed in the morning.
I no longer drive hours in the morning then hike in hours more. I dont extend my "working" hours getting too and from. Where I hunt now we dont spend much time in the dark anyway. just too many grizzlies. :)

As Ive gotten older and futher out of physical conditioning it is a whole lot easier with 7:30 Am Sunrise and 6:00 PM Sunset, Depending on where I hunt: I may make it back to the truck or camp for a nap(5-15 minutes) or on the sunny side of the mountian. Heck somedays I may take two short naps

As a Kid I was talking with a full time trapper; at that time Minnesota had a 6:00 AM to 6:00 Pm trapping hours. I knew this guy trapped dawn to dusk,... his commment was to the effect" if your not tired at the end of the day (daylight) you werent trapping hard enough. If your worn out at noon your doing something wrong"

I discovered long ago. Starting at 2-3:00,4:00 with only a few hours sleep 7:00 AM shooting I dont function as well at go time.

Wednesday I hunted geese with a 20 something fellow.
Yesterday a guy a year younger than me,...In law enforecment. I expected him to be physically in better shape than me,.. It was a goose hunt and it tore him up. At first I thought he was sick he was unable to make the effort unless we can make the hunt easier that will be out last hunt together this year
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H