Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Care to Join Me?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Care to Join Me?

Postby Indian Summer » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Me and Tom Grates, my partner and winner of last months photo contest just booked a bear hunt. Not just any hunt. A place where guys who have killed big black bears go to kill GIANT ones. Lone Wolf Outfitters in Saskatchewan. In order to get the best hunt date possible, the first week, I pushed the date back to May of 2021. Plenty of time to plan and save money. The hunt is $3500 including all meals, accommodations and tags. If anyone is interested in making it a Wapiti Talk get together let me know. Right now there’s still room in camp. The hunt takes place 10 hours north of Saskatoon. We are driving so if you fly we can pick you up there and split cost of the drive instead of renting a truck. If you have Facebook here’s a link to the guy who books all of there hunts. Tom Sovereign. A great guy.

https://m.facebook.com/sovereignadventures2016/
Attachments
CEC5ED60-E7A0-4E28-8CC4-3D86F2695E13.jpeg
CEC5ED60-E7A0-4E28-8CC4-3D86F2695E13.jpeg (180.24 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
06D3AC1F-3C95-4033-9B26-D3F2BE9897D0.jpeg
06D3AC1F-3C95-4033-9B26-D3F2BE9897D0.jpeg (133.26 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
8F9A80F3-7662-4D6B-8AEE-C91AC4726E2D.jpeg
8F9A80F3-7662-4D6B-8AEE-C91AC4726E2D.jpeg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Care to Join Me?

Postby Swede » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Thanks Joe, but I will pass. I have started to think about buying a bear tag. I saw a lot of the critters last season and could have easily shot a big one. If I buy a tag it is just so I have an extra in my pocket in case I have killed my elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Funny you say that Swede... I’m thinking about taking a bear tag on my elk hunt this coming season. My upper hole is full of huckleberries in the summer and fall and there are several bears that call it home. I see their tracks every day and spot them once in awhile. I wouldn’t shoot one before I killed a bull but after that if I hunted over the carcass for a couple days I think I could get one. Nothing the size of the monsters on this hunt but a decent one. Last year me and Tom saw tracks from a darn big black bear.
Indian Summer

Postby wawhitey » 12 23, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Im guessing thats a bait hunt? Those big boars dont look like the tree climbing type, they look more like the "swat a pack of hounds around like mosquitoes" type of bears.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Yes Whitey baited. They tell me that they are so remote that the bears have no fear of anything including people and they are curious and will climb your tree. I’ve had bears start up my tree. I didn’t like that. :shock:
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Indian Summer wrote:Yes Whitey baited. They tell me that they are so remote that the bears have no fear of anything including people and they are curious and will climb your tree. I’ve had bears start up my tree. I didn’t like that. :shock:

One of my best friends hunts Northern Mn. Certainly not remote.Well not far from the road anyway. But the bears seem to ignore people for the most part. Hes had bears climb his tree,.. one he kicked a number of times in the face before it would leave,..and he got the footage( stupid pun intended)
He hunts a two bear area. Killed a P and Y bear opening day from the stand mentioned above. Two days later from a ground blind. Some fantastic footage. camera facing the bait. He is reading a book,.. bear turns its nose into the blind a few inches from him. Bear walks off to the bait . He watched and filmed for 45 minutes and shot the B and C with a pistol
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 25, 2018 •  [Post 7]

No thanks! I spent the entire month of May on Prince of Whales Alaska with BigDan over on Bowsite once. We baited for 5 days before hunting. Then I got my bear the first day we hunted. The entire trip cost $950 bucks. That included everything. License, food, fuel and everything else. Heck of a deal! :o

Bear hunting over bait is simple. Climb a tree, bear walks by, shoot bear. The only hard part was running the baits every day. And that wasn't all that hard at all. I really don't care to get another one. Besides, they kinda stink.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 30, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Big Dan is a great guy! He and I have spoken many times. He is one of the most accomplished archery elk hunters out there... by far.

Yes there are cheaper black bear hunts. I’ve hunted them twice over bait in New Brunswick for free with a good friend. I passed up probably 50 bears and never shot one. I’m only interested in killing one bear and I won’t shoot until I see the right one. That means over 300 pounds. Hopefully closer to 350 or 400. This is THE hunt for giant bears so my hopes are high I can get the job done. Then I have some serious mule deer points to burn in both Wyoming and Colorado.

My plan is to do some really awesome hunts on the years I can’t draw a Wyoming elk tag. Hunts with high success for big antlers. Alaska caribou and moose are on my list too.
Indian Summer