Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Christmas day hunt or not

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Christmas day hunt or not

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Many years ago a couple of us went coyote hunting on Christmas morning. We went to church the night before and Christmas wasn't till noon at my parents, so why not hunt, right.
We ended up getting a coyote that morning just like many other morning.
When I went to the Christmas party dad ask me what I did this morning and of course I said went hunting yotes and we got one, dad looked at me and said "you shot a coyote on Christmas" he looked a little disappointed.
So my question is, should a person take the day off on Christmas from hunting or hunt away.
I think my answer is take the day off, but I'm sure there are people that hunt as a family tradition. What are your thought?
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: Christmas day hunt or not

Postby Old school » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I'll spend the early morning hours spending time reading my Bible and in prayer. Then I'll spend the rest of it with family. That may involve shooting guns out at the property, an afternoon bow hunt, small game hunting, opening gifts, etc... The older I get the more I enjoy the relationships and memories with family and friends. Spend time with family and remember the reason why we celebrate this day.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby wawhitey » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Im doing the christmas thing at my parents today, tomorrow going hunting cougar. Possibly. After deer season ended I set out some alfalfa piles and cameras around where i was hunting this year, so first thing im going to do is check the cameras on the alfalfa piles, and if those two big boys i was hunting have shed their antlers already, ill spend the day shed hunting. If theyre still packing bone, ill be spending the day predator hunting. Either way, ill be spending my christmas by myself in the mountains with a rifle and a couple calls on me.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lsb » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I'm at the inlaws. And the fil doesn't get moving before 10. I'm going coyote hunting in the morning.
Lsb

Postby jmez » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I always hunted on Christmas before I had kids. I don't see it being different than hunting any other day if you have no other obligations.

The critters don't celebrate Christmas, just another day to them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Lefty » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I might take the dogs for a run early. But once my daughters show up, and granddaughter then the in=laws. We spend the time together. Maybe shoot new guns ;)
My guess Ill take my in-laws out for a ride, . Show them the wild horses, a few fields with about 8000 geese trumpeter swans.
I manage the hunters on the area Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter day Saints welfare farms. Years back a neighbor requested to not have hunts on Christmas, So no Christmas hunting on those fields.
Last year a neighbor kid got a dozen goose decoys,.. Set them out and about noon he shot into a flock.

We dont hunt on Christmas,.. just family time
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Got my new marlin .357 dialed in today. Put a larger lever loop on it, a brass skinner peep sight, sighted it in on the bench, then started ringing an 8" steel target offhand at 50 yards, dropped back to 80 yards and kneeled down with an elbow on my knee and proceeded to ring the crap out of the steel like that. Ill be leaving my scoped .243 at home tomorrow and do some lion calling with the marlin.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 12 26, 2018 •  [Post 8]

took the daughter and one son out pheasant hunting today. My daughter's knee was bothering her so she decided to head back to the truck before we finished and my son went with her. Yep, 100 yards after they left, 2 roosters get up right where they would have been. I got one and since it dropped in the cattails, decided not to shoot at the 2nd one. Better off finding the 1 and not losing them both.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Christmas was spent with family. Christmas was with family and I shared a Bible message based on a part of the Christmas story. We had a mid afternoon feast and spend the remainder of the day stuffed and wondering why we ate so much. No Coyotes were shot around the Swede home this year either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics