Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Outdoor Activities Shenanigans :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Outdoor Activities Shenanigans :)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What shenanigans have you been involved with over the years? I have a bunch to share (including one by the master trickster, Swede) but will share a fishing one that I thought was good.

A loooong time ago in NW Montana, I hit the Kootenai River early one morning. Caught a couple of nice rainbows at the crack of dawn, put em in the cooler, and was getting ready for some Kokanee fishing. Saw a guy I knew pull up and park above me. When he walked down and asked me how I was doing, I showed him the nice "bows" in the cooler. When asked what I used, I picked my pole up out of the rocks and extended the tip for him to see. I had tied on a big fur mouse (bass lure) I had in my tackle box when I saw the guy park and head my way. After a minute of silence on his part, I couldn't take it any more and cracked up laughing :lol:

Please.... share shenanigan you've been involved with over the years in any outdoor setting (fishing, hunting, camping, etc.). This should be interesting.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Outdoor Activities Shenanigans :)

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I had my church pastor in my favorite tree stand. I sneaked in just close enough to see him from behind, through the brush and trees, then I back out. He was waiting patiently and looking around. I started bugling and cow calling like a herd gone crazy then left the area and went to my stand. He had a great story about almost getting elk that evening. I guess I should have told him, but I never did.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 3]

the past two years weve had a coyote think its quite funny to pee all around the goose pit,.If he starts this year Im putting out a steel bracelet for her. I dont find that very funny.
I pull stunts of some sort,.. and most go to the wayside and are forgotten. I like to have fun when I hunt

I live very near a few fields that use to have hundreds of geese killed on each. I could glass guys hunting. Or doing the cold weather dance in there spread. Even guys I dont know.
A single cluck from my call and they scramble for cover. My wife thought it was mean,..

Ive put bands on geese and sent pics to buddies that were band crazy.
Ive put bands on geese that were unreadable
My nephew feed me a raspberry and peanut butter sandwich only the inside was a blood-clot from my elk.

I wrote an article about multiple catches I had made trapping, Two skunk, two possum two coon two muskrat and three muskrat in a single trap
Twenty years after the fact a friend called me an told me he was the one who put the tree muskrats in the trap.

A buddy who had stayed up all night with his girlfriend: he fell asleep while we were duck hunting I set the ducks we already had out in the water and started shooting,.. ,, that began the dont ever fall asleep with us
Just warning everyone,.. dont fall asleep on hunts with me,.. or have an emergency bathroom rush,.. something will happen.

Ive taken shells out of guns on waterfowl hunts
A buddy had gotten a new gun and scope,.. he couldn't be more proud. I caught him asleep on a meadow I was going to watch . Snuck up and was going to take his rifle.As I moved his rife I thought that would be too mean. I placed the rifle back just a few feet away, Once he awoke it was still funny.

Done the milk duds and chocolate raisin thing maybe way too many times
Some guy put a bear bait very near ours,.. My daughter danced in front of their trail cams
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I have hundreds. You know I live in Pa. I have a buddy who always exaggerates the size of deer he sees. Late season we do drives for does. Half the bucks have dropped their antlers by then. I carry my daypack. I put a GIANT mulie shed in it. I told him I saw this big buck and when it ran one of it’s antlers fell off. I had my hands out really wide.... like he always does... saying dude this thing was at least 36 inches wide! :shock: Of course his stories are ALWAYS better and he doubts everyone else so he says well where’s the horn man? I pulled it out of my pack and he was speechless. He never hunted west of Pittsburgh so he never questioned the fact that it wasn’t a whitetail. “Wow man I can’t believe the forked G2 on that thing!” OMG I’m still laughing. I never told him it was a joke! :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

We were north of Missoula. My brother brought a guy from work who had never hunted. Ever. We were on private land with a few old logging roads. I had already killed a bull so I stayed low looking for whitetails and they went high after elk. Mid day I shot a decent 8 point buck. I gutted it and dragged it downhill. I missed the dead end of the little spur road we were parked on and hit it lower. So I left the buck on an outside turn and went back up the hill to enjoy the rest of the day. Just after dark they came off the mountain and my brother says I heard a shot was that you. I said yeah I hit a buck. He ran downhill fast and I couldn’t find him. We walked to the truck loaded up and headed down the road. When we got to the turn you could see the deer’s eyes. I had propped him up a bit. I yelled holy smokes there’s that buck! We got out and the new guy was as excited as could be to see his first dead critter. I rolled the already gutted deer over, pulled the rib cage open and obviously it was completely hollow. I said WOW that .300 Ultra Mag really did some damage I can’t believe he made it this far. Of course my brother looks at me and smiles. But the other dude went ballistic. He fell for it hook line and sinker. Omg... holy crap... that’s unreal.... what kind of gun is that again!!! I kept a straight face the whole time and we loaded the deer into the truck. A minute or two down the road I confessed. He laughed but he kept saying I just can’t believe how calm you are. If I shot that deer I’d be freaking out. He said that like 20 times. It was cool to see a guy so excited about some success that day.
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I don’t even know where to start. So many over the years. Maybe the time we convinced my elk hunting buddy that pine pitch was nature’s gum and it was tasty. He was no rookie so Ben and I had to play it perfect. We were soooo subtle. Our comments were to each other and not him. Turning away from him casually while chewing. Grabbing another chunk as we walked away. Nothing overt. He fell for it and had to ask what we were doing. He soon grabbed a chunk, smelled it and we again gave him no attention. He plopped it in his mouth and started chewing. About 2.6 seconds in to the chewing, he lets out a grunt and a swear word. We absolutely lost it we were laughing so hard. Two hours later he was still grumbling about his sticky teeth. I just chuckled remembering that!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:I don’t even know where to start. So many over the years. Maybe the time we convinced my elk hunting buddy that pine pitch was nature’s gum and it was tasty. He was no rookie so Ben and I had to play it perfect. We were soooo subtle. Our comments were to each other and not him. Turning away from him casually while chewing. Grabbing another chunk as we walked away. Nothing overt. He fell for it and had to ask what we were doing. He soon grabbed a chunk, smelled it and we again gave him no attention. He plopped it in his mouth and started chewing. About 2.6 seconds in to the chewing, he lets out a grunt and a swear word. We absolutely lost it we were laughing so hard. Two hours later he was still grumbling about his sticky teeth. I just chuckled remembering that!

At least you didn’t convince him it was “nature’s toilet paper “ lol :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 30, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Man! Remind me never to hunt with you jokers. Dang, you guys don't joke around.

I remember when I was a kid we lived in Philadelphia for a couple years. Well one of our neighborhood friends came out to visit Montana one summer with us, and we took him prairie dog hunting. The experience of shooting guns alone was enough to make the trip for this kid. But once we were done we convinced him to take a trophy photo, holding a dead one up by the tail for his mom! :lol:

I would never, ever, pick up a prairie dog myself, but the kid didn't know any better. Somewhere in my parents picture stash that photo is still getting laughs!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I.S. reminded me of a stunt I pulled on my cousin years ago. We were walking down an old logging road when he said he need to stop and relieve himself. I started to walk on when he asked if I had any toilet paper. I replied "no". He asked what he could use. Just being a joker I pointed to some nettles and said "try those". I thought he knew better, but he didn't. He complained for years how I had tricked him into wiping with nettles. I am sure it wasn't fun.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Here is one I fell for. There were 4 of us together as we hadn't separated for the day yet. We were hunting in grizzly country and ran into a bear that we couldn't see. It didn't take long to realize there was a cub up in a tree. So probably a black bear. Still, it was only 20 yards away. As we were walking away, my buddy Ben threw a rock up ahead of us. All 3 of us jumped out of our skin! Then another. Then I turned to say something to Ben and caught him about to throw another rock.

And as long as we are on the bear topic, remember the guy who chewed the pine pitch? Well I had an old canister of bear spray that had expired years before. So we thought we would try it just to see how it worked. The first 3 of us did it with no problem. Adam was reluctant to do it but given we had what appeared to be a steady breeze in one direction and that 3 of us did it with no problem, he gave in and grabbed it. Well, you know those fickle mountain winds right? Sure enough, a little bit came back and hit him in the face. There is nothing like a good belly laugh on an elk hunt. Then, 3 hours later another round of belly laughs when he says, "My lips are still numb!!".
Tigger

Postby scubohuntr » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Everyone knows pine pitch is no good as chewing gum until you knead in some wood ashes and just a touch of dung.
scubohuntr

Postby ishy » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 12]

My best was after taking a mountain lion while elk hunting at 20 yards. My brother loves the outdoors, but has lost his desire to hunt so he just tags along for the ride. After being 20 yards from an adult cat and the huge amount of adrenaline that followed I could tell he was pretty delirious as we took a break on our way back to the rig. I could tell I had the perfect window to cause my brother to have heart problems the remainder of his mortal existence. With the big cat draped over a nearby log I grabbed the cat by the back of the neck exposing its teeth and did my best and fastest lunge at my brother with the cats head while letting out my best lion scream I could muster. He will still admit today, "I saw that thing shot, cleaned, and packed for over an hour, but there was a split second that I knew my life was over!" He doesn't come hunting with me nearly as much as he use to.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lsb » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Squatching each other. It started three years ago and hasn't stopped. It all started when my dad and two brothers met me and 2 of my buddies from Idaho for an elk hunt south of New Medows. We were heading back to camp after dark in Jack's pickup. My brother crawled out of the rear door window on the driver's side while Jack was talking non-stop. He managed to get on the roof and then reach through Jack's window, front passenger, grab him by the arm and made the best Sasquatch yell I've ever heard. I think Jack really did pee a little in the seat. After that Squatching became almost expected. And it's getting pretty tough to squatch anyone, but when you do it's a good one.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 14]

ishy wrote:,,,,,, ",,,,, there was a split second that I knew my life was over!"
He doesn't come hunting with me nearly as much as he use to.

:lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 15]

My brother use to out shoot me on pheasants, so I took the 1st two rows of his ammo in the box and took the shot out. Fixed that for the day.

Had a young fellow that was not pulling his weight in camp.I took a road flare and stuck a 12" long piece of cannon fuse in it. I lit it and threw it in the tent telling him it had 10second fuse on it. That fixed that problem

We had some younger cowboys help us pack a troop of boy scouts into a wilderness area.One fellow was pretty mouthy, but afraid of the dark.We tied a 40 ft lash cinch on to the bottom of his sleeping a bag and ran it out under the tent wall.About midnight, we tied it loosely to one of the horses and gave it a slap.Lot of screaming and yelling, but we didn't know he slept with a big knife. It was a little western for awhile.He went home the next AM and we were short a pack horse then.
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Some real dandies here :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lsb » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 17]

My brother in law and I were out varmint calling in Texas years ago. We set up, at night, a lion started squaling at us. It circled us for us for 15 minutes or so squaling the whole time. Never came out of the brush to let us see it. Finally it left squaling up the hill. After it was gone the brother in-law had to pee but was scared to get out of the bed of the truck. I told him go ahead I'll hold the light, after some convincing he did. I waited until he was going good then cut the light and yelled oh $&!? Here it comes!!! He peed all over himself and the side of the truck trying to get back in.
Lsb