Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Real Friends

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Real Friends

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Years ago I hunted deer and elk with a guy, for a couple of seasons, that hated for anyone else to get game. He would say something that was obviously intended to let you know what you shot wasn't all that good. It was too skinny, small or the antlers were not right.
Have you ever hunted with someone like that?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Real Friends

Postby Lsb » 01 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

My father in-law. He got all butt hurt this year because his 12 year old granddaughter killed a deer before he did. It was one he'd "been watching" all season. Well it was the last weekend of season we live 5 hours away from the ranch that he walks everyday of the 6 week season. And it was her second year hunting and a 2 year old buck. I don't understand it. Well I do, he has to be the center of attention in everything. But damn, it's his 12 year old granddaughter. I struggle.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I have no idea why a grandfather would be disappointed in that situation. It sounds like a wonderful situation. I hope to go out with my grand kids someday and manage camp and tell stories about the times when hunters were half pioneers, half mountain men. :D
Pacific Power and Light had a rental on a piece of Forest Service land that was leased or under permit. The was rented by an employee of PP&L who was watching a small herd near his house. I was totally ignorant of that piece of information when I went hunting one morning and killed a bull about a mile from his home.
After shooting the bull, I walked out to the road with the head of the bull on my shoulder, right to where his wife was waiting in his pickup. She kept remarking about how nice that bull was. It wasn't any great trophy, but descent. I had seen him a little earlier that opening day morning, and he tried to cut in on my hunt, so I had gone one ridge over just to avoid him. That is where the elk were. When he got back to his truck his wife said I was up the hill dressing out his elk.
The year before an employee I worked with had killed one so close to this PP&L guy that he let out a yell. My co-worker had not seen him, but soon they were acquainted. I understood his disappointment but had to chuckle, as he had cut in front of me after I told him I was with my dad and headed down the ridge we were on. Life is good.
Swede

Postby Old school » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Life is full of all types. I've met some real jerks and I've met some great people. Out west in the mountains its no different. I will say I've met more great people than jerks though. 3 miles back and you bump into a couple of guys that have the same goal as you, they just happened to come in from the other side. Chat a while, decide who is going where, shake hands and move on. Would I rather have it all to myself? Well of course yes, but it doesn't always work out that way. I've also met the jerks that cut up in front of you and don't think anything about it. I just shift gears and roll with the punches. The hunt is about so much more than a kill and a confrontation.

Right now I hunt with my boys and of course we all get along. One of these days they will be grown and gone and I'll probably have to find someone else to hunt with out west.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Lefty » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Many of my hunting partners were friends before we hunted So overall they are " real" family or friends.

Some extended family i quit hunting with because of a long ago situation,.. that I couldn't let go.A party of 7 of us,.. found out 11 years later that three of them that were hunting didnt have tags and killed game. Also found out that they often used another states address to get resident tags. I had been invited on other hunts with them,. Im not going to be cfound in the same county as them.

I hunted with one fellow for geese. Kind of a pain. He had never set me up on a hunt,..never gotten permission, never drove me to the field, Didn't scout, never used his gear, cant blow and shouldn't blow a goose call ; Im the one who set up ( Idaho law: I am not a guide, I did not trade for anything of value or any form of compensation etc :roll: ) I guess its my fault I hunted with him.

He was safe but created his own pit rules.
He had a weird sense of entitlement. Shot at birds outside his lane, Shot into birds before the shot was called, even with other friends; big rule in my pit, kids and newbies get first shots he thought he should shoot before for youth, felt put out when I took my young teenage girls hunting( without him) thought my dog took up too much room in the pit my dog was rock steady and never,.. yes never was a problem in a pit or layout. Always whining how he hadn't shot many or any birds that year. Always complaining why we didnt take the shot or we should have shot
His biggest complaint was I didnt take him more often. :shock:
one of The first hunts he wanted to finish my daughters limit birds. I do not party hunt any game.

The guy couldn't pull his own weight on the hunt
It sort of ended years back . I asked for help unloading my gear,.. his wife called, he had to head home.
My expectations with others in the field I believe are reasonable. But even picking up decoys, My daughters in their early teens could pack in and out three times the gear he would move. I am a freak about my decoy care,.. He was used to throwing decoys My decoys are bagged then set in the trailer.
He was always the guy to claim he shot birds. Then whine when he had his limit :lol:
Bragged about his shooting skills to no end,,. hunt after hunt his shots per bird was always the highest of the hunt; that all ended on a hunt. A neighbor kid joined us in the pit, a common thing years back. The kid was to call the shot, and did. the kid and I rose and each dropped three birds; All dead under 25 yards. Whiner had a $800-$1000 worth of goose calls tangled around his neck and finally shouldered his gun and the first shot into the birds at maybe 90 yards., along with a string of profanities.

I just dont get to hunt with real friends as often I I wish
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I don't like to listen to complaining. I am with Lefty on that for sure. It usually starts after a few days of hunting where game is scares. Then the tree stands are in the wrong place, the steps to the stand are too far apart, this piece of junk does not work right, the weather is lousy, blaa blaa. Some people never complain and some are constant. I don't think complainers realize how they come across to others.
I have also notices that habitual complainers are braggers too. When they get something, they are nearly legendary hunters.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I use to hunt with a guy that had to kill an elk.We were all dirt poor back then and elk hunts were done on a shoe string budget.That elk meant lot and some times i meant the difference of having meat few times a week or not, but this gut would make everyone's life in camp miserable if he wasn't seeing elk or someone else got one before him.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics