Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do You Cook?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Do You Cook?

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I cook less than half of the time when I am out hunting. If someone else is around and can cook, I usually let them. I do if I am alone, or if the others are younger and don't like cooking. My brother and cousin both are good cooks and like to do it. Another way to say this is that I act inept at cooking so I can get out of it. I will often put things on the grill and tend to that. That includes hamburgers, steaks, and yes hot dogs.
What about you? Do you cook and do you like cooking?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Do You Cook?

Postby Lsb » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I do most of the cooking. Kinda enjoy it.
Lsb

Postby saddlesore » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I do all my cooking.Usually prepare full meals
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I cook,.. Im not a chef

I was raise on a meat and potatoes German style foods. Cafe lunches were beef commercials.Both my brothers are the same way doing all the family home cooking.At home I do most of the cooking. Generally we have a couple nights a week where our daughters will come over to eat supper or at least cleanup potential leftovers. My wife does make some very good meals

My wife's diet was much different than mine when we first married. A desert after every meal, generally some sort of cake. She couldn't stand so many German foods. She grew up in a household that didnt have onions on anything or cooked any way . She had never eaten sauerkraut in any form, Didn't know what bruanswigert was :o And pickled beets were the only thing she had ever had pickled :o

Hunting I try to make good sandwiches or bagels that I take into camp,.. but Im too tired when I m back at camp to cook anything. My wife has warmed soup for me. My daughter has given me her leftover nasty Mountain House,
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deanmac » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I enjoy cooking and like to eat well while hunting/camping.
Deanmac

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Depends on the type of camp but yes, I’ve been known to whip up some decent gruel.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 7]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Depends on the type of camp but yes, I’ve been known to whip up some decent gruel.

Definitely. I can attest to that. RJ and his friend both do a very good job of preparing a meal in hunting camp.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I cook every night. Add boiling water, wait 9 minutes. Throw “dish” in garbage.

Actually I love to cook at home. It’s the dishes I’m not a fan of. But the little lady doesn’t mind those and she gladly lets me cook so it works out well. Last night crab stuffed walleye. The night before black nugget marinated deer back straps. The night before that elk meatloaf. Garlic every night!

In elk camp I don’t have time for that. I’d cook but the dirty dishes would stack up to the ceiling.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I cook.Mostly about what I eat at home. I find if I vary my diet a lot when hunting, I pay for it with cramps, upset stomach, fast trips to the latrine
saddlesore

Postby ishy » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Solo I rarely cook, but when I'm in a group I feel like I need to help as much as possible.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L