Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Hunters Are Smarter!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Hunters Are Smarter!

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Yes, you read that right. If you have any doubts let's discuss the obvious.
The success rate is as good or better than other hunting means.
The tree stand hunter is taking it easy all day.
The tree stand hunter can go out day after day, and does not have to heal up from an especially brutal day in the stand.
The tree stand hunter does not need to go to the laundry to wash clothes that stink near as often as the guy on the ground. No sweat, no stink. I think eat less groceries too.
The tree stand hunter reads and educates or entertains self without breaking even a sweat. They can get smarter while in their stand. :D
The tree stand hunter is safer and more aware of their surroundings, which keeps them smarter.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Hunters Are Smarter!

Postby Lsb » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 2]

So tree standers are weak.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

While blind hunting is similar to stand hunting, and Ive done plenty,.. I prefer a change of scenery. Now ive seen some neat stuff from a blind, but it needs to come to you.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Yea,but it is 20 feet off the ground. About 6 feet is my limit
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Can't think of a worse feeling than being tied up 20 feet up in a tree and a nice bull elk walks by just out of range and you can't do anything about it! Oh well, back to reading your book and getting an education :o . Just razzing you Swede :D
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Lsb wrote:So tree standers are weak.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:Yes, you read that right. If you have any doubts let's discuss the obvious.
The success rate is as good or better than other hunting means except for Joe’s spot and stalk method which is clearly superior.
The tree stand hunter is taking it easy all day so when they don’t kill anything they can’t help but wonder if a little run and gun would have paid off.
The tree stand hunter can go out day after day, and does not have to heal up from an especially brutal day in the stand other than their hemmoroids which are killing them!
The tree stand hunter does not need to go to the laundry to wash clothes that stink near as often as the guy on the ground even though they have nothing better to do. No sweat, no stink. I think eat less groceries too in camp anyway because all they do is munch all day to fight boredom.
The tree stand hunter reads and educates or entertains self without breaking even a sweat as the elk sneak behind their tree. They can get smarter while in their stand which means they might actually climb down and go hunting. :D
The tree stand hunter is safer and more aware of their surroundings unless they are sound asleep snoring , which keeps the elk smarter.

:D
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Thanks guys. You clowns are making the case for me. Why would tree stand hunters be weaker. The can set their stands out where the ingress and egress exercise is ideal, but mostly they are in excellent condition due to packing out game. As for not being comfortable at 20 plus feet height; that too is a mental problem. :lol:
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

If an elk is a mile and a half away who’s smarter.... the guy reading a book or the one who walks over and kills it while enjoying the scenery and staying in shape along the way? I’m a stand hunter for whitetails because their home range is about 1 square mile. I may be a tree stand hunter for elk when I have no choice.... kinda like trading my two wheeled Harley in on a trike. But until then my motto is Make It Happen! I do realize that Washington is different. With all those people around elk are probably more like whitetails when it comes to how spooky they are.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I see you characters are having a hard time understanding this matter. Let me help you here.
#1 You too will be smarter and look smarter by hunting from a tree stand.
#2 If you go back 1 mile or 2 miles it is because you want to.
#3 If you hunt 700 feet from a main road like I did last season you can kill elk.
#4 The tree stand hunter has time after he/she hunts to see the scenery and do whatever they like.
#5 The tree stand hunter's clothes last longer than a brush clown's clothes do.
#6 The tree stand hunter does not need Ben Gay or Aleve to manage aches and pains. Smart, very smart!
Swede

Postby Lsb » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Let me rephrase, tree stand hunters are wimps :D
Lsb

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I need Aleve to make a cup of coffee in the morning!
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I have spent countless hours in a tree stand hunting whitetails. Hunting elk for me is about that cat and mouse game and the opportunity to have one come running in with snot flying all over while screaming insults at me. Should I move up? Should I move back? Should I move right or left? Come from above, below, same level, watch for cows, the list is endless and it keeps changing by the second. For me, hunting elk is more than just killing elk. If it was just killing elk, I could buy a depradation tag and kill a cow out of someone's pasture. Or even easier, a canned hunt behind a fence. But that isn't the experience I want. I want to see country. I want to see animal sign (of all kinds). I want more than tree stand hunting can offer.

Now I understand if you lean toward wearing skinny jeans and are not confident in your skills, you might want to hunt out of tree stands. For those of us who still have our Man Cards though, we prefer to do it on the ground, face-to-face. :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Tigger wrote: Hunting elk for me is about that cat and mouse game and the opportunity to have one come running in with snot flying all over while screaming insults at me. Should I move up? Should I move back? Should I move right or left? Come from above, below, same level, watch for cows, the list is endless and it keeps changing by the second.

And in the end you can tell the wife, kids and friends you were hunting saber tooth tigers, and usually have just as much evidence for your effort. Tree stand hunters are after game, while others are playing a game. :shock:
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 15]

On the contrary, I am thrilled with my success rate. I think IS and ElkNut are happy with theirs as well. In fact, I can hunt in so many different ways it makes me more successful. The bull I shot in 2017 was spotted first and I did spot and stalk. This year's bull was called in. I don't want to be pigeonholed into only 1 method and live or die with that method.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Another misconception is that a tree stand hunter is "pigeonholed". The tree stand hunter can be as mobile as any, but he is very smart and takes advantage of the situation as it is. It increases his success rate without the burnout and frustration of a ground hunter.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 17]

“The treestand hunter can be as mobile as any”
Attachments
4219C41A-1545-4D1A-BC31-1BA8151869BF.jpeg
4219C41A-1545-4D1A-BC31-1BA8151869BF.jpeg (77.6 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 18]

You are cracking me up this week Swede. I feel like I’m watching you do your winter psychological therapy needed to maintain your sanity while staring at the same scenery for weeks next fall.

The mobile hunter can stop anywhere he pleases and take a stand to wait for an elk to come by. The mobile hunter is extremely flexible and only takes a stand when the current conditions and situation calls for it instead of deciding weeks in advance where he will spend his valuable time. A mobile hunter never has all of his eggs in one basket... instead he owns an entire mountain. A mobile hunter doesn’t sit and saturate one location with his scent for days or weeks. A mobile hunter is never at the mercy of the wind because he can approach elk from any direction he pleases making adjustments as needed. Contrary to the belief of some tree roosters the mobile hunter never becomes frustrated or burned out because he isn’t sweating out plan A strapped to a tree trunk. Instead he is loving life exploring the beautiful elk mountains as he... or she carries out plans B, C, D, E etc etc continually rejuventing his confidence so every day and even every hour is like a new day. The mobile hunter knows that elk change and adapt to different situations, pressure, weather patterns, and long term changes in habitat so he is constantly learning his area and how the elk use it so he can stay in tune with those changes and be successful today, tomorrow, and in years to come. The mobile hunter is an effective fine tuned well oiled elk hunting machine programmed to search seek and destroy!
Attachments
B0A87CB2-8F34-4E6E-9C41-221D5A47FBA0.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:A mobile hunter doesn’t sit and saturate one location with his scent for days or weeks.

Neither does a tree stand hunter. The true tree stand hunter has several stands and understands when and where to hunt for maximum effectiveness. The tree stand elk hunter knows that elk move over a large area and they are not hunting Whitetails. The tree stand hunter knows it does not matter if access to the stand brings scent into the area if he gets to the stand before the elk arrive in the area. The tree stand hunter is 25-30 feet up when the elk show up. The tree stand hunter is high up so the wind carries all scent a long way off.
As far as the mobile argument, it is as lame as the better scenery one. The tree stand hunter can be as flexible as any, and is tethered to the tree. They are not chained. I suspect you will wake up in the middle of the night saying "the tree stand hunters are smarter." :D Of coarse there is the possibility you have not figured it out yet. :lol:
Swede

Postby Lsb » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 20]

You've convinced me Swede, treestanding is the absolute best way to kill an elk. Anyone coming to Montana to bowhunt elk take note. If you want to kill an elk easy peasy, bring your treestand, hang it up, climb in before daylight, stay until dark and keep your mouth shut. No calling. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel. Thanks Swede for the great advice!
Lsb

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Tree stand hunters know better than to listen to the advise of non stand hunters. Tree stand hunters understand they get more game, but they have to be intelligent and thoughtful about it. Non tree stand hunters don't get it, and that is why they stay on the ground. :D
Swede

Postby Lsb » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 22]

Absolutely Swede. Bring your stands everyone.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Lsb wrote:Absolutely Swede. Bring your stands everyone.

Finally! You have no idea how much I wished everyone would use a tree stand where I hunt. Hunters going everywhere blowing on bugles, or thinking they can sneak through the bedding areas midday, push all of the elk onto the private land by the forth day of the season. In other areas the elk go silent and head for the extremely difficult places. I would have no problem with more people getting elk. It would be great, and the elk would not be concentrated on a ranch behind "No Hunting" signs.
But, if we agree, does that not take the fun out of this thread?
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Tree stand hunters get more game?

Bwaahahaha.... starting to sound like Fox News. Did you get that statistic from a government survey? If that were the case the majority of us would be doing it. Elk hunters working the large home range of elk definitely kill more game and they have way more fun doing it. Tree stand hunters do what they do because where the live and hunt it might be the best choice. In the real mountains a man can go and hunt the way it was meant to be. I’ve hunted Washington Swede. Stands were the way to go. I’ve hunted many other places and they definitely were not.

Maybe you should create a poll? How do you hunt and how many years out of ten do you kill elk. Bulls!

I’ll say this and no survey needed... techniques vary by area and by skill level. If you don’t really excel at calling or moving in on a herd of elk you probably are better to wait them out up in the air. Anyone who makes a statement saying my way is best is a durn fool. Where you hunt I may be best served dangling from a tree. Where I hunt your success rate would be 1/10 of mine.

I’ll add this: Persistence is key as we’ve determined in the poll you created on the other thread. They key to persistence is confidence. You are confident in a tree stand so that’s probably the best tactic. For you. So if you care to take a dare I’ll make a bet with you. :D
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 25]

Ooooo! Someone is going to lose their soul to the devil! Who ends up with the golden fiddle?

Here is something that hasn't been brought up....tree stand hunting, even if successful at the end of the hunt, comprises of about 99.9% of the time being insanely bored. Same scenery, hour after hour. I do it for deer, I know. You cannot sugarcoat it. Most of the time you are bored to tears. You jump for joy when a mule deer doe walks by at 100 yards cuz you finally have something to look at! Yeah, you can read a book, but that that is a bandaid at best.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 26]

I.S. I do not live in or hunt Washington. I hunt one State almost exclusively - Oregon.

For information only: Actually I did a survey on Bowsite several years ago. I freely admit it is not scientific but it was interesting. It appeared that successful hunters were more likely to respond than unsuccessful ones, but I have no reason to think any one group of hunters was more candid than any other.

I received responses for 69 hunts by 59 persons. Here are the results as tabulated:

Calling - 25 hunters got 14 elk 56% success, Spot & Stalk - 25 hunters got 11 elk 44% success, Tree Stand - 11 hunters got 7 elk 64% success, and Ground Blind - 8 hunters got 3 elk 38% success.
The calling hunters spend more time out than the others on average, and there was no real difference in the size of gender of the elk. One group of hunters was not getting more or larger bulls than another. Obviously they were all bow hunters.

I started this thread only for entertainment. It is intended to be nothing more. When a person starts wanting to challenge or get me to gamble over whose way is best, it has gone too far. The idea of trying to prove or disprove the nonsensical is ludicrous. Anyone in their right mind knows you could have a very low IQ and tree stand hunt, just the same as with any other type of hunting. Hunting is not for geniuses or super athletes. We can all go out and have fun at it. It should never be a competition to see who is better or whose way is best. I am sorry that apparently this has offended some.
Swede

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 27]

Here is another thread that is going the wrong direction. I am locking it.
Swede