Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Winter Doldrums

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Winter Doldrums

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I was talking to RJ a little while ago. He has taken me out to the woodshed for a couple of my ill conceived threads. I am no new comer the shed where we also hang game and split kindling. :D Some times I give someone a good listening to out there. As a young delinquent I learned many years ago, if you are not in trouble once in awhile You are not pushing the limits hard enough. That is really not a good idea here. :roll:
Anyway I thought I would share a perspective with you. Winter is a time when many of us are cooped up and we can get carried away. I know I still run along the foul line some. But lets give RJ a break. He is trying to keep the asylum as hospitable as possible. I am sure I can speak for the moderators in saying we want the same thing. Our objectives are simple: keep it fun and informative. I will personally try to avoid the kind of threads/posts that will land me back in the shed.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Winter Doldrums

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 2]

If youre feeling cooped up in the winter, throw on some warm clothes, grab a distress call and weapon of choice, and go call some predators. Best way to spend time in the winter. Ill be back at it when i get home next weekend. Between predator hunting and shed hunting theres no reason to be feeling cooped up in the winter!
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I don't really care to go out and just shoot something I wouldn't eat. I have not found a good recipe for coyote. After thinking about all of the bears I saw last season I am contemplating buying a tag. If I shoot on it will be close to where I can load it in the truck and take it to a processor. I think they would make good peperoni and jerky. Coyote, not so much.
Actually I have been engaged in a good Bible study. Exodus will take me several hours per day for several months. By the time I finish it will be Spring.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Fair enough on the yotes, but lions are good eating.
wawhitey

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 5]

We still have 1 more week of deer season left and I just happen to have an either sex tag left. Need some more slim Jim’s.
Elkhntr08

Postby wawhitey » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Elkhntr08 wrote: Need some more slim Jim’s.

Aack. Think id rather eat coyote. :mrgreen:
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 7]

If WA suggestions aren't possible :shock: :lol:If you lived in Minnesota or North Dakota the solution is simple go ice fishing

Winter Doldrums are other words for mental illness, and depression, or you are just bored. :P Easy cures for all . My preference in two weeks once the goose hunt is over is to take long walks in the desert with my dog and a firearm. The dog cant walk over a mile a day and snow of any depth is impossible.So she will be iin the truck or car
I bought a golds Gym weigh workout station I hope not to use ;) I want to stay too busy.

I cured my kids growing up complaining of nothing to do or being bored, or being in the house. Do house work or get outside. One daughter read, ( too much) Another grows flowers and one is hardcore cowgirl redneck Jeeper .

I retired last year in November. I had too much time set aside for physical therapy and doc appointments. I filled my time doing home projects, maybe getting our house in order to sell (or not). then It was off to do work on all three (single) daughters homes, each requiring extensive work. Then I bought a marijuana grow house: :roll: ( I know what some of you are thinking) Im turning it back into a house
All of that gave me what I decided was prime time to chose when to hunt/hike.

I ordered snaring supplies, Im converting my snares to Idaho legal and plan to set out maybe 6-10 locations for coyote and cats for the fur, fun and exercise.
Swede that coastal range is incredible the number of cats and stinky coyotes. OK I guess California Oregon and Washington are out :evil:

Back to last year. I really thought I was going to be bored. I put in extra time into Boyscouts, church youth program , Help some older with around their property needs. Helped build hot tub wheelchair accessible hot pool and enclosed for year around use.

Ikll finish up the goose hunts the next 14 days, get out the coyote and cat snares. Ask Rossie and WA for advise on big cat calling,.. And be the perfect man-servant ( house keeper) for my wife maybe a few days fishing kokanee.
I sleep better worn out.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Here at 7600 feet, a lot of snow or cold precludes doing a lot.The snow stops about all getting into places for anything in the outdoors. Ice fishing is at least 60 miles away and 2 trout are permitted. Some pike fishing, but I have never been one to freeze my butt off. Currently it has been averaging -15 at the lakes. I don't see any fun in sliding down a mountain on two sticks or aboard.

I have few acres and taking care of that, keeping the mules fed and watered ,keeping then snow blown or plowed so we can get out takes a fair amount of time.

From December thru April, we just kind of exist. We try to stay out of town, so we don't have to put up with idiots. I guess I have truly entered the curmudgeon stage
saddlesore

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Dunno about doldrums... this is when I start whipping my butt into mountain shape, and put some serious time in with my recurve. I try to leave major shot upgrades for the offseason so I can go on autopilot during the hunt. Throw in a half built driftboat in my garage, wild hogs to kill, and a wife to dote on, I'm running full steam this time of year.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Indian Summer » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I still have 2 weeks of doe season here in Pa. That’s why I behave better than you Swede.

I took a ride to Florida over the weekend to pick up a new bike. It was 73 degrees! Hard to head back north.
Attachments
602B10C8-928D-4B48-AF9A-35E021ADA003.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Wondering how much boned out elk will fit in those saddle bags? ;). Nice looking bike mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Very nice bike. I am sure you could get an elk out with it. No rain and 73 degrees would be nice about now, but I have at least four months to wait. I hope you are not riding that bike without your helmet.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I rarely wear a helmet Swede. Sometimes though. If it’s raining hard or cold out. Or if I’m on a long haul across several states doing high speeds on the interstate loaded down with clothes, gear etc.

I wear a hard hat 50-60 hours a week. My head needs air once in awhile!
Indian Summer

Postby Lsb » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Your choice. I wear a helmet all the time. Nice bike
Lsb

Postby Swede » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 15]

My brother was taking his full size Harley out for a morning ride when a deer ran in front of him. He hit the deer broadside and cut it in two. There was blood, guts, hair and hide everywhere around the area, including some of my brother's hair and hide. He was wearing the minimum clothing so he was hospitalized. Fortunately he was wearing a good helmet, so he survived and was ready to go back to work logging in a few days.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 15, 2019 •  [Post 16]

I had a friend hit a deer coming home from Daytona in South Carolina doing 70mph. He was in the hospital for several months, a wheelchair for a year, and a couple years later he still isn’t 100%. The moral of the story is shoot more deer!
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 17]

We had a little warmer weather here this week so I put the studded snow tires on my wife's Toyota Tacoma, cut down 4 trees that I wanted to get out close to the house today. Always manure to shovel every day
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 18]

saddlesore wrote:Always manure to shovel every day
You are sounding like a politician now.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:

or a moderator on an elk forum :D
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lsb » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Swede wrote:

Politicians don't do anything. Look at the state of the government today.
Lsb