Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Life’s about to get better, I hope

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Life’s about to get better, I hope

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 1]

As of this AM, I have less than 8 days of work left. After 30+ years with Illinois DNR, I’m calling it quits. Our financial guy says we’re 150% invested in our retirement, but I’m still nervous as heck. Looking forward to the traveling and time to hunt an entire season. Wife’s on board with the travel and hunting and at 57, I hope I have a few good years left.
Still can’t get my head wrapped around the idea that I won’t be working and still get paid.
Any advice for a newbie to this retirement thing?
Elkhntr08

Re: Life’s about to get better, I hope

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Seeing as how you were employed by the state of Illinois, I hope you can count on a retirement from them. The financial situation in that state isn't the best in the world.

But good luck! You will have so much to do you'll wonder how you ever kept up with things around the around your place. It will be an adjustment for you and your wife for awhile. You'll be invading on her space now. LOL! But that's not a bad thing. I'll bet she will tell you to get out and go fishing or pick up a part time job just to get out of her hair.

Good luck and happy hunting :D
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The big difference between working steady and retirement is you choose what you do instead of someone else, unless you are married. Then it is a different someone that assigns you work to do. Enjoy your retirement and don't waste any time worrying about the retirement system. There are too many retirees or people that want to retire someday for the politicians to mess with the system much.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Elkhntr08 wrote:,,,,,,,,,,Still can’t get my head wrapped around the idea that I won’t be working and still get paid.
Any advice for a newbie to this retirement thing?

With 16 months under my belt Wrapping your head around it is the biggest problem.
We were never in the position to do what we wanted at retirement. And my wife is afraid to take any risk, so weve gone a different direction.

A friend who retired posted on Facebook "When Every Day Is Saturday: Not the book just a statement. I realized I needed to live that way instead of worrying about money and work. Do things I enjoy and need to do.
We dont have as much put away as we should have. But my wifes concern is my families health history. My family dies young. Last week we bought a new custom small toy hauler/RV. A year ago we bought my old man aluminum trailer for the ATV. This year maybe a newer small boat for fishing.

I got lost in doing what I want to (mostly) get up early, take a short mid day nap, go to bed at night when I want, bought a PROJECT HOUSE and head up to elk hunt any day of the week. I went from5-7 days archer elk hunting to 23 day archery rifle and muzzle loader. Next year I will hunt even more,... maybe run a trap line again. Maybe go east and shoot snow geese and trap muskrats or fox for kicks.
I only hunted on Saturdays with my daughter when there were geese, and didnt hunt otherwise I quite enjoy going out for a ride, scouting for geese or game. I saw more coyotes and elk this year than any other year,.. killed the fewest geese in 15 years and no elk,.. and I almost didn't care( Were almost out of game in the freezer.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Its what you make it. Some lose their sense of belonging and contributing when they retire, and wither. Those who have goals, passions, relationships, things they want, will thrive. I retired from my full-time career last summer. Now I do the same thing from home or wherever, Tues-Thurs, helping 3-4 clients/day instead of 10 when I was full time w my former employer. I love my practice more than ever. I enjoy providing far better client care, have the luxury of matching my services to the individual needs of each client. Now I think about continuing work indefinitely, instead of counting the days until I can quit.

Congratulations :!: I hope it is your time to do what matters most to you.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 6]

The whole stop and smell the flowers thing.
Do what you enjoy. Work on some of the little dreams. Can you afford to start a new small business,.. or like Elkduds mentioned do what you were doing on a smaller scale.

I dont know; but I don't think I would ever use a swing on the front porch.

A neighbor retired as an electrical engineer. As things slowed down at work he started fixing musical instruments for the regional schools. Then he started making violins; Went all out. Travels the US and Canada to learn and purchase materials.
Funny thing is, he doesn't play musical instruments
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 7]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Seeing as how you were employed by the state of Illinois, I hope you can count on a retirement from them. The financial situation in that state isn't the best in the world.

But good luck! ....... :D

You ever consider a career in motivational speaking?!
Good talk!

OP. Congratulations!! I’m totally jealous! Have a great time and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Well done.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 8]

pointysticks wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote:Seeing as how you were employed by the state of Illinois, I hope you can count on a retirement from them. The financial situation in that state isn't the best in the world.

But good luck! ....... :D

You ever consider a career in motivational speaking?!
Good talk!

OP. Congratulations!! I’m totally jealous! Have a great time and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Well done.

He’s correct. The pension is guaranteed by the constitution. Took a up front buy out on the cost of living, so got that in the bank.
Got a job offer today to consult for a gas storage company. Looks like extra money will be available if needled.
Elkhntr08

Postby Magic » 03 20, 2019 •  [Post 9]

In 1994, and at age 51, I found myself being "downsized" and forced into early retirement. I was offered a "contract" job where I had worked, but to me that was an insult. You don't need me but you want to hire me? Nope. There were some financial challenges but as life changes, you change. Since that time, we have traveled to all 50 states and every Canadian Province. I hunt more hours but of course walk less now. The Colorado Elk "hills" are steeper now and I vowed to quit in 2017, but I lied to myself. I went back last year and am already planning this year's trip.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby bawana » 04 02, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Been "semi retired" since 2002. Put in 25 years as a state trooper and left at age 49. Have worked a lot of part time gigs since them, key word being part time! I've been doing federal crop insurance adjusting for the last 11 years, like it so much I'm not sure if I'll ever leave. But once again it's part time and I set my own schedule. My son moved to Idaho Falls last year, and I plan on spending most of the month of September around Caribou Mtn chasing elk.
bawana

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 03, 2019 •  [Post 11]

So far it’s been great. Waiting on one more check off before the contract is a go. If they don’t hurry, I’ll be in Wyoming.
Been finishing up a few projects around the house and staying out of the wife’s way. Workouts and diet has improved now that I have time and not in a rush. Not eating garbage for lunch and the weight is coming off.
Should have done this years ago.
Elkhntr08