Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Double down!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Double down!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Who has been involved in a double big game down day; that is where you and your partner both dropped a critter the same day while hunting “together”?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Double down!

Postby Swede » 03 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I have several times. Most were on deer, but we got three elk in one day too. I guess that would be a triple down.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Ive killed doubles; Doe mule deer. A depredation hunt both deer dead 30 feet off the road.
Wyoming doe antelope hunt. 5 hours apart
I drew a Utah Deseret Land and livestock CWMU management hunt cow tag. Watched 14 cow elk get shot though out the day
A buddy for years tried to get a triple, elk, deer and bear with archery gear. He killed two a bunch of times. daylight always ran out before the third Three friends from Washington drew Wyoming antelope ; We had all three antelope butchered and packed by noon

I dont partner up that often so the possibilities now are limited

My father in law was in on 5 bulls shot together. At that time they could drive right up to them

The best Ive ever seen was Fred Eichklers wife and kids on deer and elk,.. Just fun to watch
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I remember twice getting more than one elk on the same day. The most interesting time started with one hunter in our party killing a nice 4X4 opening morning. That hunter and My son Oly spent most of the morning butchering and packing out that elk. They were back in camp by early afternoon after taking the elk to the butcher shop. It was getting time to return to the hunt when Oly asked if it would be possible for elk to come back to where the elk was shot earlier in the day. I said it sure is possible and since the elk were there earlier, it is likely more will be there soon. So, Oly and I went back to the same location and got two more 5X5s there. Our tree stands were only about 50 yards apart. The largest bull bunch I have ever seen came in that late afternoon and we both filled our tags. Oly's elk was shot about a half hour before mine. We just sat in our stand until after Oly's elk was down. The others were not real close when the first elk was shot so they were not disturbed. The large bunch actually showed up after I had shot mine.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 03 20, 2019 •  [Post 5]

My daughter and I shot our antelope bucks seconds apart this year. That was pretty cool. My 3 kids all shot deer on opening day in MN this year as well. My dad shot one as wells, so that is 4 deer with 3 nice bucks on opening day this year.
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Only with deer and the trip out wasnt very far. I cant imagine dropping two elk with a long pack out. Talk about some work. I would love for it to happen though.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Indian Summer » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Killed a Pope and Young 6 point at noon. While quartering it out my brother and I heard a bugle. I cow called and a second bugle was much closer. He moved about 10 yards toward the bugle and I hunkered down next to the dead bull. 5 minutes later he arrowed a 5 point.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby tikka » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 8]

A friend and I shot small mule deer bucks that were bedded together. The old shoot on three. One, Two , bang I shot, then he shot. We argued if I shot early, but both fell right there. Great memories and tasty meat.
tikka

Postby muzzyelk » 03 22, 2019 •  [Post 9]

4 deer on opening day by 9:30 in the morning!
muzzyelk