Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

possible cool stuff on the horizon

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

possible cool stuff on the horizon

Postby Roosiebull » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 1]

it's been a crazy stretch we've been on lately.... really looking to get back to our version of normal... whatever that may be :lol:

a little development happened yesterday, my mother in law bought a foreclosure, and my wife mentioned where it was which instantly intrigued me.... i got more details and started getting excited, then went and looked at it today and i think we might be moving :D

the home is nothing special, but totally fine, the property is beautiful, tucked back in the trees with a nice lush yard, and a couple apple trees. there is a little dead end road beyond the house that goes up to the areas water supply, and from there, i had 25+ waypoints on my GPS from elk hunting.... it's smack dab in the middle of the zone i hunt the most..... so i could wake up, bugle out the bathroom window, and go kill the bull that answers me :mrgreen:

it's literally 300 yds from an old hidden road grade i hunt from a LOT, with very minimal effort, I could chop a trail and have super fast access to tons of elk country... pretty cool stuff. i'm almost certain we're going to buy it, and rent our current house out.
Roosiebull

Re: possible cool stuff on the horizon

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 2]

That is almost too easy Roosie. Don't you think you should rent out the new place to an avid bow hunter?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:That is almost too easy Roosie. Don't you think you should rent out the new place to an avid bow hunter?

haha! what I like is the home is smaller (ours is too big for just us, we don't even use the top story of our house) and more usable space in the house without being an overwhelming area to keep clean and heat..... oh yeah, and elk hunting out the back door! nice little quiet place too, in a community of older folks. we talked to one of the neighbors there, and everyone in that little neighborhood is over 55yrs old, which is cool, because we are mellow, and don't like being around a bunch of rowdy people. really safe neighborhood too, no riff raff or reason for riff raff to be around..... until we move in :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 4]

at this point I would say it's a 90% chance of coming to fruition, my wife loves it too. we live on a pretty busy road, it would be nice to not... looks like I could shoot my bows further than i'll need to as well... looks like I could easily get 70yds in the complete open, and put a couple 3d targets in the trees 8-)
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Funny how sometimes good things happen to good people. Sounds awesome, fingers crossed that it works out for you guys! Blacktail on the yard, in the apples, and close elk hunting. Epic. Next thing you’ll find is a hidden stream nearby with fat Brook Trout for weekend breakfast :).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 6]

haha, there is a steelhead stream right there, a couple hundred yards away, but no brookies…. I have never seen one in person, but they are a bucket list fish... they look beautiful in pics
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Well, good for you Roosie. I hope it works out great. It is odd I guess that my wife and I live in the largest house we ever owned, and all of our children are grown up and gone.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 30, 2019 •  [Post 8]

There are always nice places up for sale
But some times the right place only shows. Up few time during life

If your wife’s on board go for it
Our current house has 2 unused bathrooms and 3 empty bedrooms , what a waste of ( my) energy and time
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 30, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Lefty: Maybe I have a solution for your too much space problem. I can come over and hunt from your home and use the spare bedroom like a free loading brother in law. What's for dinner? :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 30, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:Lefty: Maybe I have a solution for your too much space problem. I can come over and hunt from your home and use the spare bedroom like a free loading brother in law. What's for dinner? :D

Even as much as I like you! Im not letting you waste your time elk hunting close to my place. Now I might send you another direction :lol:

If your going to act like a freeloading brother-in-law,.. horse meatloaf the first night,. Possum cracklings the 2nd evening,.. We should have some salmon steaks. A couple years back this little river in Oregon was lined with salmon,.. just laying along the edges of the bank,.. lots of them,.. we only kept the ones that didnt smell too bad :lol:

Back to Rossie;; Some great opportunities only happen once in a married lifetime.
Here is my horror story. Small town school offered me a job,.. A brand new-nearly finished home built by Californians that loved Bear Lakes summer weather. 64 acres of perfect farm-ground bordering National Forest,."free irrigation water. Great view of the valley, and a few miles from the remains of my my in laws ranch. :cry: still makes me cry,.. Unfortunately my wife had a job offer further away
Make it happen! get the house,.. if you dont like it someone else will
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Lefty: You sound like a lousy host. You can come to my camp and hunt. At least we will enjoy some good food and a warm, dry place to stay. After dinner we can plot our harassment strategy on RJ.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 05 02, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Things are looking good! Unless something crazy happens, we will be in there by the end of the month! My wife is slowly going through stuff getting ready. Pretty exciting... only a 10yr loan too!
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 02, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Sweet! House warming party at Roosie's place early July? I "hear" that he'll be providing elk steaks and cedar plank steelhead on the BBQ :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Yep! Fresh summer steelhead from that day 8-)
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 06 02, 2019 •  [Post 15]

House closed Tuesday!

we have been going to town on it full throttle since, lots of work to be done, but stuff is happening quick. we should be moved in by mid month, and i'm excited... a little wore out, but excited :D

i have been getting up at 3:30am, working on the ocean until 2 or 3pm, then out to work on the house until 8 or 9, long days, but light at the end of the tunnel, and it will be worth it in the end for sure.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Thanks for the update Roosie. Got any pictures? Give us a call if you are going to need help keeping the population of those pesky elk down.
Swede

Postby Old school » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 17]

That's awesome Roosie! Real glad it worked out for you. Hoping it will live up to and exceed your expectations and dreams.

--Mitch
Old school