Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Interesting outing

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Interesting outing

Postby Lefty » 05 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Last weekend the weather was not so nice . My father in law needed some help, my back was aching from braking up and moving concrete. Which met I would be road tripping, setting bear bait and cameras

I believe it’s a first I saw a buck and doe antelope jump a fence near Idaho National laboratories the doe had over 6 inches of horn. Maybe it’s the radiation.
The snow in the beaver heads sent me another direction.
An incredible sight as I watched 5 big bulls and a little bull skyline in a bare ridge then walked my direction. Each of the big bulls new growth was splayed out to the side. That group of bulls dropped into a small basin
I didn’t see any deer in Deer Canyon, no elk in Elk canyon no gold on lost gold trail and not a single bear anywhere. I did find a lion Den

The old dog was excited for the road trip

D44E72DF-00A6-44B4-B390-2A50101691D0.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Interesting outing

Postby Lefty » 05 22, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Loaded for bear
Apricot jam
Dog food and 350 lbs of beef trimmings

69025BA7-1341-44B9-BBBA-B390B821CE96.jpeg

While it wasn’t steaming hot I thingI bumped the sow and last years cub off the bait

F28BDE7E-4A45-473E-A532-D01045B13FE3.jpeg

Never found any meat poles just a bit steep

B50551C1-9775-40D3-AFFC-A64B3B63FB84.jpeg

Cell service provided by the USA government
Lefty

Postby Swede » 05 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Beautiful country. I would have liked to have been with you and the dog. The dog looks like an old hunter wanting one more big camp.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Beautiful country. I would have liked to have been with you and the dog. The dog looks like an old hunter wanting one more big camp.

She has been an incredible dog. She won bunches of Best of rosettes at the county and state fairs, that I told my daughters they couldn't use her in the State fair. She knew she hated or loved red tail hawks. She always seemed to spot coyotes and elk before me.
When young my daughters at the lake would sit in rafts or wear livejackets , Holly would swim for hours
The dog was happy when she saw he dog dish go into the truck,.. she knew she was co-piloting!. She has a rough time moving around ,.. her back legs dont do much.. I did put her on the back of the ATV for a short ride on a smooth rode for a couple miles but that was enough. This weekend if I set up blind bear hunting she will lay down on a jacket and be good
She woke me a few times with her snoring 8-) She in nearly totally deaf from cheet grass in her ears one summer. I have to lift her in and out of the truck and car. She loved hunting upland but even more tackling an aggressive goose.
She also knew the goose limit when it was just us two. The forth bird she would grab and head for the pickup. Steady in the blind or out.
This was the first trip in the past year plus I didnt take a shovel. Ive been hoping she passes when were alone in the mountains. I don't want to cry my eyes out in front of others.

You are invited this weekend!My wife just came down , sounds like I'm on my own the next three days,.. If you want to tag along,.. you certainly are invited . Im bringing the camp trailer(heat) Bring a sleeping bag, pillow, and good binos!!!.. you can share bed space with the dog. ( the ole girl sleeps more comfy than most people 8-)

serious offer!!!
Lefty

Postby Swede » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the invite Lefty, especially for allowing me to sleep with such a fine old "snoring" dog. I just got back from a trip to Spokane and a trip to southern Oregon. I need to catch up. I will pass on the invite and allow you some quality time with pooch. She does look like a true friend. Does she graciously share her dog food, or is she more selfish?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 6]

She dosent hog the covers, or the center of the bed or tent. She was quite the companion when I would be sick, or after after the surgeries Ive had.
In her prime a great piece of meat could be hanging off the edge of the counter. She may stare at it , but would never take it. She was never a plate cleaner up either. She always ( yep always) honored other dogs retrieves.
3 -4 years ago she did break a few times after shots were fired to get birds.
and Im sure her snoring is many decibels :lol: lower than ours!!!

My backs aching today So Im postponing my trip,.. maybe tomorrow or Monday.
Lefty