Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Handyman jacks!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Handyman jacks!!!

Postby Lefty » 07 23, 2019 •  [Post 1]

WW got me thinking,.. there needs to be some crazy Handyman /Highlift jack stories
Ive wreaked a few,.. and have some horror stories too.
And at times are the only thing to get you out of deep"do-do"
Ill start with thes story.
My daughter joined a Jeep club. their logo is a Highlift jack with the words Jeep beside it. Our Daughter wanted a jack for Christmas to mount on her Jeep.
Sort of in Passing I told my wife I wouldn't get her a jack,.. My mistake she didn't catch the meaning why.
So Grandpa bought her one and truck mounts.

After Christmas I had to explain I didnt want my daughter owning one.

So let the stories begin on Handyman jacks
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Handyman jacks!!!

Postby Swede » 07 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I can't say I have had any bad stories about hi-lift jacks myself, but I saw a fellow lowering his truck that was lifted high on one. The truck started coming down fine until he got a little careless and started slapping the handle to hurry it along. That went on for a couple of slaps until the jack slapped him back and almost broke his jaw. He was in some serious pain and had to do some self examination to see there were no broken parts on himself. Note to the wise: Have a lot of respect for that type of jack. I would not give one to my daughters, period. I would not give one to my son unless he fully understood everything about how dangerous they can be. They are very unstable when they have something up high. Approach a handy-man jack with great respect and caution.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 07 24, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I had one for many years.Every time I went to use it,it would not do the job.OK for jeeps and such ,but when you get to serious truck weights they are a POS
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 24, 2019 •  [Post 4]

The very first elk hunt I was ever on, I got well acquainted with a handy man jack.

The weather had turned really bad with over foot of snow. So we decided to break camp and get off the mountain. We were towing a two wheel trailer on a road that was slicker than snot. As we rounded a curve, the trailer slid off the road and was hanging over a steep embankment. We were hopelessly stuck. We didn't have a wench. So we broke out the Handy Man and a log chain and tied off to a tree and used the jack to pull the truck. We jacked as far as we dared and chalked the wheels of the truck while we took another bite on the chain. We were only able to get about a foot at a time. But after times of re-rigging , we finally got the truck and trailer back on the road.

Another time I got hi-centered on a rutted out dirt road. With the Handy Man jack I was able to get the front wheel hi enough to place a log under it in the rut and was able to get out.

You just can't do those sort of things with a regular jack.
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 07 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Problem being with most new trucks today, you can't lift with the bumper
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 07 25, 2019 •  [Post 6]

>>WW>,
I am still laughing here :lol: . How exactly would a "wench" have helped you out of that predicament? Would you have made her push? Would she have made you a sammich? Delivered it with a cold beer? Too funny!

For the record, I don't pick on people for typos, but I just couldn't resist as this is a classic typo!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I’m waiting for a story including a jack handle a moron and testicles
Or a jack kicking out and doing 5000 damage to someone else’s new truck

In my group in HS you weren’t a man until a hi lift did enough physical damage to your person where you wish you were dead
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 25, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:>>WW>,
I am still laughing here :lol: . How exactly would a "wench" have helped you out of that predicament? Would you have made her push? Would she have made you a sammich? Delivered it with a cold beer? Too funny!

For the record, I don't pick on people for typos, but I just couldn't resist as this is a classic typo!

OOPS!!! :oops: :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 07 25, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:In my group in HS you weren’t a man until a hi lift did enough physical damage to your person where you wish you were dead

I believe it. I just know I have a lot of respect for a high-lift jack and am nervous around one from the time I start lifting until the time there is no more weight on the jack.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote: am nervous around one from the time I start lifting until the time there is no more weight on the jack.

Watch out
They're downright dangerous in the bed of a pickup or leaning against the wall in the shop too
Lefty