Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blackberries..popping early.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blackberries..popping early.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 1]

The WA blackberry herds are showing up early this year. Went and picked a gallon just a bit ago. They make some mighty fine jam ;)

4257730B-DCA1-460C-9520-A799498CA333.jpeg
4257730B-DCA1-460C-9520-A799498CA333.jpeg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Blackberries..popping early.

Postby wawhitey » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Thats one thing i miss about the puget sound. Blackberries growing everywhere. Thats one invasive species i never could complain about! Man i ate a ton of those suckers growing up.
Went out and picked a bunch of huckleberries for my mom yesterday. She made some "huckleberry pie fudge." I told her she dropped the ball by not using bear lard for the shortening.
http://www.therowdybaker.com/?p=7599
Attachments
20190811_203011.jpg
20190811_203011.jpg (281.97 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I sure miss all the berries from where I grew up.Wild strawberries, raspberries, blackberries. We had a kind of blackberry called a dewberry that grew on a vine, close to the ground. It was double the size of a blackberry, blueberry, huckleberry.We also had hickory nuts hazelnuts black walnuts.

Here in Colorado,you might find an occasional wild raspberry and even less strawberry.It's generally too dry. Of course where you find all those great berry's,it has to have a lot of humidity. I don't miss that.

I remember ,my dad had a good size rubber inflatable boat that would fit all six of us in. One particular lake had a bunch of blackberry bushes overhanging the water. We would load up all the buckets and cruise the shore line picking them.

One thing about picking berries, the skunks liked them too and more than once we encountered the little buggers while picking. That never turned out well for us.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Lovem and hatem
While living in Washington I rented a pasture the cost was two years to kill the black berries

Last year my wife and I stopped and were picking berries and a gal down the road stopped to tell us the black berries may have been sprayed
She just wanted to have a nice way to say she didn’t want us pickinkibg them.

We talked a bit; I got around to in a nice way ask when she moved to the area . She had been there just weeks and didn’t understand the curse and blessings of blackberries :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I can remember one of the homeless guys back in the Midwest where I grew up. When the blackberries got ripe, you could see him with a 5 gal. buck on each arm headed for the blackberry patch. He would trade them to the local restaurant to make blackberry pies in exchange for his meals.

We wore Carhart bibs when we went coon hunting. Crashing through the blackberry patches chasing coon hounds at night made the Carharts the most valuable set of clothes we had.

Some great memories! :)
>>>---WW---->

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Got the stupid things growing all over the place around the house. They’re a bear to mow around. We pick a couple gallon a year, the rest go to the birds.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 7]

The large blackberries are to seedy for me. I love the little trailing blackberries that come out earlier in the lower elevations.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics