Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Balance Of Nature

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Balance Of Nature

Postby Swede » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Friends: The "balance of nature" idea is a myth. There is no such natural process. Predators, Bears, cougars, wolves and even coyotes do not select out the old, weak and crippled deer, elk and other big game species. They take what they can get. Pregnant does, rut worn bulls, calves, fawns, and winter weakened deer in deep snow are easy when available. The rut worn bull is the best of the breeding stock. The new calf is certainly not being taken because it is defective, and the pregnant cow is carrying the future of the herd. These are the prime animals for predators.
In the case of wolves, they will kill and keep on killing until they have no more easy prey available. They will leave their kills without so much as eating a bite out of many of them. Cougars kill an average of once a week. Wolves, bears and cougars do not feed on squirrels and mice to supply their diet.
The next time someone tells you about the "balance of nature" you can tell them that not only do they know nothing about life in the wild, but that by peddling that nonsense, they are actually promoting the detriment of the species States have been trying to maintain.
In reality it is the sportsmen and sportswomen that are the true conservators of nature. They are doing the best to maintain a balance of nature and healthy herd numbers. If given an opportunity they can do more by also controlling the numbers of all predator species.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Balance Of Nature

Postby wawhitey » 09 20, 2019 •  [Post 2]

You can try explaining this to people, but it always comes down to basically "i watched a documentary on tv, so i know everything and youre wrong."
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 09 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Swede... maybe we need to cull out the stupid people who believe that stuff. I wouldn’t mind having a euro mount of a tree hugger. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 09 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I’ve had this exact discussion more than a few times with non-hunters. Many, in fact virtually all of my wife’s acquaintances are non-hunters, with a few anti-hunters. I’ve been engaged in some pretty heated Christmas party discussions regarding hunting. I have found that if I keep a civil discussion going, provide well-thought-out facts and arguments, and follow that up with a gift of elk jerky, summer sausage, or other well-prepared meats, most people come around pretty quick. I highly doubt I have actually changed their minds on anything, but at least they accept the fact that not all hunters are heathens out there shooting animals and cutting their heads off, and driving all of North America’s cute cuddly’s to extinction.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

My wife had this discussion with an acquaintance after my wife mentioned I was archery hunting. My wife brought up that nature was never balanced!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H