Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lolo question: predators

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lolo question: predators

Postby wawhitey » 10 03, 2019 •  [Post 1]

So any of you spend much time in idaho units 10 & 12? Im not here to weasel out elk info. Im curious about bear densities. Looking at where to do some spring bear hunting, i see that 10 and 12 are open through june 30th for all 3 bear, lion and wolf. For that reason id like to hunt bears there, to be able to maximize my opportunity by being able to notch a wolf or lion tag if i call one in.
Im also interested in your take on bear densities in units 7 & 9, since those 2 units are open for bear through july 31st, which leads me to believe there must be a very healthy number of bears there.
So, any knowledge about bear densities in those 4 units would be great. Also, since ill be hunting via calling, i have to ask, are grizz numbers very high there? Or is it like the selkirks where there are some grizz, but not exactly a thriving population worthy of significant concern when calling?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Lolo question: predators

Postby Lefty » 10 05, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Ive been there a few times, never hunted it, But this is what others have told me.
Good populations of Predators that are tough to get to. My father in lw hunted the area 5 decades back,.. and likely if he hunted it, there was game then
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 10 06, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I know a guy who is a really good houndsman that absolutely slays both bears and lions along the Dworshak Reservoir. He’s an outfitter friend and his success is 100%. He actually offers guaranteed bear hunts. Does pretty well on bobcats over there too. I have no idea about the wolf population.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby wawhitey » 12 01, 2019 •  [Post 4]

After always thinking im going to do it, but not actually getting after it, i just bought my idaho tags for 2020. Its on. Going to have a very busy year. Between washington and idaho im going to try to get 4 bears and 2 deer, and hope i can add some lion and /or wolf action into the mix too. Wont be able to take any time off during elk season i dont think.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey