Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hybrid Pickup

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hybrid Pickup

Postby Swede » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I thought I would start another conversation since all of you jerks are just sitting around quietly this morning, sipping your coffee and acting like hunting season is over.

Would you ever buy a hybrid pickup or other hunting truck?

I don't think I would, but don't know why for sure. If it got better fuel economy and could haul and tow like the trucks available today, maybe I would, but I am skeptical. I do not have a hybrid car, but have thought about a Tesla.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hybrid Pickup

Postby Tigger » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Extremely doubtful for me.

On a related note, a buddy of mine took a picture of 8...yes 8! charging stations for Teslas in.....wait for it......Chamberlain SD. I wonder how many times the 8th Tesla has shown up and the driver was so thankful there wasn't 7 charging stations.... :?:
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I would find it hard to find one that would go down the road with16,000 pounds.

As for electric cars, all these snowflakes and tree huggers that think by driving an electric car they don't use fossil fuels, where in he heck do they think that electricity comes from but fossil burning power plants? What a joke
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Actually we get a lot of our electric power in the northwest from hydroelectric plants and wind farms. I would think Wyoming and Colorado could supply the world with electricity from wind farms. :D
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Wind farms are another fallacy.We have thousands here.They don't supply even 20% of the power needed for Colorado Springs even.The liberals up i Denver way thought we all needed to invest in wind power or alternative energy and decided Colorado had to have at least 20% of their power derived from it by a certain date. What happened is our rates went up to pay for it. Like the big solar array installed on the Air Force Academy.It has a 30 year pay back and life expectancy is 25 years.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... PaMfxuIGVO
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 10 31, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Based on statistics provided by the Northwest Power Council I have read we get 58% of our power from hydroelectric generators and over 70% is considered clean energy. Propaganda aside, steel is still steel and is recyclable too. I suppose the generator in a windmill has a calculated lifespan, but I see no reason why the vast majority of the structure would need to be scrapped. If we are going to complain about the lifespan of a windmill, then it seems fair to complain about the lifespan of an oil tanker, pipeline or refinery. And who can recycle burnt diesel? Wind, sun and water are perpetual.
For the record: I have no beef with gasoline or diesel or any other energy source including nuclear. I just see complaining about harnessing the wind as silly.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 11 01, 2019 •  [Post 7]

What I don't like about the wind farms is the negative impacts they have on wildlife. Much harder on wildlife than you would ever think. Plus, they take up sooooo much land. Ever try living near one? I met a guy once.....he hated the windfarms but nobody would buy his place. how much fossil fuel does it take to make and install a windfarm? Look that one up!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 11 01, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Filling stations for Tesla’s in Lima Montana

If technology improves what I need for a hunting truck changes

I can get a car to camp, most times
We use Atv,s most times to travel from camp or hike out
I do need something bigger to pull the 14 toy hauler
I do not require a bigger pickup for work

If a hybrid had similar operational expenses and met our requirements I would be fine
It may be getting closer
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 01, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Tigger, if you go on that as a reason not to like wind farms, which I personally see only on open private land; then what do you say to mining shale oil? Extracting oil from shale takes a lot more fuel to produce. They sure do not look like a wildlife Mecca either. Have you seen the satellite pictures of places where they are mining shale for oil?
People don't like coal either as it is dirty and those strip mines are as ugly as the shale oil fields. They don't like nuclear because of the risks. They don't like hydroelectric dams, and we are constantly hearing people advocate for their removal. Some dams are already being removed. They kill fish and some populations have already gone extinct. One awesome salmon species, commonly known as the June Hogs is no more. Grand Coulee brought them to an end. Solar power generation is disliked by many people. It takes energy and land area to produce energy.
What energy source can you name that does not have some adverse side effect and a significant number of detractors? We may personally like one energy source better than another, but I suspect it is because it doesn't adversely affect you as much as the alternative(s).
We do not log on federal land anymore as it is hard on wildlife. Never mind the fact that the deer and elk populations have tanked in many large areas due to stopping the logging on F.S. land. We are seeing more and larger wildfires here in the west, but we can't even salvage log or treat the slash. At the same time people are building bigger and bigger homes and moving out farther and farther into deer and elk winter range. Everyone wants to live the good life without any compromise. Only my neighbor needs to do without.
So back to the question: Would you buy a hybrid pickup?
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 10]

As far as resources I think a simple improvement in small hydro plants would have the least effect on the overall environment.but saving or not using would be simple enough
II look at my daughters household electricity use , well under $30 a month and highs were because of AC use
If we were truly concerned about the "environment " SUVs and pickups would be the size of a Volts-wagon beetle. Our houses would a fraction of the size we build. Last year in the US the average house size was 2600 square feet In the 50's it was under 1000 square feet and had more kid in them . My parents home was 900 sq feet with three boys and a basement. My wife's family was 5 girls and a boy 1100 square feet
Our house now, 3600 sq feet ,.. plain stupid for two of us.
that would be a start

we use trucking instead of rail; trucking is well over 3x the cost than by rail. But we want our amazon order tomorrow.

Then we have our toys,.. Big Red gets what ? a gallon of fuel per 1/4 mile.
My wifes ATV about 18 miles per gallon my pickup 13 mpg. My neighbors ski boat about 6 gallons per hour ,.. My daughters Grome(sp?) 70 mph

who cares about how our electricity is generated,.. seems like only the "Government of Californian"

My wife claims to be converting to being a minimalist,.. basically Im suppose to get rid of all my stuff,.. after some cleaning,.. most of my crap,.. came from her dad
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H