Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Maybe a future treasure

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Maybe a future treasure

Postby Lefty » 04 05, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Write it up, take a picture!

When I was in 8th grade the Minnesota deer season was closed because of the previous hard winter. I was going to miss a lot of school. We were going to Saskatchewan deer hunting. 1971.
I collected all the homework from school. My English assignment was to write a page a day of the hunt. Such a fantastic keepsake and reward. killed Two white-tail bucks, sub zero temps every night. heard my first coyotes, and wolves. Saw my first elk,,,,,,,,

All those day to day stories that will be gone when we are. My wifes grandfather had some of his early 1900 stories. As a 5 year old it was his job to kill two sage grouse each day. And he did, killed 2 sage grouse everyday for years,, for his family and the neighbor widow; hand caught in sheep fence, or a piece of sagebrush stick. Or getting paid to pick up the ducks geese and swans killed by the market hunters.

My father in law put together his life story and my wife wrote a 387 page book from his recordings. Killing black-bears in Yellowstone Lodge, sometimes with a .22 pistol sometimes a rifle,.. but once with a ball peen hammer. Or put on a horse when a small boy and sent home mid afternoon. Ending up in the barn Early AM, 20 miles from home,.. horse took him to its original owners farm,.

2018 was Andrews his first year hunting. First limit of geese, first banded geese, first pheasant, first ducks, first deer, first coyote . Archery hunted elk one day 2018. Muzzle loader season we never got a shot, but were in on the herd of over 350 a couple times. This year cow elk bumping his arrow off its rest, bugling bulls all around, cow walking just yards away .

This last season too much will soon be forgotten. Each hunt , each day was often an incredible adventure or simple experience than most will never know.

Pictures and camera help but guys we already forgot too much of what happened last fall. Write it down
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Maybe a future treasure

Postby Swede » 04 05, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Having something to pass on to my children, and even more my grandchildren loomed large in my inspiration for writing and publishing the tree stand hunting book. I knew if it was just notes or even stored on a computer file/software it would be lost soon after I am gone. I don't know which grandkids or even if any will carry on the tradition, but they can see some of the things I experienced through my eyes by sitting down and reading the book.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Maybe a future treasure

Postby 7mmfan » 04 05, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I started the process of putting all my hunting stories into written form this winter. You are right, it's humbling to realize how many small details are so easily forgotten. I started with the first hunt I remember going on with my Dad and moved up in chronological order. I have bullet point notes of every hunt I remember going on, which I'm hoping is all of them. There are numerous bird hunts that aren't in there, that I should work on next. I too hope that in a few years when my son is old enough to read and be interested in hunting/fishing he will be able to go through my hunt journal and read some of the trials and tribulations that I had gone through.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan