Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

he's growing up

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

he's growing up

Postby Billy Goat » 06 14, 2020 •  [Post 1]

no, not a particular elk. I mean my 16 YO.

I was doing a little bow practice today while grilling chicken by the shop. Boy cruised by and I asked if he thought he could shoot my bow.

indeed, he can just fine. it's a different muscle group, but I only shoot a 60# bow.

he has a similar build and draw length. Shot it just fine once he figured out the bow a bit.

gonna have to work on that form.

they grow up so danged fast.
Attachments
travis shooting my bow.jpg
travis shooting my bow.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Re: he's growing up

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Excellent!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 06 14, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Great pic,. Time for dad to get new bow

.One of my favorite photos my wife took pics on my grand daughter, daughter and me shooting in our Sunday clothes before church,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deanmac » 06 15, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Congrats on Dad and Son time.

My son turned 16 on the 5th of June, about a month ago he reached my height of 6' and weights about 180. Agree they grew up way to fast.
Deanmac

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Your son's form looks good. The draw length of the bow appears to be too long causing his arm to be too straight and he is leaning back. I would get him the new bow if that one fits you and go an inch shorter. Anyway congratulations for supporting his interest in shooting. You will make a great team.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 06 15, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Your son's form looks good. The draw length of the bow appears to be too long causing his arm to be too straight and he is leaning back. I would get him the new bow if that one fits you and go an inch shorter. Anyway congratulations for supporting his interest in shooting. You will make a great team.

I have not "measured" him to see what an appropriate draw length is, but will do so soon.

he's just a hair (literally....) taller than me. draw length will be comparable, but not exact, most likely. he's far less fleshed out (both fat and muscle) than I am. that'll catch up too...
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat