Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How many arrows to take?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How many arrows to take?

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 21, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Need some expert advice. I am planning on venturing into the elk woods shortly and want some advice from the group. How many arrows do you guys usually put in the quiver for the day? I was thinking three broadheads and maybe a grouse arrow or two. Thanks!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: How many arrows to take?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Jeff, are you out there to elk hunt or grouse hunt? :D I've went through a few arrow quantity/quiver configs over the years. Many moons ago, I would carry four broadheads and one judo point (the judo point for mid day stump shooting or grouse). I would do quite a bit of stump shooting but can't remember wanting to pack a dead grouse around all day so didn't really shoot many of those. More recently (for the past 4-5ish years), I carry four broadheads and one Poison Arrow, pretty cow face decoy on my fifth arrow. That little jewel has assisted with shots on a few elk. Those aren't made anymore unfortunately. This year, I'll probably go with the four broadheads and the PA decoy again. Sorry, back to your question ;). Shots on elk (or any other big game critter) are few and far between and obviously, one should only take quality, high percentage shots. I can't remember ever shooting more than two broadheads in a given day/hunt (that would include a second arrow into an elk if possible, or, a second shot after a rare miss or deflection). Four broadheads and a grouse arrow/judo point is a great config in my opinion.... and, if you wish, just carry one extra broadhead in a container in your pack in case you really need to swap out the judo point on that fifth arrow. Best of luck to you this hunting season mister! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 21, 2020 •  [Post 3]

My quiver hold five arrows. They all have broadheads. I don't shoot stumps or grouse or anything but elk. This season I have a cougar tag and a bear tag, but doubt I will shoot one. I rarely see a cougar and don't care to take a bear.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 21, 2020 •  [Post 4]

My quiver holds 4 ,..

I lost the quiver that held 5 :oops:
But Im not an expert in the area of how many arrows . Ive shot the same arrow at one grouse maybe 5 times.
shoot, miss, retrieve arrow
shoot, miss, retrieve arrow .
And there was the time "a friend" lost an arrow, then sent three consecutive arrows over a mature bulls back the last arrow at 22 yards, :o :oops:

Unlike Swede, Ill shoot a wolf, cougar or bear,... maybe even a deer
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 22, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I carry 4 broadheads and 1 "bird arrow" ... I keep a couple arrows and broadheads at the pickup just in case something goes wrong
Elkhunttoo

Postby ishy » 08 26, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Too many. Buddies kid pinned a hen grouse with an arrow one time and the she flapped a bunch and every male in the county showed up. He emptied his quiver- and even shot a couple arrows more than once. It was quite the circus for 15-20 minutes.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 26, 2020 •  [Post 7]

ishy wrote:Too many. Buddies kid pinned a hen grouse with an arrow one time and the she flapped a bunch and every male in the county showed up. He emptied his quiver- and even shot a couple arrows more than once. It was quite the circus for 15-20 minutes.

:lol: Excellent!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ