Postby Lefty » 06 18, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Sad deal!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Bear kills AZ man in his yard

Postby wawhitey » 06 19, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Jhg wrote:Dang. I have always thought we disregard blackies potential for attack

A lot of people do. Thats not to say that theyre something we should be afraid of, but we should still recognize the potential there, and respect them. I dont go in the woods without a gun. Bears being one of several reasons. Ive had a few sketchy encounters with bears over the years. Most ended up okay. 2 went poorly for the bears.

Most fatal black bear attacks are predatory, male bears. The sow with cubs thing is overblown imo. Ive had several sow/ cub close encounters, one where i was right between mama and her babies. Havent ever had to shoot in that situation, but ive had my hammer cocked every time. The mama bears have always been quite understanding. They just want to get their cubs away from me it seems. I tend to be a bit more cautious about the big boars.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Bear kills AZ man in his yard

Postby Tigger » 06 20, 2023 •  [Post 5]

A good friend was in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and pulled up to a campsite. Mama bear came out and huffed at them and they backed off. this happened a few times and when she was gone they went back. She kinda charged them and they couldnt figure out why she was so worked up until a pine cone fell on the picnic table. There was a cub up a tree in the campsite. So instead of them thinking she was aggressive, they thought she was pretty mild mannered considering they had trapper her cub.
Tigger