Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Anybody know bird calls?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Anybody know bird calls?

Postby wawhitey » 07 15, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Since it got dark theres been some sort of bird in my woods making a high pitched squeak kind of call about every 5 or 6 seconds, like clockwork. No idea what it is. Wish i could figure out how to record sounds on my phone and post here... i know somehow this phone can record sounds. Cant find a microphone icon anywhere
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Anybody know bird calls?

Postby six » 07 16, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I've been using this app for a couple weeks now. My guess is it could be a screech owl. I really like the app.

FYI bird watching is how you know your getting old.
Screenshot_20230716_082632_One UI Home_resize_24.jpg
Screenshot_20230716_082632_One UI Home_resize_24.jpg (400.5 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 07 18, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Cool app. Now I need to find out that strange jungle sounding bird is at elk camp!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 07 21, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Lefty wrote:Cool app. Now I need to find out that strange jungle sounding bird is at elk camp!

Im probably reaching here, trying to speculate based off of your very vague description, but as soon as i read that i thought of the weird call that some hawks will make, sounds like the classic jungle movie bird / monkey noises. Weird laughing clown noise. Not what i would expect from a hawk. A few years ago i was out hiking and a hawk was chasing a squirrel all over, relentless, right in front if me, and hed periodically stop and perch and make those crazy laughing clown monkey jungle calls. Really surprised me. Not sure what kind of hawk he was.
And the last couple years ive had a breeding pair of sharp shinned hawks or coopers hawks, not sure which, doing theur thing on my property. And by doing their thing, i mean repeatedly breeding on a log right in front of a trail camera that i have set on video mode. Over and over. While they were doing the deed, one of them was making hilarious baby mewling noises, then the male would finish, get off the female, perch next to her, and the female would turn her head and look at him and do a very human laugh. HAHAHHAHAHA. no joke. Poor guy.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey