Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Are white tail hunters better?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Are white tail hunters better?

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2023 •  [Post 1]

https://www.themeateater.com/wired-to-hunt/whitetail-hunting/why-whitetail-hunters-are-more-skilled-than-western-hunters

At the beginning of September I spoke with a younger fellow okay mid-thirties,
From upper Michigan
He voiced many of the points used in the article that Eastern whitetail archers are much better All around hunter.

What do you say and think.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Are white tail hunters better?

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I think the author of the article makes some good observations even though eastern Whitetail hunting and western elk hunting is comparing apples to oranges. I think he is right on with the following:
Finding a balance between looking and waiting during western hunts (and a lot of whitetail hunts) is key. My Western buddies are good at looking, and absolutely terrible at waiting. A good whitetail hunter is going to be tuned into this reality out of sheer necessity and experience, but a western hunter might not be because things have changed in that world. This is another reason whitetail hunters have an advantage.
On this forum I have said, many times that patience is not a virtue most elk hunters have enough of. They want run and gun, toot and shoot. It just does not work all that well most of the time. I have tried to share my observations where elk have come to my call location two full hours after I made one simple bugle. Even after killing five elk that came to my call location obviously looking for what they thought was an elk, some have expressed doubt. Elk that come in ten minutes after a call act the exact same way as one that waits for two hours. I will add that I have not observed elk coming to my call location much over two hours later.
Have patience. Whether on the ground or in a tree.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 10 10, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Not sure. As Swede says, apples and oranges. I do know that MN hunters are the best by far though.

I also know this, I have hunted out of a tree stand for 41 years. It is nice to have variety.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 10 13, 2023 •  [Post 4]

A couple of weeks back I visited with a real hardcore archer. Archery deer tags this year for deer in Texas, Nebraska, Kansas South Dakota, Michigan Wisconsin, Montana Idaho And New Mexico and Wyoming (rifle) for elk.
He grew up hunting the east. He made the comments about how western hunters ignore close-up hunting opportunities that are learned by hunting whitetails in the thick and nasty, and using scent reduction methods..

Fascinating guy.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H