Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Favorite hunting magazine?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 09, 2024 •  [Post 1]

Do you have a favorite?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Favorite hunting magazine?

Postby Swede » 03 10, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Over the years I have subscribed to a lot of different magazines. My favorite for years was "Bowhunter". I liked Dwight Schuh's writing and the articles of that darned veterinarian. I forget his name, but he was a great hunter and writer. I loved the articles by Chuck Adams, but he mostly wrote for the competition. Bowhunter magazine and other seemed to get a good mix of western hunting stories and did not wear me out reading about Whitetail deer. After Dwight Schuh retired, I got fed up with the magazine as it was well over 50% advertising. There are not enough hunting stories to keep my interest and I hate the articles telling me how great the latest bow or pair of binoculars are. I notice they carry their advertisements for that equipment, so I wonder just how objective they are. In other words, I do not subscribe to a hunting magazine anymore.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 03 11, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Bugle. Great stories. I will be in it this summer kinda. They are running an article about the youth day i organize.

i did have an article published in Bowhunting once. or maybe it was Bowhunter. i would have to go find it.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 03 11, 2024 •  [Post 4]

I honestly haven't looked at an actual magazine in years. My Dad gets the Bugle subscription as a member of RMEF, and he gives them to me when I'm done but I can't remember the last time I actually had time to sit down and browse through one.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 16, 2024 •  [Post 5]

Haven't looked at a hunting magazine in years. They used to be good but now are all about advertising.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 19, 2024 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Haven't looked at a hunting magazine in years. They used to be good but now are all about advertising.

They have always been about advertising.

I receive Bugle, DU, Trapper Post (lifetime Member 1983 ) Minnesota Trappers ( lifetime member 1983 ) and American Hunter (lifetime member1983) Eastmans hunting Journal off and on

I dont get them read and just cherry-pick the articles
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2024 •  [Post 7]

Magazines have always had advertisements. They help pay for the publication, but for a long time now they have had too much advertising. In addition, some magazines have run more and more product reviews on the things that are advertised in the magazine. Does anyone think a product review is really objective about those products? Anyone that wants a legal magazine has the right to buy whatever they can pay for. I also have the right to refuse to buy what I find to not be worth what the cost.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 21, 2024 •  [Post 8]

Fur Fish and Game used to be a good magazine. I'll still pick one up at the news stand every once in awhile.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 03 21, 2024 •  [Post 9]

Years ago, I enjoyed some great hunting articles by hunters like Dwight Schuh, Chuck Adams and Randy Ulmer. Their stories were several pages long and the way they wrote made me feel I was a silent/invisible guest going along on the hunt. Sometimes The weather was brutal. The elements were harsh and prowling Brown bears were more than a menace. The hunts took stamina and determination. After the quarry was spotted there was great suspense. One story I read even talked about how the author killed a bull moose that was a little too small and he ended his hunt by turning himself in to the game wardens. The articles were honest and refreshing. I looked forward to those magazines.
Suddenly the articles were shorter, and the author ended his story by telling my what kind of clothes he wore and what brand of binoculars he was using. I do not care if he uses a Hoyt bow or a PSE. Unless it is really Germain to the story, I don't care how high his trophy scored. I want to hear about the hunt. I want to experience the laughter around the campfire. I want to suffer with you through driving rain or the exhausting heat of the desert sun. I want to accompany you through days of futility and persevere until we get that one great opportunity to meticulously sneak in on that bedded bull. In the end, I will gladly walk back to camp with you as the sun sets on the final day of our hunt. We can talk about the whole hunt in camp. We will discuss how that unseen cow stepped out from behind the trees and then barked just before you could draw your bow.
Heck. Before I fall asleep, we can even speculate how much help that new camo you overpaid for worked. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 21, 2024 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Fur Fish and Game used to be a good magazine. I'll still pick one up at the news stand every once in awhile.

My brother and I bought an old trapper, stack of FFG . The Hardins found out we had the whole gambit from the first printing until the late 60's: except the cover of an early magazine they were willing to pay big bucks for.

Ive read a lot of FFG :D
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 03 21, 2024 •  [Post 11]

But Swede, did you read my article?????
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 22, 2024 •  [Post 12]

Great write up Swede.