Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

March 2024 WapitiTalk Photo of the Month vote-Winner!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Vote for your favorite MAR 24 WT Photo of the Month

25%
13%
38%
25%

View results

March 2024 WapitiTalk Photo of the Month vote-Winner!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 02, 2024 •  [Post 1]

OK, time to vote. Here are the photos for March 2024. The theme for this month was “That is a tasty burger” meaning camp chow. Please feel free to refer to the original contest thread for author explanations of these awesome photos (where they came from, what they are about, etc.). Please only vote for one photo. Thanks to all for submitting your photos, and, for taking a minute to vote.

#2 7mmfan MAR 24.jpg
#2 7mmfan MAR 24.jpg (117.37 KiB) Viewed 171 times
#3 IS MAR 24.jpg
#3 IS MAR 24.jpg (163.12 KiB) Viewed 171 times
#4 Lefty MAR 24.jpg
#4 Lefty MAR 24.jpg (183.12 KiB) Viewed 171 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: March 2024 WapitiTalk Photo of the Month – Time to vote!

Postby Lefty » 04 02, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Hm
I followed the rules

, nobody should be turning loin into burger :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tom Grates » 04 12, 2024 •  [Post 3]

How does anyone have time to cook elk hunting? Gotta vote for the freeze dried meal!
Tom Grates

Postby Indian Summer » 04 12, 2024 •  [Post 4]

Tom Grates wrote:How does anyone have time to cook elk hunting? Gotta vote for the freeze dried meal!

Thanks Tom. It’s not much of a picture I guess but it’s reality. Dehydrated food with a background of dirt. Lol. I have fallen asleep before those things were ready to eat. I don’t even know what camp looks like in the daylight other than remembering setting it up. I’m certainly not gonna last long enough to preheat an oven or wash dishes.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 5]

I like your picture, Joe. When I first saw it, I thought it was a joke. I mistook it for a sack of rocks until I saw the dried carrots. It does not look very appetizing, but I see the point. It will keep body and soul together.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 04 22, 2024 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I like your picture, Joe. When I first saw it, I thought it was a joke. I mistook it for a sack of rocks until I saw the dried carrots. It does not look very appetizing, but I see the point. It will keep body and soul together.

Chicken aka king Swede. It’s good! I also like the beef stew, beef, stroganoff, spaghetti with meat sauce, and some others. Have you ever tried a Mountain House meal? Peak Refuel is good too. I guess a lot of people might not consider our style of elk hunting fun. But killing elk is fun and it pays off. We run into town twice per hunt for a real meal and a beer and a little live music. But other than that it’s pedal to the metal.

The rest of the year I’m a gourmet chef.
Attachments
IMG_4819.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2024 •  [Post 7]

I eat a Mountain House or other dried meal every once in a while. I have some on standby every season just in case, but they are a last resort. My brother who camps with me is no hunter, but he is a great cook. He gets half of any game I get, and we share all of the expenses. It really works out well for me and he likes the camp out. There is nothing like coming into camp at dark and having a fresh hot meal just about ready.
I agree with you take on hunting. In that we are alike. I just do not need to go to town during the season. A tree stand is a grind going 10 -12 hours per day after about three weeks. I do not call tree stand hunting "fun". It is deadly on elk if you are patient and persevere. I get to the fun part when I have finished packing out and get rested.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 04 23, 2024 •  [Post 8]

A non-Hunter to Cook in camp would be awesome. I would gladly pay for all kinds of great food. If there was someone there to prepare it. Stand hunting is definitely a grind. It’s harder than ground hunting in my opinion. You would be surprised how close town is to my camp
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2024 •  [Post 9]

I know I am straying from the food subject here, but you would be amazed at how close I camp and hang my tree stands to a major recreation site. I can hear people playing, dogs barking, trucks and motorcycles etc. The elk don't seem to mind, and the people have no idea I am nearby sitting in my tree just waiting. I have killed quite a few elk there and no elk has ever run towards the recreation site. It appears they know better it.
Swede

Re: March 2024 WapitiTalk Photo of the Month vote-Winner!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 24, 2024 •  [Post 10]

IS won this one guys, I’ll get some kind of goodie sent this way. Congrats mister 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 04 25, 2024 •  [Post 11]

Congratulations Joe. I am amazed at what you have taken pictures of.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2024 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:Congratulations Joe. I am amazed at what you have taken pictures of.

And no kids or dogs in the picture!!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 04 25, 2024 •  [Post 13]

Congratulations IS!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 04 25, 2024 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Congratulations Joe. I am amazed at what you have taken pictures of.

A picture like that probably means I’m in solitary confinement in spike camp. Here’s the bottom of the bag! Those words are why we eat those meals. lol Thanks guys. I didn’t even vote this month. Rory I’ll take a rain check on dinner if I ever make it up that way.
Attachments
IMG_0478.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2024 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote:

A picture like that probably means I’m in solitary confinement in spike camp. Here’s the bottom of the bag! Those words are why we eat those meals. lol Thanks guys. I didn’t even vote this month. Rory I’ll take a rain check on dinner if I ever make it up that way.

Deal, not sure if I have a sponsor promo prize in my arsenal that you don’t already have.
WapitiTalk1