Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Yellowstone Back Country Passes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Yellowstone Back Country Passes

Postby Deanmac » 04 05, 2024 •  [Post 1]

I know this is not Elk hunting but excited to be heading out west.

My Son and I got Slough Creek, the third meadow, in mid-July for three nights.
Blechler River meadows for two nights will backpack into both sites and fish.
We will hit the Lamar River and the headwaters of the Falls River between the two-pack trips.
Deanmac

Re: Yellowstone Back Country Passes

Postby Lefty » 04 06, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Congratulation!!!

Should be a great trip. My wife and I have portaged in Shoshone Lake, good fishing for smaller Lakers.
Beckler shouldn't see much traffic but be prepared for incredible mosquito hatches. One year my wife and I were the very first headed up Beckler,,,, the last week in June.
Most people do not realize the backcountry is,,,, well backcountry. You might run across an adventure group, church group, Boy Scouts
People are lazy. Once away from the boardwalks and certain trailheads your on your own

Often too tough dealing with Yellowstone backcountry permits.

In 88 my wife and her dad were " left" on the south thumb of Yellowstone.
Someone in charge commented they would be safe with a boat. They were the last civilians by two days to leave the park
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deanmac » 04 08, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the reply Lefty:

A friend of mine lived in MT for 20 years and his son worked two summers in Bechler. They said it was the hidden gem of Yellowstone and he warned me big time about the bugs and go prepared to deal with them. We hope toward the end of July it will be a little better. LOL Also, he said, Bechler gets way less fishing pressure, they had 100 plus fish days and caught some over 20". Most of the people going into that area are through hiking or going to the waterfalls.

Backcountry passes: We applied for the early lottery and got the first day, Lottery runs from April 1 to April 24, after that it is open to the public. I looked last night, and Slough is pretty much booked up for the season. We got our #1 choice of site #4 at the beginning of the 3rd meadow on the river and our first choice of dates. A friend from Chicago has been going for years and he coached me up on the lottery, sites and dates to go. You are only allowed 3 nights in the Slough backcountry and there are only 7 sites and two of those are for people with livestock (outfitters).

Probably will be my only opportunity to go into Slough creek!
Deanmac

Postby Lefty » 04 10, 2024 •  [Post 4]

Deanmac wrote: They said it was the hidden gem of Yellowstone
Of the West not just Yellowstone.
Maybe that sad part about reservations,,, all too often people do not show at their reservation site.

I walked to the cabin at Winiger Ran into the head Ranger from Beckler. He was kind of joking around but he wasn't a big stickler for the all of the regulations,,, He told me many of the sites are seldom used
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deanmac » 04 11, 2024 •  [Post 5]

Lefty wrote:
Deanmac wrote: They said it was the hidden gem of Yellowstone
Of the West not just Yellowstone.
Maybe that sad part about reservations,,, all too often people do not show at their reservation site.

I walked to the cabin at Winiger Ran into the head Ranger from Beckler. He was kind of joking around but he wasn't a big stickler for the all of the regulations,,, He told me many of the sites are seldom used

My friend said the bugs were the worst there of anyplace, he had ever been, I guess he has never been to Alaska in summer! LOL
We will go prepared for the bugs but might leave after one day.
Deanmac