Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

i'm back. new take on Trekking poles.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

i'm back. new take on Trekking poles.

Postby pointysticks » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

just did a 50 mile backpack trip. brutal, but quite possibly my funnest outing ever. there were four of us.

all but one had trekking poles. they guy that didnt CARRIED his fishing poles the entire loop. yuck.

trekking poles while carrying a pack are a WIN! on the downhills you can lead with the poles, and be very stable. i lost count on how many logs we had to cross as bridges over rushing water. the poles inspire confidence bigtime. uphill? i went x-country ski style and pushed my fat ass up. it was awesome.

my fingers typically swell a tad and get stiff..this time none at all. i even felt the twinge of soreness in my triceps. oh, six rattlesnakes of various sizes from pencil to 4 footers were moved off the trail safely.

not so sure i would use them hunting, but telescoping them short to pull them out on the heavy meat hike out is a big possibility.

we crushed some big hikes. we were the first to attack a high distant trout pond. the winter obliterated the trail, and we cross country most of it. i like trekking pole. we met some thru hikers on the Pacific Crest trail, and they ALL used them. six months of hiking from mexico to canada. insane. i asked, they eat 5000+ calories a day.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: i'm back. new take on Trekking poles.

Postby pointysticks » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

camp #1!
Attachments
P1000442_2.JPG
P1000442_2.JPG (165.84 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
pointysticks

Postby bnsafe » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

that looks awesome. congrats on your trip and glad ur back.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby elkmtngear » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Cliff, glad to hear you were able to reap the benefit of trekking poles; I notice I do not feel near as beat up as I used to after a long day on the mountain since I started using them.

As far as hunting with a single pole goes for me, it has basically become an extension of my body. I can navigate blowdowns much easier, pick my way through the timber much more efficiently and quietly, and make a much more silent approach on a steep downhill scree slope if needed.

The fact that it is an elk decoy as well is an added bonus, and I can deploy it quickly, like a weapon when needed.

I realize hunting with a trekking pole is not for everyone, but most of our Customers find after they get used to it, that they will never hunt without it. Remember, it just takes one bad slip to totally screw your Season, and having that "3rd leg" can certainly help spare your joints at times.

Sounds like a pretty cool adventure!

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Vanish » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Guess who had his trekking poles in the car topper while packing out meat last year, and forgot all about them? Damn ... :D

I can absolutely feel the difference when hiking with a pack. Without one, or just a small one, I feel they slow me down, but with a heavy pack I definitely move faster with the trekking poles.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby eltaco » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Anyone tried the Easton poles?
eltaco

Postby Indian Summer » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

No Taco I haven't but I'm a fan of poles too. Even just one makes a big difference. In gun it doubles as a shooting stick. getting my fat ass up the hill is the number one purpose. Wanna give your legs a break? Pass a good % of the weight off on your arms right! If you've never tried it you'd never completely get it. Coming downhill with a dead elk on your back the benefits are pretty self explanatory.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pointysticks » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

we had three types of poles.

mine were alum REI brand poles. my bro wielded alum black diamonds..and a friend had alum kelty ones with a bouncy shock absorber. they all work the same. you want solid locks that dont slip. ever. and if you worry about weight, then factor that in. carbon fiber ones are costly. i really didnt care about the weight that much. they were in constant use. for hunting, where they would spend some pack time, i can see the benefits of lightweight.

i bet dollars to donuts EASTON makes most of the other brands too. my brothers look just like mine.
pointysticks

Postby Indian Summer » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Just bought a set of Easton poles from Camofire. Since Camofire became a sponsor I've been there every morning and I have to say if you are in the market for gear you should sign up for the daily notification if you haven't.

Can't wait to get the poles... hoping the lock mechanism is solid. I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Ok I got the poles. They are Easton CTR 80 model. I sure didn't expect them to be this nice. The locking mechanisms are adjustable so you can really crank them down and the pole length will NOT slip. They are carbon so very light. Below the grips there is an 8 inch section of foam for gripping on the uphill without changing the length. Also.. which wasn't in the description, is a gel cushion or anti vibration inside the handles so they squeeze up and down about a half inch under heavy pressure. I haven't actually had them out yet but my first impression is very good. Never knew a set of poles could be so nice.

Thanks Camofire!
Indian Summer