Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting an elk mountain.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting an elk mountain.

Postby Lefty » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

:o Boy Scouts of America !!
The 26- 29there was a BSA Encampment celebrating the 100 year Anniversary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints with the Scouting program. I was able to attend all 4 days and was something the boys will remember for the rest of their lives.

As soon as I got out of my pickup I noticed elk tracks in the wheat and plenty of elk droppings in our campsite. In fact I covered a couple piles of droppings with a carpet right out my tent door. I thought what an interesting place for so much elk sign. A lava flow squeezed between the Snake River and I-15.
The landowner of the over 300 acres site spoke on Thursday. He mentioned how dirt was hauled in last fall to create the bowl overlooking the theater. Then planted in seed. What I found most interesting. The landowner stated how the new fresh "grass mountain" had been maintained by the local elk herd, T he decision was made to let the elk keep the grass short and mowing wesnt required. That is one big elk food plot on the little “elk mountain”
The picture doesnt do the site justice. most of the crowd was in the bowl and cant be seen , there should be about 11,000 boys and leaders in that pic.
The grren hill in the background seemed to be what the elk really wanted

IMG_1173 (Small).JPG
IMG_1173 (Small).JPG (55.73 KiB) Viewed 947 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H