Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Park, Meadow, ??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Park, Meadow, ??

Postby Breeze » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Can someone help me with the definition(s) of what makes a 'park', and what makes a 'meadow'? Thanks.
Breeze

Re: Park, Meadow, ??

Postby POk3s » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Ummmmm well not much really. In my own personal vocabulary I use "meadow: as in a smaller break in the trees, maybe hidden from any vantage point unless you walk right up in it. It's usually mostly grass shrubbery. Where as when I say "park it's a big open area. Usually a lot of sagebrush.

I THINK these are how MOST people use them. Again, this is just my own personal verbiage.
POk3s

Postby easeup » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

pretty much the same here. A park is usually a very very large meadow, like several hundred yards or more across.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

My interpretation of a park versus a meadow is similar to what POk3s and bnsafe mentioned. A park in the elk woods to me is a semi to significantly open area, where one can see up to a hundred yards or more through well established pines (borderline old growth) and where the brush is not over a few feet to three feet tall but said brush is sporadic in it's concentrations. There are openings/meadows in these areas that may not be large but ample enough to contain some pretty nutrient rich grasses. It's the kind of area that you and your hunting buddy stop on the border of and one of you say, "this is like a dang park". Meadows themselves, on the other hand, are just that.. Meadows, by definition are where you find them, perhaps not in a parky area. Photos below are what I consider a meadow (standing by itself) and a parky area. Stand alone meadow in first picture and parky area with intersecting meadows in the second.
Meadow.jpg
Meadow.jpg (195.92 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

Parky area with meadows.jpg
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JimKirk » 07 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

phantom thats a volcano right there!
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby GetemDuck » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

A park generally has a play ground with kids running around :D Sorry i grew up in the hills, we got clearings, fields and right-a-ways that pretty much cover none wooded areas........hmmmmmm maybe thats why i have elk issues :lol:
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

They are one in the same. No real difference, some parks are big & some small, same as meadows.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

JimKirk wrote:phantom thats a volcano right there!

Now I know what that rumbling was coming from that big mountain :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby pointysticks » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 9]

GetemDuck wrote:A park generally has a play ground with kids running around :D Sorry i grew up in the hills, we got clearings, fields and right-a-ways that pretty much cover none wooded areas........hmmmmmm maybe thats why i have elk issues :lol:

hahahha..i was gonna say a "park" is easily distinguishable with the big swing set in the middle.

i call all openings in the woods "meadows". but i live in a city, so my opinion is tainted with a big dose of "city folk".
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l