Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Big Sky State Bear ID Test

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Big Sky State Bear ID Test

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Triplebhunters mentioned on freebird134's thread that he and his wife take the bear exams for ID and MT. They're not as easy as you would think. After all, how can you mistake a grizzly for a black bear? You'd be surprised. Give it a shot without launching the tutorial and see what you get for a score. I think it takes 80% to pass. After you've taken the test, I would recommend you go back through the tutorial. It's very enlightening.

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/

Well, how did you do? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Big Sky State Bear ID Test

Postby Lefty » 07 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Ive used the test for years with students.
At one time many the questions were were poorly written, I just took the test, (100%) The test questioning is still poorly written.

This is a large Montana bear. Take your time to identify this bear and remember, don't shoot unless you are absolutely sure it is not a grizzly bear. Is this a black bear?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I took the test a while back just to see how I would do. I ended up with an 88% I think...something like that.
But I am not used to judging bears or hunting them and I found it difficult at times picking out the features the tell you to look for. Mainly the ears.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby no limits » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

the biggest thing I found wrong with the test is that you can keep taking it til you pass it no limit. so after a while I'm sure people just start guessing until they pass it. I really seen no purpose in the test.
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby dapper » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I took it and did great. 100% To bad I didn't do that well in school. Probably because I spent more time hunting bears than studying.

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring