Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Conditioning - I'm ready

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Conditioning - I'm ready

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Love this point in my conditioning! No more leg burn and my lungs don't feel like they are about to burst. Now, I just keep going until my body hits a wall and screams "No Mas". Who else is at this point?
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Conditioning - I'm ready

Postby pointysticks » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

you're gonna just go ahead and make me jinx myself, arent you?

i typically dont talk about my conditioning..i hope for the best, and pray it comes to fruition. i mentally downplay it. just the way i am..i grew up fat.

BUT..yesterday was pretty epic. i've been mountain biking like a man possessed. i ride in this open area, steep, long. i go thru a gate, ride the loop and end up at that same gate. i did what i call, "gate to gate", yesterday. i did the loop without stopping. not once did my lungs burn, or my legs beg for mercy. i was tired the entire time in the climb, but it never blew up. i never hit the wall...i just crested over the top, switched gears..and blasted downhill..to the GATE!!

i learned to keep my jogging and heavy hiking to a minimum. i do fun backpack trips for enjoyment and camouflaged fitness training. i try to minimize "knee mileage"..i have sore knees and sore ankles. i save them for hunts :)

i bought most of my years backpacking meals today. i am really really getting ready!! my first outing, my brother wont be with me. he is a fitness junkie. he is also my litmus test on how far i've come. if i keep up or pass him..i know i am getting good :)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby LckyTylr » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'm happy for you guys.

I slept through my "workout alarm" again this morning. :?

Things aren't going so well for my fitness routine.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

LckyTylr,

I'm in kinda the same boat as you, not going fantastic on my end. I'm slammed at work, which means going in about 530 every morning, and working til about 6 each night, with a 45 minute commute each way, and once I get home, I have a 21/2 year old boy that wants to play, and a 1 month old little girl that I try and spend as much time with as possible. I'm still hitting it like 3 times a week, about 2 miles with 50# in my pack, then sprints, all with a respirator on, (elevation training, I hope :roll: ), but I dont know if its going to be good enough. I stay in pretty good shape anyways, but, being from Kansas, about 800' elevation, with no really big hills, its hard to train for what I am in for. I'm hoping piss and vinegar are enough.

I am proud of all of you guys that find the time to get in exceptional "Elk Shape"!!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby Lefty » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

After hip replacement the end of May and rotator cuff surgury in Febuary I am way out of shape. My Doc says walk as much as I can.
I have been getting 11,000-16,000 steps on a good day.
I see season coming fast, My scouting trip last week wiped me out for three days and I figure I walked 6 miles on flat ground, Im in the worst phyical shape of my life :cry:
Last year I was doing a few hikes a week, 2,000- 3000 feet of elevation down, then up , 4-8 miles on the hike :cry:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Lefty wrote:After hip replacement the end of May and rotator cuff surgury in Febuary I am way out of shape. My Doc says walk as much as I can.
I have been getting 11,000-16,000 steps on a good day.
I see season coming fast, My scouting trip last week wiped me out for three days and I figure I walked 6 miles on flat ground, Im in the worst phyical shape of my life :cry:
Last year I was doing a few hikes a week, 2,000- 3000 feet of elevation down, then up , 4-8 miles on the hike :cry:

man, i wouldnt even push it. this is LIFE. get better and do it slowly.

hips and shoulders? dang. good luck bud.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l