Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling bears.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling bears.

Postby Moose Man » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've read up on the subject, studied videos (Wayne Carltons DVD etc) and some random forums/articles but wanted to see if anyone here has any bear calling experience. I'm not talking about random bears coming to cow calls etc but calling targeting bears. The ideal scenario is obviously to spot/call but I'm particularly interested in cold calling setups. I have some areas that don't allow me to glass, heavy timber/brush so I'd need to set up and hope for the best. Anyone had success with this approach?

I'd limit the calling to areas where I've seen recent sign/activity. My approach would be to find a decently open area that provides shooting lanes, hang a stand and give it a go.

Thanks in advance
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Re: Calling bears.

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'm interested in responses on this also.
I do believe most bear taken out west are over gut piles or baited where legal.
I talked to a guy last year that set up over his gut pile and took one.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby mtnmutt » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

A few years ago while talking to an old bear bowhunter here in CO, he mentioned that a bear could come to the sound of a dying rabbit. I think you will also risk calling in other types of animals if you use that sound. His preferred method was to kill his elk first and sit over the gut pile.
mtnmutt

Postby elkmtngear » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've tried predator calling them several times with no luck. But I have talked to other hunters that do it successfully on a regular basis.

I watched a video clip from Alaska that was pretty impressive with a big sow blackie. They were making a "cub in distress" sound, and he called the sow into point blank range.

Here's another vid that is pretty impressive:

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Moose-head » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I just found a show on direct tv called 'the bear whisperer' the guy is pretty macho and over the top, but i guess that that comes with the territory of being a bear hunting tv host. I have only seen a couple of episodes, and I started recording it and hope to learn about calling, he called some bears in on the first episode that I watched.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Moose Man » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Bummer, I don't have direct TV but I've heard of the show. Will look into it. The Wayne Carlton bear calling DVD is pretty good, both instructional and some examples. Here is a different video with some calling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP_h2RiFVzM

Mtnmutt - yes, technically any predator (coyotes, lions, bobcats etc) can come to distress calls.

Moose-head wrote:I just found a show on direct tv called 'the bear whisperer' the guy is pretty macho and over the top, but i guess that that comes with the territory of being a bear hunting tv host. I have only seen a couple of episodes, and I started recording it and hope to learn about calling, he called some bears in on the first episode that I watched.
Moose Man

First Name: Erik