Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

freaking out as well!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

freaking out as well!!

Postby pointysticks » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

i had to send my sight guard back to spot hogg for some work. the sight bubble water went clear, rendering it useless in some light conditions. they promised a quick turnaround. they got it, and fixed it fast..they sent it back the same day they got it. pretty happy about it.

got it back and used my notes and "dots" i made on paper to get the sight back to where i had it before. shot a few shots, and was feeling really good about it..but, the sight felt tilted. i checked the bubble to my carpenter level and yup, 2nd axis was off. i turned the adjust screw and it just stripped out. the threads failed and the entire screw came out with my allen. it is the inside of the sight!! argh!

i called TINA, and she remembered me. she gave me a quick RA# and told me to get it to them asap. more warranty work! they are fast. i bet they need to replace the part. i cant see them drilling it out and retapping it.

i am trying to get back up the mountain, now that i am feeling better. grrrr...

when it rains it pours. this time i will need to redo the sighting in. 1st, 2nd..and 3rd axis. BUMMER!

that sight is seven years old and has never failed me. i guess it was time. how is everyone elses equipment holding up? this fall hunting season is starting off wacky. hehe.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: freaking out as well!!

Postby pointysticks » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

oh TINA at spot hogg has an amazing phone voice. very sultry.
pointysticks

Postby FemoralArchery » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Not that good really.

I seem to have a bad bottle of glue or something because all the sudden I can't get my fletches to stay on for anything.

Then I noticed a complete failure of the serving on the end of one of my cables.

Only 8 days til go time...
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby pointysticks » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

FemoralArchery wrote:Not that good really.

I seem to have a bad bottle of glue or something because all the sudden I can't get my fletches to stay on for anything.

Then I noticed a complete failure of the serving on the end of one of my cables.

Yikes. I have more time. Good luck.
pointysticks

Postby no limits » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

not going to jinx myself, so I'm not saying a thing good or bad!
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Adam, that sucks! Acetone the arrows, use a Q tip to acetone the vanes, use fletchtite platinum....that's always worked for me.

The serving issue is more troublesome. I HATE having to take strings and cables off my Hoyt and re-tuning. It takes me a week of fiddling with the draw board, press, and target every time to get it back where I want it.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Let me guess....Blazer vanes and carbon shafts?
Bullnuts

Postby mtnmutt » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

FastSet Gel (glue) As long as I use the correct amount, my helix set blazers stayed on. I use drop away rest now, however, it worked very well with my old whisker biscuit. Other glue did not work for me.
mtnmutt

Postby FemoralArchery » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Bullnuts wrote:Let me guess....Blazer vanes and carbon shafts?

Yessir.

I'm not too worried yet. This bow tuned in pretty easily the first time. I've been screwing around with different arrow weights and whatnot and finally decided on one I liked and then the fletching thing happened. Then I noticed the string...

Better now than during the season I guess.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!
FemoralArchery

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I had some issues with Blazers last year and this year as well, and I called Bohning about it. I'm not sure if they're still using that anti-stick stuff to keep their vanes from sticking to the jigs when they cut them, but that was a big problem back a few years ago when 4" vanes were the rage. Bohning sent me two new boxes of vanes and a bottle of Fletchtite Premium for my trouble. The new vanes still weren't sticking, so I bought some Gold Tip glue and that stuff works great! I had to leave the vanes in the jig a bit longer to allow the glue to set up - about 30 seconds per vane - but that did the trick and my vanes aren't flying off at the shot anymore. Also, I tried Vanetec vanes and Arizona vanes, and they stuck really well on my shafts so I'm thinking there might be a longer curing time needed with the Blazers.
Bullnuts

Postby Fryman » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I use Goat Tuff glue. It's kind of like a super glue but stronger. I've never had a vane come off.
Fryman

First Name: Kyle
Last Name: Fry

Postby Fryman » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I use Goat Tuff glue. It's kind of like a super glue but stronger. I've never had a vane come off.
Fryman

First Name: Kyle
Last Name: Fry

Postby Bullnuts » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I used Goat Tuff for a few years and liked it. Switched to Gold Tip Tip Grip and like it too. I think they are pretty much the same.
Bullnuts

Postby Bullnuts » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Final countdown to the season and my son's DXT has a serving separation on the bottom cam and a broken strand. Geez. I called my guy Mike Piechocki at Captain's Best and he'll have a new set on its way here this morning. With the mail gods looking down, I hope to see the set by Wed, get it on and tuned Wed night, shoot broadheads Thursday and Friday, and be ready to kill something Saturday morning. It's always something!
Bullnuts

Postby cnelk » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Bullnuts
Yikes!
Check that bottom cam for any issues in the groove.
It may have gotten bumped and the edge bent over to cause that...?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 16]

my parts are on the way back to me. i marked everything on my bow as close as i could. resighting in, should be a short exercise.

i will have to redo all three axis adjustments. argh. i hate adjusting 3rd axis.
pointysticks

Postby Bullnuts » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 17]

cnelk wrote:Bullnuts
Yikes!
Check that bottom cam for any issues in the groove.
It may have gotten bumped and the edge bent over to cause that...?

Yep, checked the bottom cam over real good and can't find any burrs. The serving separates right at the point that the cam rolls over. I had a Vapor Trail string and cable on it and pulled the Zebra string out that came with the bow. It has wear in the same spot. Anybody else shooting a DXT having this problem?
Bullnuts

Postby FemoralArchery » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 18]

My PSE BM3G did the same thing. Right where the cable breaks over on the cam, the serving started seperating. I've read that this is very common on single cams (I don't konw if yours is) because they are usually a very agressive cam.
FemoralArchery