Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

bear calling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

bear calling

Postby wawhitey » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

if you have successfully called in black bears, what kind of call did you use? ive got the next few weeks off, and my plan a and plan b elk spots have been jacked up by the timber company who owns them, so im going to focus on taking out a bear, as there are way too damned many in the area. so what have you successfully used? for now my plan is to go with fawn distress and fawn decoy, being as how the bear population in the area destroys the fawn population every year, i figure at least one of them will jump at the sound. any different ideas? i always welcome the voice of experience. thanks
wawhitey

Re: bear calling

Postby twinkieman » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

We usually get a visual, and knowing we are within earshot, just hammer away on your favorite predator call. I use my elk diaphrams to call with and they work just fine. last week in No. Cal., I was calling a bear for my partner, and before the bear showed, a nice sized forked horn blacktailed buck showed almost immediately. I've seen several videos of Wayne Carlton calling in bears, some right to the backside of the same tree Wayne was set up on, and while I've never let one get that close, I have shot them with bow and arrow under 10 yds. on several occasions.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Moose Man » 09 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

While I haven't gotten one yet, the Wayne Carlton video provided a lot of insight. He also has a call using a regular diaphragm that is pretty easy to do.

Search for bear calling on YouTube and you should find some clips.

Best of luck!
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby ishy » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Love that Carlton video...about as much as you can love a non elk video. Haven't called in a bear yet, but friends have in the spring and fall with a distressed calf call.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L