Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado's jungle gym

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado's jungle gym

Postby no limits » 09 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

went to gmu371 this year to hunt elk. Talked to 3 different people on this unit before I decided to hunt it and none of them mentioned anything about all of the pine beetle kill and blow down in the area. chit man thought I was in a jungle gym stepping over, crawling over, ducking under and walking around blow down about ever 10 steps or so. I new it was going to be tough, I've been in the mountains before and haven't had any trouble hiking in. I went in about 2 miles and it felt like I went 20 miles stepping over or ducking under everything the whole way. Is this a normal thing for Colorado now where nobody would mention this to me? If someone would have told me maybe to reconsider my choice because of all the blow down in the area, at least I would've had a heads up. I feel they should have to disclose this to the hunters that call on these units, I'm from out of state, I can't just decide to go scout any unit that I want to hunt like the locals can. They need a map of these units to show how bad the blow down is in that particular area. Are all the gmu's like this or can you still find units without a ton of beetle kill and blow down? I know I wasn't in top notch shape, but I'm not a couch potato either. any advice on a better unit would be appreciated. thanks in advance
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Re: Colorado's jungle gym

Postby Vanish » 09 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Beetle Kill stuff hasn't really started to fall yet, so maybe you were in an area where something else happened?
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby cnelk » 09 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The devastation pine beetles have created is not anything new.
It surprises me that it didnt come to light during your research of hunting Colorado that it could be an issue while hunting

Here is a useful link

http://csfs.colostate.edu/pdfs/2012-mpb ... ap-web.pdf
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby no limits » 09 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I did hear about it and should have asked about it myself instead of expecting them to educate me. I didn't realize there was a map either thank you, does that link cover the whole state?
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby mtnmutt » 09 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I used to live in 371 before beetle kill took off. Because that forest has not burned in over 100 years, there has always been a ton of deadfall.

I have scouted 371 and 37. Not all of 371 is filled with beetle kill, but it is all filled of deadfall.

My primary GMU Southwest of 371 has very low beetle kill, but tons of deadfall.

I was so tired of lifting my short legs over the stuff that I switched to lightweight Goretex trail running shoes this year. Makes for faster travel over forest pixie sticks.
mtnmutt

Postby Indian Summer » 09 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Pixie sticks!!! That's what I call them. If it's really bad even the elk will go around it. Yuk!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro