Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

pedestal taxidermy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

pedestal taxidermy

Postby bnsafe » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

ok most of you have seen my bull and we all know he is to small to mount, but, im a mo guy who has dreamed of hunting elk in the mnts for 42 yrs now. this was one of those times in your life that the dream out weighs common sense so im mounting him. I really want to put him on a pedestal mount but was wondering if anybody had pics of theirs on a pedestal and if anybody knew how to do the trees leaves etc to make it look good.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: pedestal taxidermy

Postby GetemDuck » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

the mount is about the memory not the size of the rack. I got my first antelope mounted and he was only 13.5" nothing huge but every time i look at him I remember the hunt. Pedestal mounts are cool just make sure you have to wall/floor space and then go for it.

Congrats on the elk!
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby bnsafe » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

thx brad, my goat is more like 8 inches, lol, an I regret not having it mounted to the point im gonna talk to a taxidermist and see if there is any way he can do it with a new cape. but a picture sure is a lot cheaper, lol
bnsafe

Postby JGH » 09 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Taxidermy is about the memories and the animal ... not a scorecard.

There will be people -- mostly non-hunters -- who look at your elk and wonder if it's a small one. They may not understand.

My first and only archery bull is a 4x5 and not a big one ... but he's over my fireplace! And you know what? Hunters who visit my house understand very well the pride I take in having him there, and the special memories that I have. Guys who have access to private-land hay-field long-range rifle hunting may have bigger bulls at home, but I think they must feel a little inadequate when they see my "small" public land DIY bull.

As for pedestals, I wish I had a picture ... I really like the pedestal mounts and they put the viewer on level with the animal.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Bnsafe. How did you make out with designing your mount? Mine is still on my dining room table. I have to contact another taxidermist this weekend and see his work.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby bnsafe » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I havnt done anything yet dave. the head is at the taxi but will be a year so ive got some time. getting ideas together now.
bnsafe

Postby Z Barebow » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Check out some examples at this website. Only one elk but might give you some ideas.

http://www.dakotataxidermy.com/?page_id=37&nggpage=2
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby bnsafe » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I saw that when I was searching. I would love to have mine like that but im sure that's very expensive. I may mount it on the wall then buy a cheap end table from hobby lobby etc an put my fake brush on it. just not sure yet
bnsafe

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

That is sharp (Dakota tax). I've had taxidermist tell me I don't want it strait out they said they only do 90dg so looking elsewhere. Had some advise from folks on here so I will ck them out.( local taxidermist ). I'm thinking I will have my dad or brother in law make the base.(carpenter and cabinet maker). But will see. Strange how that dollar bill changes how we want things.
Triplebhunters

Postby bnsafe » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 10]

yes it does. I wanted my uncle to make one for me but he is to sick with cancer so that's out. having a family member make it would add personal value an be great.
bnsafe

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I would like mine in a bugle pose. I will discuss with a taxidermist what size they recommend, but am headstrong with making him life size height. I have a full mount 235 pd black bear on one side of living room and want to put him on other side. Also throwing through mind what to make the base functional for something else. Fish tank for my Muskie, book case, shelf look. Lots of ideas. Any input from others helps.
Dave
Triplebhunters

Postby Mojostylee24 » 11 21, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Fish tank for my Muskie,

So sorry I dont have anything to add to this thread but I have to ask...Do you have a pet Muskie!? I really hope so, I caught a catfish in a pond and kept it in a tank for a year trying to "grow" it to eating size when I was a kid. My parents still laugh about that.

-Mojo
Mojostylee24

First Name: James
Last Name: Anderson