Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bow tuning tips

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bow tuning tips

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I know many of us live in remote areas that are a long drive to the nearest archery shop. And once you get to a shop, a lot of the time you find the so called bow tech doesn't really know all that much in the first place and would just as soon sell you something new rather than work on your old piece of equipment.

That alone should be a good enough reason to educate ourselves and become better bow mechanics. There is a fellow in Kentucky by the name of Kenny Parsons. He has a little archery shop and seems to be pretty sharp. He stresses learning how to maintain and tune your own bow and arrows on his website,www.bowtuningtips.com. And he also sells the tools needed to get the job done. He also shows how to tie all the special knots that many pro shops kinda like to keep secret so you'll keep coming back. LOL!

Besides having his own site, he also does tons of posting on Youtube. Just go to youtube.com and type in bowtuningtips and you'll find enough stuff to keep you reading all evening.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Bow tuning tips

Postby ctdad » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I sent my bow off to one of the internet "tuners" this summer to see what all the rage was about. It took me significant changes to get my bow fixed after I got it back. He hadn't even set center shot correctly, let alone broad head tuned. He told me that all of that would be done before I sent it. He did get it to shoot ten feet per second faster but I wasn't impressed. Lesson learned, I can do it myself better. I have everything I need and then some. I think everyone should learn to do it yourself. If my setup fell apart on a trip, I'd be back hunting within a day without ever leaving hunting camp.
ctdad

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Good thread WW. I will check it out. I do need to learn to do more.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Bullnuts » 10 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I keep a portable press (Bowmaster), extra string, cable, screws, bolts, bow square, center shot tool, and an assortment of other tools in my hunting tool box that stays in camp. I can fix virtually anything, outside of a broken bow, on the run and I rely on walk back tuning to get my broadheads to fly straight if I have to make any adjustments. Also, it's a good idea to write down EVERYTHING about your bow when it's shooting just right. A/A, brace height, draw weight, distance from the top of the nock to the bottom of the peep, etc. All that stuff is written down in permanent marker on the inside lid of my tool box. If you have to replace a cut string or cable in camp, all these measurements will get you back up and running without having to go to a pro shop.
Bullnuts

Postby cnelk » 10 08, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Good info Bullnuts
I also write down the distance between all my pins.
That way I only have to sight in my 20yd pin to be back in action
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bowhunter » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I do the same Bullnuts but I never thought about the sight measurement Cnelk. Now that I think about it though all one would have to do is sight in the 20yd pin by moving the whole sight and you would be ok. However if you dropped your bow and damaged your sight and had to repair or replace it sight measurements would be a valuable bit of imformation. I will have to add that to my notes.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Bowhunter » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I was thinking after my last post. I know that is scarry LOL. I have seen some sights in some recent Bowhunting mags that you sight in the 20yd pin and then when you adjust the 30yd, as you sight it in, all the others below move as you move the 30 at a progressive rate and after the 30 all others are (Supposed) to be on target. I would think that this would work for a given arrow weight at a given speed. I don't believe all the hipe of some new fangled gadgets. Common mechanical and mathmatical wisdom should tell us that they won't work.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Bowhunter wrote:I was thinking after my last post. I know that is scarry LOL. I have seen some sights in some recent Bowhunting mags that you sight in the 20yd pin and then when you adjust the 30yd, as you sight it in, all the others below move as you move the 30 at a progressive rate and after the 30 all others are (Supposed) to be on target. I would think that this would work for a given arrow weight at a given speed. I don't believe all the hipe of some new fangled gadgets. Common mechanical and mathmatical wisdom should tell us that they won't work.

it works. you give the sight two "knowns" and it adjust the rest of them. any arrow speed.

having said that, i dont have the sight. i like my sight pins independent. i dont have issues adjusting them. i like it.

for a hunting bow, i take a photo..and then print a pic and write down all my lengths. i put a sharpie mark on my cam. writing down pin spacing is a good idea! i did it when i sent my sight in for repairs. got the pins right back easy. i put a piece of paper up against the pins in the sight ring and used a sharpie to make dots at the correct spacing. i then had a template to set my pins. it is still magneted to my fridge. heeh.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Bullnuts » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Oh yea, don't forget the serving thread, mole skin, and shrink tubing. I have all that stuff in my box, too, and every season I'll use something out of the box while I'm in camp.
Bullnuts

Postby fm » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I keep a assortment of allen screws in differant sizes in my tool box. Have not needed them but once. Broke a sight and had to put on a spare and the dove tails where differant thickness's, the old screws where to short. It pays to bring things you don't think you will ever use sometimes. I allso use alot of sting wax while I'm out west.
fm