Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2013 Hunt recap

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2013 Hunt recap

Postby Mikeha33 » 10 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve been back from CO on my first elk hunt, and I have been overwhelmed with everything, so I haven’t had time to put anything on here about my trip. But here is a quick rundown of the events that took place, and also, the ones that didn’t.

This was my first trip into the mountains, so I was a green as you could get, and although I hunt for whitetails in KS with a bow, I have never hunted anywhere else, so saying I was anxious is an understatement.

My buddy Mike and I arrived at the trailhead, about (11,100’) late into the night on Labor Day, around midnight, and decided to sleep in the truck, so we didn’t have to unpack our packs to get set up, so I didn’t get out my bag, just my puffy, and that was a mistake. It had rained almost all day, and the temperature got to about 38, too cold for me without a bag. When we woke up, the sun was starting to peak, and after wiping the condensation off the inside of the windshield, spirits changed, immediately. There was a cow elk standing not 30 yds from the front bumper of the truck, right in the middle of the closed road. Of course, our bows were nestled away in cases, so there was no shot opportunity (I had said I was chasing antlers for 4 days, then after that I’d shoot the first legal elk that presented itself, but once I spent $596 on my OTC tag, the goal changed; fill the freezer!!!!) The cow wandered off, and we hustled to get ready and get hot on her trail, but she escaped us.
That was the only elk we saw, or heard the entire week.

However, the 2nd day of the trip, I had an experience unlike anything I could of imagined would happen.

My hunting buddy and I decided, that since we were not seeing or hearing any elk, we would separate, and hunt/scout different directions. He went North, and I went South, about 2 miles from where we’d set up our tent, which was about 4 miles in from the truck, with the agreement to meet back at the tent at dark, even if one of us had killed. I made my way up a steep slope, to about 11700’, overlooking a park and several slopes, where I could see for a mile or so, took my pack off, leaned up against a deadfall tree, got comfy, and started glassing. After about 30 minutes, and nearing dusk , I ate a pack of crackers, and got thirsty, so I reached over my shoulder and turned my head to grab my bladder straw.

When I turned my head, I could see out of the corner of my eye, about 30 feet from me, was a mountain lion, crouched, and belly crawling towards me. I immediately rolled over onto my knees, trying to stay low, and drew my sidearm and aimed at the cat. I had a .45, but it might as well have been a pine needle in a hurricane, because I was shaking like I can’t even explain, and there is no way I could have hit my target even if I had emptied the magazine. I stayed on my knees, partially hidden behind the tree, for protection, in my mind, and flipped the safety down, and put my finger on the trigger. The cat kept crawling, and took 4 more strides towards me. At that point I freaked out. I jumped up, and started screaming at the cat, and I couldn’t even tell you what I said, and I’m sure the Lord wouldn’t repeat it. When I did that, it immediately stopped, sat on its haunch, and stared at me. No, stared through me. Then just as casual as can be, it turned and walked back into the stand of timber to my right, gone forever.
I can’t even begin to describe the rush of emotions that came over me for the next hour. Every possible horrifying thought in the world played out in my head. I made it back to camp, in the dark, 2 miles, up over a 12000’ ridge, with 25 lbs on my back, in right at 30 minutes, with my bow strapped to my pack, pistol in hand, safety off, the entire way. When I got back, I tried to tell Mike what had happened, but I couldn’t even get the words out clearly, and he thought I was going to go into shock, (which I don’t think was happening), but, I was as scared for my life as I’ve ever been. I did not sleep 1 minute that night.

That incident ruined the next several days for me, as I was no longer looking for elk first, I was watching my back, and concerned with my own survival. Towards the end of the trip, I was OK again, regaining confidence that I would survive, but dammit, I could not wait to get home and squeeze my kids and wife.

That being said, and eating a bowl of $600 tag soup, we’re leaving September 5th, 2014 to do it again.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: 2013 Hunt recap

Postby bnsafe » 10 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

sounds like an awesome experience. I think sometimes its a good thing to hunt in woods where your not the only predator, or even on top of the food chain. it sure brings out emotions you don't normally feel. that is living.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 10 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Some guys have all the luck.

I have never seen a mtn lion in all the years hunting the Colorado mtns
Im sure they have seen me tho.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Bumber about the tag soup. But wow what a rush, havnt seen any cats 3 years in co. Maybe not only cold shot practice for next year, possibly a quick shot predator shoot as well.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Swede » 10 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Most of us have read stories in the news paper or seen articles on the local evening news about someone "lost in the woods". Sometimes they are never found. Ever wonder why thy got off the trail? Hummm The wildlife department says cats are not really dangerous. What do you think would have happened if you had not seen the kitty when you did?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bowhunter » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

cnelk wrote:I have never seen a mtn lion in all the years hunting the Colorado mtns
Im sure they have seen me tho.

This reminds me of a story from a guy I was hunting with in Idaho. He said he and a cople friends were hunting and spotted a nice Mule deer buck so one guy started the stalk while the other two glassed from above. When the hunter returned the other two asked if he saw that cat. The hunter didn't but most of his stalk he was being followed about 15-20 yds by a cat and he didn't even know. :o
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby tdiesel » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Have found their tracks in my tracks in the fresh snow but I never knew anything was around. like cnelk I have never seen one that I know of have had them circle down wind on calling set ups but we never saw it just tracks they are sneaky little buggars and one animal we try to call in every year but haven't had any luck. glad to hear it worked out for you
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Postby Mikeha33 » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Most of us have read stories in the news paper or seen articles on the local evening news about someone "lost in the woods". Sometimes they are never found. Ever wonder why thy got off the trail? Hummm The wildlife department says cats are not really dangerous. What do you think would have happened if you had not seen the kitty when you did?

Swede, that is the part that caused the emotional rush, after the fact, because I truly believe, that had I not turned to get a drink, that cat would have pounced on me. I don't know if i could have killed it or not once it was on me, but I had my pistol on my thigh, and a 6" razor sharp knife on my belt, so I'd have fought to the death, literally. I locked eyes with the cat when it stopped and sat back and stared at me, for what seemed like eternity, but in reality was probably 7-10 seconds, and it was not scared of me, I was just another meal.

I was mentally prepared to see a cat, I thought, because my hunting partner has seen cats on 3 of his 4 trips up in that part, before this trip, so I thought I was ready, but I wasn't, especially like this.

I know I messed up by being an absolute rookie in the mountains, and being by myself, where nobody knew exactly where I was. Not even my hunting partner. Had that cat injured me badly, and not killed me, I don't know what I would of done, but we were a ways away from anywhere.
The hardest part for me was wrapping my mind around what almost was. To be completely honest, the fact that I was possibly seconds away from never seeing my children or wife again, or my kids growing up with out their dad there, broke me down to somewhere I had never been before, and it was a real possibility that I would have never been found. I know all of this seems far fetched and exaggerated, but when you're alone, and something like this happens, it is different, and difficult to explain.

It wont keep me out of the mountains, but I promise, I will never, ever, hunt in the mountains out of earshot of another person.

Before I left for the trip, my mother kissed me on the forehead, and blessed me with the sign of the cross (Catholics, you'll know what I mean) on my forehead, and said a prayer to keep me safe and bring me home safe, which I appreciated, but I thought was silly (I'm not as spiritual as she is, but I am a believer), but I know the good Lord made my pallet dry and turned my head, He was watching over me.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey