Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Crazy how the mind works.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Crazy how the mind works.

Postby Broken arrow » 10 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Was sitting here thinking about my elk hunt and something funny to me....
I was hundreds of miles from home alone miles from the nearest road in a place that an injury can put you up you know what creek without a paddle. Bears mountain lions ever changing weather yet I never felt afraid worried slept like a baby. Yet here in mo I really don't like walking around in the woods in the dark much. Can't help but laugh at myself.
Broken arrow

Re: Crazy how the mind works.

Postby cnelk » 10 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Different predators = Different thoughts :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 10 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

cnelk wrote:Different predators = Different thoughts :)

+1. Be aware of the 4 legged predators and be worried about the 2 legged.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I agree with the above posts. I have little or no worries about being in the forest. Even after dark I am comfortable out there alone. You could not get me to take a walk after dark in many parts of Portland. In fact I would just as soon not go there at all. There are just too many crazy animals there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I'd be afraid about walking around some of those Missouri hills even in the daylight, let alone after dark. Some of them fellers with good recipes can get mighty protective if you know what I mean. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Broken arrow » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

All joking aside. If you've every had a pack of yodies follow you barking and yipping never showing themselves. I can tell you it'll make the hair on your neck stand up! :shock:
Broken arrow

Postby Swede » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have heard a lot of coyotes over the years. Some were close, but I have never been concerned that I was on their menu. I have never had them purposefully follow me. It has been my observation, a bow hunter has to be very careful to get set and draw their bow to be able to shoot one. I suppose I could have shot a few, but I remember only shooting one from a tree stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

That's funny broken arrow. I don't camp in, I camp at trail head, but was talking to the wife about the growth of rino gonads out west. Confidence and contentment are building to the point I reminded myself to remember to respect the wild. Now i have to buy a holster for my 40 and remember to respect the wild, two and four legged animals. And we all know two legged are more dangerous.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby ishy » 10 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I did get a littl enervous this year, just because of the wallow I sat was so far in and very few people knew right where I was none of them close enough to do anything if there wsa a problem. It was over the top steep with deadfall and that made me nervous in the dark...then it rained and it was almost impossible to navigate in the dark without acouple of falls each trip. I have taken a mtn lion while elk hunting before at 20 yards, but still don't pack heat. Each year I think about it, and get closer the more wolves I hear around my area.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Mikeha33 » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Maybe you saw my post about my cougar encounter that I had in CO this year, but looking back on the whole situation, I think the thing that scared me the most, and was most nerve-wracking about the whole ordeal was the endless thoughts and possibilities and dark places my mind went after the ordeal, and the 2 mile hike back to camp, alone, and in the dark, for my first mountain hunt.
Definitely crazy how it works.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey