Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

yote hunting out west

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

yote hunting out west

Postby bnsafe » 11 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

ok guys, im REALLY bored. tell me what I need to know bout callin in yotes out west. I tried in mo but never called in a dog. I realize wind an camo, but what calls do I use, what time of year, etc. I will be buying a e caller at some point. thanks
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: yote hunting out west

Postby bnsafe » 11 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I cant find the regs for Colorado. any magazine restrictions for yote huntin with a ar 15. times dates etc.
bnsafe

Postby Buglemaster » 11 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've been calling coyotes for close to 40 years Scott & it's about as much fun as you can ask for in the winter months. I'll give a couple pointers from my experience . You mentioned wind. That's a real big one. I HATE calling in wind over about 10 mph & much prefer no wind at all. On windy days the call doesn't carry well except downwind so generally anything that hears the call also will pick up your scent before they are even in sight. Avoid windy days as your just educating them. I use both mouth calls as well as a fox pro with great results. Either cotton tail or jackrabbit sounds work well out here in eastern Colo & I try to match what's in the area I'm hunting. Some years there are more jacks & others more cottontails. Another tip that was shared with me a long time ago by a great predator caller was try to imagine & duplicate what a rabbit would sound like if it was being ripped apart. A rabbit doesn't have very much lung capacity so keep each call short as well as the duration of each series of calls. Sound as pitiful & frantic as you can & keep each series relatively short, 20-30 seconds with mabe 2 minutes between series. Start out real soft with your calls as often if there is a real close coyote it will scare them. If nothing shows after the first series, gradually crank it up to reach farther out. Rarely do I set longer than 20 minutes per set. Generally if I haven't seen something in the first 15 minutes, there's just nothing home. That's not cut in stone as I've waited on a few that were extremly cautious for up to 35 minutes. It will depend a lot on how much calling pressure they have had. I've been with guys who start blasting at 300 yds. If he's coming good, let him get in close (30-100) yds, it's a lot more fun & your success will improve. Avoid quick movement when the dog is visible. He knows exactly where you are & will pick up a quick movement & generally show you one of his own promptly. My favorite time to call is right after a snow storm breaks. They have been laid up for a day or two & are ready for a warm meal. Makes spotting them a lot easier also. I've called & killed close to 500 coyotes in those 40 years & will guarantee you, do it just once & you will be a full fledged coyote calling addict. Mabe we can get together some time up around Windsor. My son lives there & we visit often. Good luck! Chime in all the rest of you varmint callers.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby cnelk » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I love calling coyotes about as much as calling elk

If you do what Buglemaster mentioned, you will have a great time.
I do the exact same as he does, even 200 miles west of where he is

Here is a good morning hunt

Even my kids love to go

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

thanks a ton guys, holy cow that looks fun. Im sure you have all heard yotes don't respond well east an that has been my experience. not sure why. I may have to go get a caller today an start.
is there certain times of the year calls work best, time for rabbit vs time for mating calls etc.
buglemaster, when your up this way give me a shout. even if we don't hunt we can grab a lunch an talk shop.
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

also, anybody have any experience with the primos turbo dawg. I read some reviews an looks like it has good sounds but remote sucks if you don't have the caller off the ground.
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Scott
I use any open reed call that I have handy, even elk calls

Since I hunt N. Park, I like to wait until the elk seasons are over so I typically start about Thanksgiving.
That way the coyotes have settled down some from the elk/deer hunters pounding on them.

Wherever you go, fur prices are WAY UP this year.
Carry a can of RAID and a big garbage bag in your truck.
Toss the dog in the bag, spray some RAID in there, tie it up to kill the fleas.
By the time you get home, they will be good and dead before skinning
cnelk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Brad: Bunglemaster is too modest. Besides being a great BSer, he has won several calling competition hunts. Just a great guy to hang around with.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

thx brad, I just bought a turbo dawg so will see how that works. now I gotta take my ar 15 apart an get all the tactical stuff off it and get it ready for yotes. or buy another rifle :D
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

well I just spent a lot of time searching the co dnr site looking for info about yote hunting. didn't find anything about magazine restrictions, etc. so I may have to go out this weekend.
bnsafe

Postby Swede » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I have heard the coyote populations are down in eastern Oregon. I would guess the rabbit population has hit a low point. I sure saw no shortage of Pine squirrels. Are you observing the same thing in Wyoming and Colorado?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 11 11, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I only saw one rabbit this whole year either pronghorn or elk hunting. come to think of it havnt saw any walking the dog either.
bnsafe

Postby Buglemaster » 11 17, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Have you had a chance to go out & play yet Scott? I went out yesterday afternoon to do a little recon & made 1 set resulting in 1 mangy young dog. No more suffering for him. After 6 or so years of a severe mange plague, I'm ready for it to run its course. I prefer to manage the population myself. Greedy ol fart huh...Brad mentioned the market price was up. Just might have make a trip west to sample some pelts one of these weekends. Got a new Ram I need to break in.
Buglemaster

Postby cnelk » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 14]

The snow has pretty much sent all the elk out into the sage, And of course the doggies will follow.
I havent seen any mange in the high country yet

I know I will up doing some calling within the next week
cnelk

Postby bnsafe » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I havnt yet. I have all my shells, e caller, etc in a bag right next to the rifle but havnt had a chance to get out yet. I have several days off but have to drop my son off an pick him up at school so that takes care of most my days off. hopefully this weekend because we are going back to mo for thx giving. after that its my sons pronghorn hunt then yote hunting til spring bear or turkey.
keep me informed an pumped up with some stories on here. thx guys
bnsafe

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Dang Dave! You got a new truck?? Guess you'll have to furnish the ride on the the next piggy poke. LOL! Buy the way, have you found us a place to go yet? Those hogs are preditors too ya know.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 17]

i grew up in the desert. hunting coyote was a great way to get out into the wilderness.

we had this OLD (new technology back then) electronic call from a company called Burnam brothers. (i think). it had a tape player! it was big,bulky and heavy. but it worked so well. i think my brother still has it. we killed so many dogs. last one, i just hit me as weird. we both just stopped doing it. with our deer rifles, and 22.250, they had no chance. we started it to help this cattle company control the population. they loved us out there. we eventually lost permission. the place was awesome for dove, and jumping desert puddle ducks.

i cant imagine how one of those modern FOXpro calls with a decoy would work. i bet it is amazing.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ishy » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Grew up calling dogs, its great fun in the off season. My Dad still goes more than anyone would admit, he even goes during Sept and October in no mans land in Nevada. Hoping to try to call in a BIG coyote in the coming months here in Idaho. Anybody calling any of them in while elk hunting? Getting a howl is easy, but haven't had any come in yet.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Buglemaster » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 19]

One, or ten of those "big dogs" is at the top of my bucket list. Just glad Colorado doesn't have many of them yet. Correction, we don't have any, so if I ever do see a really big coyote, BANG! Yep Billy, I got us a new ride. Lotsa room & with that hemi, we can even hurry more than we did the last trip..I'm driving! Where was that blind turn off again? CRAP! Yep, that what I said I'm pretty shur...Burnham Brothers Calls... Shhhhhh. That should be kept a secret..
Buglemaster

Postby bnsafe » 11 19, 2013 •  [Post 20]

sounds like a story to me
bnsafe