Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Last Trip of the Year

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Last Trip of the Year

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well, I'm heading out one more time this Friday. Armed with a cooler full of turkey sandwich fixings, I'll drive to the foothills of the Olympics in search of late season Roosevelt Elk and Blacktails. Nothing fancy; will just camp out of my pickup for three nights and hope to get close to one or both of my prey. The critters will be skittish to say the least after enduring numerous mini seasons starting in SEP (early archery, rifle, bazooka, etc.). The mountain bike will be deployed for some long, gated road rides and I'll sit the edges of some clearcuts early/late in the day. The late archery season for elk doesn't end until 15 DEC but I think this is my last hunting adventure this year. Had to download a couple of web pictures so I remember what they look like. I believe these are what I'm after, if memory serves ;) .

David_Moskowitz-Blacktail_Deer_Buck.jpg
David_Moskowitz-Blacktail_Deer_Buck.jpg (22.78 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

595px-Roosevelt_Elk_at_Northwest_Trek.jpg
595px-Roosevelt_Elk_at_Northwest_Trek.jpg (133.89 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Last Trip of the Year

Postby ORelksniper » 11 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Good luck, Phantom. Glad to see you're prepared with photos of prospective "dance partners".

You guys have a bazooka season up there? Awesome! ODFW only let's us use frags. Don't want us to get an unfair advantage.
ORelksniper

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Weird, no bazooka season in OR? At least you still have the frag season ;). Dang WDFW still limits the max range in bazooka season so I'll continue to use a bow. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family sniper. Will do my darnedest to do some 'dancing ' this weekend.
WapitiTalk1

Postby easeup » 11 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

good luck to fill the freezer.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks buddy. Will give it a shot.
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 28, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Good Luck partner! This should be in the Elk Hunting Forum! Don't be bashful. (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul