Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Swap hunts?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Swap hunts?

Postby Indian Summer » 12 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Elk for ?

Anyone interested? If so let me know what you have to offer. Just a quick thought and I figured I'd test the waters.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Swap hunts?

Postby cnelk » 12 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Joe
You know This topic has been beat up over the years on many forums :)

You will hear about how each state has different laws, and how that money cant exchange hands.
But in essence, all it boils down to is 2 guys meeting up and going hunting.

I met a guy online and hunted with a guy that visits here on occasion.
I had an absolute grand time with him.
He actually even filmed my 2012 elk hunt :)

Im not sure if we will ever 'trade' hunts, just because we became good friends and I hope we can just get together whenever we can

Aint that right... 'Herb' ?

Indian Summer
You dont want to trade a hunt with me... Im a jerk :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby AmericanBwana » 12 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

+1
cnelk wrote:You dont want to trade a hunt with me... Im a jerk :)
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

cnelk wrote:Indian Summer
You dont want to trade a hunt with me... Im a jerk :)

Cnelk: I don't know if that is what you were eluding to on the other thread, but just so you know, you are welcome in my camp anytime. I think the only thing we will need to get straight up front is, who cooks and who does the dishes. Ok, I give you can do both. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Willie makit » 12 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

IS you can come hunt with me down here in the bayou state, we have a lease near Davis island, unfortunately we rarely see a big mature buck, usually around130" and 200# is considered big. I got a 140" several years ago and a 165" was taken last year but those two are exceptions, not the rule. We are only about a mile from Davis island and I've never understood why we don't see a few " monsters" every now and then, even on trail cams???
Tensas federal refuge is nearby but is harder to hunt, well easy to hunt, hard to find the deer. But when you do cross paths with one they can be huge. I hunted 5 days last year, daylight to dark and saw not a hide one, but you never know. Seen pics from co workers and always a few monsters killed each year. Talk of bear hunts in 2014 but that's unofficial. Doesn't this sound like a deal? Lol

Your best bet is to come speargun hunting with me in Arkansas and let the wife go hunt for diamonds at the local public diamond mine. You can stay at my cabin and we can whack some fish. I'll try not to be a jerk, at least I promise not to cuss, fuss and swear when you miss ( and you WILL miss). No promises on not laughing though! And yes I do have some honey holes.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Joe, I'll trade you 10 prairiedogs for one elk. But you don't like Colorado. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Man... rough crowd. I guess my comments on the "jerk thread" will haunt me forever.

Cnelk.... I've ran into you in the rowdy bar. I wondered if Old Sarge would post "THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW!!!!" He hates those threads. Then someone would say "not in my state" followed by posts saying just don't exachange monet etc etc. But since I'm a licensed outfitter it IS legal. Gotcha Old Sarge if you're out there. :lol:

Willie you made me laugh. I miss too once in a blue moon. Will you make me go wait in the truck? That guy is well known I my parts.... for being a huge ego maniac and the biggest jerk you can imagine. Those stories aren't the half of it. Everyone who knows him feels sorry for his wife.

American Bwana.. ok, I guess I'll take your word for it. ???

I think it's simple... split any costs equally and have a good time with your friend. Might not want to advertise it in North American Hunter magazine either because there ARE jerks out there. lol.

Believe me I know the laws.

I'm looking for big game only. Bucks or bulls. Or anything furry in Alaska.
Indian Summer

Postby ctdad » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Willie, 130 inch white tail deer are good deer. Many people talk about 170 inch deer like they kill one every year. I shoot big bucks darn near every year and I don't let too many 130's walk. A lot of my friends will see pics of my deer I kill and over score them by 20 inches. I blame hunting shows constantly over scoring deer they shoot for ratings.
ctdad

Postby Indian Summer » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

ctdad wrote:Willie, 130 inch white tail deer are good deer. Many people talk about 170 inch deer like they kill one every year. I shoot big bucks darn near every year and I don't let too many 130's walk. A lot of my friends will see pics of my deer I kill and over score them by 20 inches. I blame hunting shows constantly over scoring deer they shoot for ratings.

Exactly. I find that the guys who talk numbers all the time in reality don't have a clue. "I swear he went 400" I say if that were true you'd have to go change your underwear and your eyes would still be bulging out of your head. TV shows have a huge effect on hunters. A negative one. There are only a couple I consider worth my time out of the hundreds of them and I personally know some of the hosts of the ones I don't watch. lol

I'd shoot a 130 buck or a 280 bull any day of the week. Not on a video game either. :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby cnelk » 12 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

How about calling coyotes on a ranch ?
Big beautiful $100 pelts - what kind of trade would that get? :)

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Willie makit » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

No joe, won't make you sit in truck, maybe you'll get put in time out on the boat though, lol. When your gill-whacking you get lots of practice with no harm done, well maybe your ego gets a little scuffed up a bit, after all a long shot is 5' :)

Personally I can't recall a single deer I ever measured for his "score", it just never has mattered to me. If we down a nice deer dad is the one that breaks out the tape, my guess it's just his way to put on paper how the size of deer has improved over the last 30 + years.

I've found that antler recipes are more elusive than those 170" deer. :)
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby Indian Summer » 12 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I had my first bow killed 6 point scored because the taxidermist said he though it would make book and I had no clue and was curious. It did. Then one more when I though another bow killed bull might make 320 which it did. I entered the first one. The guy who scored the 2nd one kept sending me emails asking when I was going to enter it. he was from Pa and was overjoyed to have been asked to measure it. I was just curious about the official score but didn't care about the book and have never entered that one. Part of the reason I had those 2 scored was so I would be educated on the subject. I have clients who want to know what they are looking at. I'll tell you one thing... people who don't know for sure have NO clue. My 320 has MONSTER 3rds and darn big 4ths. I bet over half the people who yak away about numbers would see it afield and come back swearing they saw a 350+... and believing it was true. I don't listen to a word from the number yakkers. I like character as much as size. When it comes to moose everyone talks spread. 60 inches is the holy grail. I like big cupped brows with 4 or more points on them.

I guess if I was going to consider a trade for whitetail bucks I'd ask about score since they live in my back yard. I sure am interested in a 160+ mulie.

Brad I'd like to hunt with you for a half dozen reasons and $100 pelts aren't on that list.
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Dang CNElk that first dog is a big coyote

I may never be able to collect on the trade
But anyone coming through the Pocatello Idaho area I can get you on a fair to great goose hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Ya cnelk...just how tall are you that thing is impressive even if you're 5'2" that looks like a book coyote. You should have him scored! J/K
Back to the original topic, I have thought about trading hunts just because I am a broke family man but have somehow managed to aquire 12 points for Utah. So have been tempted to look into swapping some elk help for some other stuff that Idaho had an overaboundance of bear, wolf, whitetail etc...that utah doesn't have or you have to draw for.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Indian Summer » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 15]

ishy wrote:Back to the original topic, I have thought about trading hunts just because I am a broke family man but have somehow managed to aquire 12 points for Utah. So have been tempted to look into swapping some elk help for some other stuff that Idaho had an overaboundance of bear, wolf, whitetail etc...that utah doesn't have or you have to draw for.

Wanted: Broke family man with 12 Utah points looking for someone to apply as a party! :D
Indian Summer

Postby ishy » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 16]

You got horses? And just how many points do you have?
ishy

Postby ishy » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Just looked at your info...Penn is too far to drag a flee bag horse for some reason I was thinking you were a Montana guy-you probably have a story or two from there.
You ever been on a guided hunt unit 10 in Idaho? I worked for an outfitter that took a Pennsylvania Joe out 15+ yrs ago.
ishy

Postby Huntrgathr » 12 11, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I hunt solo 99% of the time but would love to share the campfire ( and fuel cost) with the right guy. I have good areas for just about everything :
Mulies
Elk
Bear
Turkey
Yotes
Wolves
Mushrooms ( not that kind, morels and stuff)
Upland

I've got tons of scouting info that I'd possibly trade too if you don't want to hunt together...

Only 5 points in Utah... :)
Huntrgathr

Postby Indian Summer » 12 11, 2013 •  [Post 19]

ishy wrote:Just looked at your info...Penn is too far to drag a flee bag horse for some reason I was thinking you were a Montana guy-you probably have a story or two from there.
You ever been on a guided hunt unit 10 in Idaho? I worked for an outfitter that took a Pennsylvania Joe out 15+ yrs ago.

Guided hunt? I'm a licensed Montana outfitter so no. lol I have story or two.... or two hundred from there. Not looking to do anything in Pa. Like I said... big game. Probably for big bulls only or good mulie bucks. Truly big whitetails as well. I'd kill for a chance at good moose hunt in BC or Alaska. Do it yourself too obviously. I have outfitter friends from Alaska to Africa. The only points I have are for Wyoming elk, Wyoming deer, and Colorado deer.

Huntrgathr... where do you live and hunt?
Indian Summer

Postby Huntrgathr » 12 11, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Idaho. I SEE 160+ class bucks. It might take you 5 years to kill one... PM me if you want.
Huntrgathr

Postby ishy » 12 13, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I think I have to much info already...at least the computer kind harvest %, draw odds, etc... I really should by a spike tag and go hunt the unit I want the year before I plan to draw. Just can't pull it off yet. Another issue for putting in with someone else is the lack of tags for nonresidents, couple units I'm interested in only give one nr archery tags. So no bonus tag for high points and you have to put in solo.
ishy